>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
needed a bigger bug in the box for prospecting, tied up a few #12's..
13265891_10208350399351316_4969678522096211693_n-L.jpg

melvinp wrote:
The only thing kind of odd is that I tie a tread base for the cone first so I don't have to build all the thread for the cone at the end it keeps it looking a little cleaner.

melvinp - those are nice flies. Look like the smallies would love 'em. I started putting just a few wraps of lead or lead free wire on the hook shank than jamming that behind the cone to hold it in place. Works well for me.

Yep a # 6 Mustab 3366 on a 20 lds mono loop its about 3in long,No since in messing around. mcsneek I run weighted rap to but first the thread base for the cone first and then push the cone over the base out of the way,then free rap my weight and slide it up against the thread base tie it down with several thread wraps,Then I tie the rest of my fly ,finishing by pushing the cone back over my thread base and against all that hackle then whip finish the very front of the cone.Its looks and holds better than trying to build all that thread up at the last minute.Just don't build it up to the point you cant get the cone over it.If you don't build some kind of base with the jig hook the cone slides up the bend.

Nice ties everyone. Here is one of my all time Tarpon flys. Be fishing them soon. They don't stand a chance.

GenCon

Attachments

• Yello tarpon.jpg
    Yello tarpon.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1
Time for some smallies.

Attachments

• hellgrammite fly2.jpg
    hellgrammite fly2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2
Day (Glo) Crawlers on size 10 Mustad 3906B. Polyester craft store yarn colored with mixed fabric dye markers.

CB81AEAC-F0FF-4080-AACD-67E925B261DA.jpg

Ends singed with a lighter like a SJW. They're big, squishy, and neutrally buoyant. Can't wait to show em to some Trout, Bass, and panfish. Lots more color schemes in my head too!

825738DC-88A3-44C2-B513-94DD4CA128CB.jpg

I like. The orange one reminds me of Cheetos....

Something basic for smallies.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 1
Crayfish2_zpsntsn814a.jpg

Crayfish1_zpszecxkc88.jpg

My very first "crack" at a crayfish. I've seen to may of these in the stream so I thought I would tie something close that looked like 'em. Moose hair claws FWIW.

Nothing special. Fell off the tying train.

Fished buggers for years. They caught fish. Never really fished them hard.

Last couple years I fell for them. I tie them thin, clouser style. I like the eyes to disappear. 10's for trout and 6's for smallies. These are 6's.

Always hated how stark the black ones appear in the water. These brown ones darken quite a bit.

Would love to find some furnace hen with a some smaller hackle like shown and some larger for the 6's. These could use some larger hackle.

Attachments

• woolybugger3.jpg
    woolybugger3.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 2
Well the cicada emergence never quite made it up all the way to home, but I was able to head south and find them in good numbers. These things are a blast to fish, some of the most aggressive takes ive ever seen from a trout on a dry.

Attachments

• cicada.jpg
    cicada.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 3
i finished my recent project

Charlie Mann's Smelt Patterns

smelts%20in%20full%20color_zpsorasbg9e.jpg

20 patterns in all

Gooey Girdle bug with Clouser style glow in the dark craft paint eyes and glow in the dark Squirmy Wormy legs. Craft store black chenille yarn body. Yup!

6FE81553-9333-4415-A257-505A2E3E1042.jpg

Speaking of Squirmy Wormies, you should try them. Hareline distributes wholesale or you can buy smaller lots from FeatherCraft.
There is a little learning curve with material handling. Super glue is the only thing that can hold this stuff. Wrapping thread is interesting.

98D30810-09BD-49B7-A725-3031950DFD2B.jpg

Saltwater Sushi Roll filling up with pencil poppers, traditional Deceivers, Black Death, some old repurposed Gaines epoxy Bonefish bodies, my own Beer Bottle Cap special, and various Flymen Fish Skull streamer experiments. One day I'll get out there.

3C57A38E-0F00-4364-A2DA-518545F6C975.jpg

Boris the Spider - Creeeepy Craawwllly!

2EF7E6B0-5A24-46B9-96C5-1A40B461CAF6.jpg

Faster tie of the foam spider. Less legs and a wider gap hook (Mustad 94840 #10). Many other crazy color combos pending.

Top in bright yellow with matching Lumaflex (spandex) legs:

0469EB55-DA28-442B-9A47-E4FEC3A57A93.jpg

Bottom in Lime Green - note "gurgler" type mouth:

17994C66-4DF6-4280-AFE8-7CAE86BB9112.jpg

RS2's - what a simple great pattern, getting ready for Colorado and got turned on to this pattern, cannot believe I have not seen them used locally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back