What's your tying setup look like?

First photo is overview of tying/poker/man cave room.

Second is the tying station I threw together one day. It was actually cleaned up for once, then Jay got drunk and started producing 6" streamers.

Third is a mobile material storage. It is on rubber rollers so I can wheel it into a small closet off the basement entry.

Last is a group of Czech nymphs I tied up the other day just because they have a hilarious name. Well that and I think they are awesome looking. Any one (other than Jay) know the name of this series?

Attachments

• P1160228.JPG
    P1160228.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 5
  • P1160229.JPG
    P1160229.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 3
  • P1160230.JPG
    P1160230.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 3
  • P1160232.JPG
    P1160232.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 4
Jdad,
Wow. Now that's a serious tying set up - nice!

Thanks. My carpentry skills far exceed my tying skills.

This will probably be of interest to you, Fishidiot. I had the opportunity a number of years ago to harvest a few select maple trees from the battlefield in Gettysburg. I lucked out and found some of the most amazing heavily figured curly maple. Really awesome stuff, with a historical significance of sorts (trees not that old but was on a famous national battle ground park). Getting them out of there was tough, as we could not impact the "landscaping". Anyway, we took them out, hand sawed the logs, solar kiln dried. All of this was done with traditional hand tools. I donated a good bit of the stuff I produced, gave a lot to friends and family that were into that type of history. The cool thing is I got to really refine my hand tool skills,while producing items that allowed for a fair amount of error in the learning curve. We used traditional finishes as well. I still have a few hundred board feet in a storage shed over in Ephrata. I have got to get back on that some day.

jdaddy wrote:

Thanks. My carpentry skills far exceed my tying skills.

This will probably be of interest to you, Fishidiot. I had the opportunity a number of years ago to harvest a few select maple trees from the battlefield in Gettysburg. I lucked out and found some of the most amazing heavily figured curly maple. Really awesome stuff, with a historical significance of sorts (trees not that old but was on a famous national battle ground park). Getting them out of there was tough, as we could not impact the "landscaping". Anyway, we took them out, hand sawed the logs, solar kiln dried. All of this was done with traditional hand tools. I donated a good bit of the stuff I produced, gave a lot to friends and family that were into that type of history. The cool thing is I got to really refine my hand tool skills,while producing items that allowed for a fair amount of error in the learning curve. We used traditional finishes as well. I still have a few hundred board feet in a storage shed over in Ephrata. I have got to get back on that some day.

Neat story. I agree that wood from the battlefield, esp from very old trees ("witness trees" we call em) has some sentimental value. I'm told there was a time not too long ago that saw mills looked askance at lumber from around G-burg, esp oak and walnut, due to the problem of shrapnel and bullets in the wood that supposedly could damage saws. Whether it's true or not I don't know but we certainly do have hundreds of local trees that were standing during the battle. We lose a couple every year and woodworkers nowadays seem eager to get the wood for these sentimental reasons.

Man you guys have some great setups. Gfen and Frederick you places look really clean. You guys showing off or is it that way all the time? Wsender Nice touch without the Christmas candle. Jdaddy the large screen wins.

I'll need to touch base with you guys. I have been trying to do research on Fly-fishing man caves without much luck.

jdaddy wrote:
First photo is overview of tying/poker/man cave room.

Second is the tying station I threw together one day. It was actually cleaned up for once, then Jay got drunk and started producing 6" streamers.

Third is a mobile material storage. It is on rubber rollers so I can wheel it into a small closet off the basement entry.

Last is a group of Czech nymphs I tied up the other day just because they have a hilarious name. Well that and I think they are awesome looking. Any one (other than Jay) know the name of this series?

Great setup. I love the mechanics cart setup for the materials.

How often do you find bits of peacock herl wedged between your hole cards?

I'll take a stab...... Gary's Hotspots?

Here it is, brand new and not yet used (just bought the house). Since the picture, I've added a light (ott-lite). Some organizers are yet to come, hopefully Christmas presents but if not I'll buy them on my own.

Attachments

• tying_bench.JPG
    tying_bench.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 5
Neat story. I agree that wood from the battlefield, esp from very old trees ("witness trees" we call em) has some sentimental value. I'm told there was a time not too long ago that saw mills looked askance at lumber from around G-burg, esp oak and walnut, due to the problem of shrapnel and bullets in the wood that supposedly could damage saws. Whether it's true or not I don't know but we certainly do have hundreds of local trees that were standing during the battle. We lose a couple every year and woodworkers nowadays seem eager to get the wood for these sentimental reasons.

The shrapnel issue is very real, particularly for folks using the newer band saw blade systems for sawing. Those blades are crazy expensive. Metal detectors take care of most issues, such as nails in trees used for fences, etc, but no real way to pick up that lead! Having said that, there is zero fear when sawing by hand! That is rough work. Looking at my weight right now, I need to saw a few thousand board feet by hand.

I'll need to touch base with you guys. I have been trying to do research on Fly-fishing man caves without much luck.

I use the TV HDMI in from my laptop HDMI out. Really awesome to be able to watch youtube tying videos. I'd be willing to give a review of my man cave as it is pretty tricked out, but anyone that has been to my house can tell you that it's about the only room in the house that is tricked out!

I'll take a stab...... Gary's Hotspots?

Nope, but I like it!

jdaddy wrote:
Fred I like your flashaboo holder.

Thats what she said :lol:

http://www.oasisbenches.com/accessories.htm

jdaddy wrote:
Thats what she said http://www.oasisbenches.com/accessories.htm

Dang, I think I might just have to build a few of those. Thanks.

I trade you some homemade, chapstik tube poured, individually labeled dubbing wax for said holder. no?

dkile wrote:
Gfen and Frederick you places look really clean. You guys showing off or is it that way all the time?

The sharpest viewers probably noted the rug..No, its not like that all the time. Things were getting really bad in there, and I needed to clean up for my oncall week incase I needed to work out of the room.

You could no longer see the keyboard under the stacks of junk on it.

I trade you some homemade, chapstik tube poured, individually labeled dubbing wax for said holder. no?

I only roll with the the Gfens special bow rosin/toilet wax ring seal.

I do think I will be able to crank out of quite a few so there could be one in your future.

Geez, there's some really nice set ups here. I have a nice room but I keep it in such a state of unorganized confusion......

As a newbie this is what I have come up with. I don't have as much of materials as you guys, but I am sure I am well on my way. I picked up my light today and my spool holder. The wife has allowed me this dry bar section in my kitchen to do my tying. I am trying to convince her on allowing me to get a little flat screen (less than 20 inches) for the wall.

Attachments

• Tying set up.jpg
    Tying set up.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 5
I remember when my set up looked that clean and organized.

It had to be when you first started out correct? Like I said, I am just starting out, but I am sure my area will look like JayL's in a year or 2.

This my dump.....
DSC05380.jpg

Here's my set up.

I'm bored and decided to mess around w/ HDR....

Attachments

• bench-HDR.jpg
    bench-HDR.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 3
Back