What gear do I need....

I hope you didn't really pick up night vision goggles? If so, use you slick tricks and go after some coyotes:)

You can make do with the 7x leaders. If you get broke off or when the leader shortens to the heavier section, just knot some 4 or 5x on and you now have a stronger leader. BTW, stay far away from 7x if you're using clousers or poppers...

The poppers and clousers I picked up to go with my bass set up. The 7x is going to be used for trout.

ll bean wading jacket- 70 bucks
ll bean emerger waders - 90 bucks
hemos
nail clippers
orvis fly boxes
a fanny pack of some sort, or chest if it floats your boat
studded wading shoes
rio powerflex tippet in 0, 3, 4, 5, 6...I would also suggest beartooth, which is a few dollars cheaper and just as good, though can be hard to find. Indiana Angler will ship to you. Ask for Woody and tell him Josh referred you.
fairplay tapered leaders- 1.96 at walmart
... upon purchasing this leader, attach desired amount and size before using. When a foot remains, reattach another section to desired length. When this foot runs out, clip at the first knot and do over. your leaders will last a long time doing this and you don't have to worry about the dumb formulas these guys post on here.

forget the net... learn to pinch your barbs. When a fish is at your feet, simply grab hook with hemo's, turn, and let the weight of the fish release itself. This is especially crucial when temps are cold and you are wearing wool gloves...

and oh yea, wool gloves, bandanna, patagonia winter hat (preferably), and a normal cap.

and def. nail knot 6 inches of thick mono to fly line as suggested, learn to tie a perfection loop, and loop to loop your leaders. very easy changing when you are switching from modified sink tips (another thing to buy, get in bulk and make your own, then you do not need shot), nymph leaders, dry leaders, etc.

Back