>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my version of a sulfur spinner. I tied a dozen of these yesterday for the upcoming season. If you have ever watched any mayfly spinner float down stream. You will see they are not a neat organism. Yes there wings are spent but they don’t really look like most spinner patterns we tie. Their wings are sometimes bent or twisted. Over all disheveled. After watching this one eve it gave me the inspiration for this style. I tried it, the trout approved.

GenCon

Attachments

• sulphur spinner.jpg
    sulphur spinner.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 12 spinners.jpg
    12 spinners.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 2
Dave_W wrote:
nomad_archer wrote:
Very nice dave

Thanks!

Here's another view of the green drake wiggle nymph shown in water. Looking at flies when wet helps, IMO, to get a better feel for how they look and perform.

That is a great GD wiggle nymph ^. You tie even better than our old friend Fishidiot!

Here is a video (it runs at warp speed) showing the steps to tie a similiar GD wiggle nymph. In real time, it takes me close to an hour. If you have the patience and the time, it's a great fly to tie.

The first two elk hair caddis I have ever tied ... first one on scud hook with bwo dubbing .... second on STD dry fly hook with olive dubbing ... work in progress

Pics didn't work. ... ugh

EDIT: Grape,
You will need to resize your pics so that they are under about 200KB. Otherwise they won't upload. Check the Site and Forum comments for further instructions on uploading pics.
We'd like to see you flies.
Dave

This post on tying wiggle nymphs goes all the way back to Pad (for you guys that have been around here for a while).

Pad wrote: And if you WANT to spend that much time tying a fly, go for it. I'm just amazed anyone would want to……. If I spent 15 minutes on a fly, I'd keep it in a glass case on my mantle.

LOL - true enough Pad. When I fish these flies I do everything short renting scuba gear to go after it in the water, or hiring a truck with a “cherry picker” attachment to recover it from a tree.

Wiggle nymphs are my go-to, desperation flies used during desperate times. Sometimes they work better than the stiff-bodied flies for large insects. The bigger the fly, the harder it is to fool the fish with an imitation.

I was fishing the Ausable River up in the Adirondacks not long ago. If you’ve ever fished this River, you’ll know the true meaning of a “high gradient” river – it moves! - and much of it is pocket water. I have a big black stonefly wiggle nymph that I tie, and used it there sort of high sticking with a tight line and jigging it through the pockets. The fish absolutely loved it. My conventional straight-bodied nymphs didn’t work nearly as well.

The Delaware River has a lot of big flies (stoneflies, mayflies, hellgrammites, etc.), but the fish have seen every fly pattern ever tied. Sometimes a big wiggle nymph is the there ticket to catch a few.

The fly tied on video was a green drake wiggle nymph. The GD nymphs are big squirmy things that inhabit the slow water and live in and hatch from a mud bottom. A wiggle nymph tied with a lot of soft materials, like on the video, may be more effective for catching fish than a stiff-bodied fly in heavily fished places like say Penns or Fishing Creek, for example, during GD time. I plan to give it a try this season.

For those crazy enough to tie wiggle nymphs here are some tips for tying:

Use a straight-eyed short-shank hook for the abdomen and bend off or cut off the point on the rear fly – be careful when doing this.

Use heavy hard mono (some use wire) slightly less in diameter than the hook eye to attach the rear fly.

Tie in your mono to the front hook and build it up with thread, sort of like a ramp before closing the loop to attach your rear section. This keeps the loop more open and prevents it from binding on the eye of the rear fly. You get more movement that way.

Tie a bunch of abdomens first to speed up the process, and then switch over and attach them to the thorax section.

Stonefly proportions are about 50/50 abdomen / thorax, and Mayflies are usually 2/3 abdomen and 1/3 thorax, look at a photo of the insects and tie them accordingly. Remember you must use two smaller sized hooks to end up with a fly that’s not too large.

You get more movement if you have weight in either section. Weight in the abdomen makes the fly ride tail down, and weight in the thorax causes the tail to ride up. Weight both and you have a depth charge for fishing fast and/or deep water. I found some plastic coated wire in various colors and various diameters at a craft store. They are perfect for tying stonefly abdomens and can be colored with a marker. The weight of the wire makes them sink like a stone (no pun).

I’m a believer that movement is more important than realism. For example, the stiff formed legs seen on many realistic flies catch more fishermen than fish.

Also, there is no real need to spend a lot of time adding multiple realistic wing cases on a stonefly nymph. Choose soft materials to tie the fly to add movement, and tie in squiggly rubber legs on the fly to seal the deal for trout.

A disheveled mess that moves a lot in the water will catch more fish than an exact copy of an insect that’s as stiff as a board – IMO.

Good luck.

GenCon wrote:
This is my version of a sulfur spinner. I tied a dozen of these yesterday for the upcoming season. If you have ever watched any mayfly spinner float down stream. You will see they are not a neat organism. Yes there wings are spent but they don’t really look like most spinner patterns we tie. Their wings are sometimes bent or twisted. Over all disheveled. After watching this one eve it gave me the inspiration for this style. I tried it, the trout approved.

GenCon

GenCon, This is what you showed me at Rick Nyles fly tying event a couple weeks ago, right? That looks like an effective spinner pattern. I'm going to tie a few of these up. Thanks for sharing.

Dave, how 'bout a recipe for the GD nymph?

OldLefty wrote:
Dave, how 'bout a recipe for the GD nymph?

The GD nymph, like the cress bug and the Hendricksons further up the thread, is tied with a custom material I've designed combining infused felt with foam. I have an entire series of flies designed with this custom material ranging from midge emergers to mouse flies. At some point in the future I'd like to get them all together and publish my method for crafting this material, but other projects have got me distracted.

Anyway, this fly is fairly complex and time consuming. I've spent a lot of time experimenting with these flies to get them to drift or swim the way I want. There have been many failures and I've gone back to the drawing board on quite a few patterns (swimming scuds and diving crabs have been particularly ornery - I've spent countless hours struggling to get my crabs to look and swim the way I want).

In any case, all of my flies in this series are designed to imitate specific prey species as I prefer patterns that are realistic, but that move well in the water.

In the case of the GD nymph, you could probably design whatever extended body that works for you. I build several extended bodies at a time as this is the most work. This fly is about an inch in length not counting the tail fibers.

-Tail is hackle tips.

-Extended body joined to main body with a tiny mono loop
The extended body has a few turns of palmered brown ostrich herl in the forward half for the gills.
- Thorax and head have two clumps of pinkish/orange marabou tied on the sides that extend back along th abdomen to give the fly movement and replicate the gills and general fluffiness found on swimmers, like brown drakes and white flies. This also helps hide the mono joint.
-Body is picked out tan fur with brown grizzly hackle up front.
-Wing case is my custom material secured at two points with thread and underfilled with foam and Shoegoo for strength.
-Wing case and eyes are simply put on with black magic marker.
-Trim the head to a point to replicate the shape of the GD natural.

A few olive mohair leeches for GenCon. The fly shop had olive mohair yesterday while I was there picking out new waders and boots so I picked it up.

0nt62CB6uMwrgW3A0b3Myc0VRYRZmWeNmoRJzK8ZMGp5hAIeA3MpMCyjOIi1RQEvVtmB_CIEEWsq-WBF1LPTToinIuOHVzTmzFx4hfyGwiaX-2m9yzDiShsf66av-bJ_7iouNVLMhzAcOQftmBCXNz9JQTixEiUsYlh-6u1WuzOlIeTP2d-qs0sTH6TwGb1YTwCg_l0FgDhkDPCemu-sKXtp08CnLFbAUUrUe9Wgih33JsxHQ4o2S_OHKJaeT84F1_jzBI0lladNwUdhnExOUhC17_FQ8iY92EdxGZKgp_LHevf_3Ruc-_9NGbd0_7tll0PlABK0yyHVYKGfDIHf3s5CUiCHGDWGhLPqpxc2m1AHSndMIv5buNM4rKg82nISu6p-ocZq3MMLzAMp0qAMiSpbuOcnj-vieYrrkNK53aaAnHaVKdl3gWj06JGIgDY8i7q209p3ivo8cdPst2KfZAg0-7-PUwRoJ7fAIRSfLT3DyLn6N0WN5c6crxHRv13qa0e3qVRqAyJeo7crbgajlPLOePUHPeFH-j86IXkaXZ4pp80F5PAG34X1LQRUGbLIffqjdf77rvGDDxMict0pcS9o0VzDhcE-qy6rVfnspg0R0YYO6Hit=w915-h951-no

Trevor, nice job on leeches.

GenCon

Leech Man-

The Mohair is good, but you have to try this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122117583629?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=421682691581&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I haven't seen this product for sale locally, but I assure you that it makes dynamite leeches- especially in the Gold and Brown colors. The dubbing incorporates stringy rubber filaments, which really makes the fly come alive. I have used those two colors exclusively on Spring and Lil J, and have a lot of luck with them.

Wild_Trouter looks like some interesting stuff. Maybe I can find something like it at the Lancaster fly fishing show this weekend.

Thanks WT - that material does indeed look interesting, and highly suitable for leech imitations.

You might wanna check Fly Tiers Dungeon , they have similar if not that exact materials and probably cheaper.

Jaybird wrote:
You might wanna check Fly Tiers Dungeon , they have similar if not that exact materials and probably cheaper.

I was kind of thinking the same thing.

Behold!!!!

Attachments

• muddler.jpg
    muddler.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1
CHAOS!!!!

Attachments

• muddlermayhem.jpg
    muddlermayhem.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 1
Nice muddlers. I see you have good taste in your choice of vise as well.

First popper pretty happy with it

Attachments

• Popper.jpg
    Popper.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1
Thanks Nomad,

It actually wasnt that hard. I have a new hatred for turkey quill, but all in all not that bad. I think i over trimmed, but I'll work on it.

Oh and yes, I love my peak vise. Price was right, I have all the attachments. Its great. I need to buy midge jaws for it. Stay tuned for a report on that experience. Those little "c" clips that hold it together look like they are gonna go flying off and Ill never find them again.

-Bot

I have the midge jaws its not bad to change them out takes just a few seconds I just swapped mine back out last night to tie the popper I posted above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back