>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,
Those look fantastic.

nomad_archer wrote:
John,
Those look fantastic.

Thank you, Trevor. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet you as well at the Tying Jam.

dc410 wrote:
nomad_archer wrote:
John,
Those look fantastic.

Thank you, Trevor. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet you as well at the Tying Jam.

It would be great to meet you. Honestly. I cant wait for the Jam. Lets just hope mommy and the kids don't come down with some killer cold that would keep me from going.

NPflychucker wrote:
Been getting back to the vise here lately. Planning on getting out and fishing this weekend so I tied some big heavy stones in various colors for some anchor flies.

NP, me likely. That dog will hunt!

Nice looking stonies guys. John, I have never been fortunate enough to get dry fly action on black stones. Hope you do! It will be great to see you at the jam.

GenCon

GenCon wrote:
Nice looking stonies guys. John, I have never been fortunate enough to get dry fly action on black stones. Hope you do! It will be great to see you at the jam.

GenCon

Mike, I have experienced a few heavy LB stonefly hatches. (really its not the hatch that they are feeding on, It's the egg laying). As I have found when fishing in the winter/early spring, If you see stoneflies on the snow or in the air, try swinging a dry to skitter across likely holding lies. Because these insect presentations are random and sudden to the trout, often times you don't realize fish are likely to feed on them.

I have had some remarkable days swinging a dry LB stone and even a gallagher special wet fly.

That's good info Maurice. I've heard the same thing, just never experienced it yet. I've been told to skitter one across a good pocket of holding water in a riffle and the takes can be very aggressive. If the little black stones are in the air and your hearing splashy rises in the riffle water it could be game time. Sounds like a lot of fun if one could end up at the right place at the right time.

A size 16-18 black soft hackle pattern fished subsurface can also be very effective this time of year.

Flash Buggers

Attachments

• DSC03834.JPG
    DSC03834.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 2
2i1mlpl.jpg

20fqp95.jpg

33cvknq.jpg

dxzt5t.jpg

ejsr6e.jpg

fb98n.jpg

2dchoig.jpg

pro4mance wrote:
Norm on a roll !

Really. Definitely a roll. Some great looking stuff there.

GenCon

Caddis time is coming soon and I will be ready. I love swinging wets during caddis time. Or any other time for that matter.
Here is a pupa I was playing around with today.

GenCon

Attachments

• Caddis pupa.jpg
    Caddis pupa.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 5
Great ties, guys. Mike, can you share that recipe? Nice looking caddies!

Great looking posts everyone.

Been after myself to fish more drys this year. Always been more of a nymph/streamer fisherman.

TMC-100 size 18 / orange ants / blue wing olives

Attachments

• bwoant.jpg
    bwoant.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 4
laurelrun wrote:
Great ties, guys. Mike, can you share that recipe? Nice looking caddies

Thanks John, Jim recipe is as follows.

Hook, 14 scud hook.
Thread 12/0 Euro thread dark brown.
Under body, chartreuse thread, build up taper rib with black thread.
Body, clear D-rib medium.
Veil in split thread, Senyo laser dub, olive. Wrapped and brushed back to envelope body.
Head dark brown rabbit in split thread also brushed a bit.

GenCon

You guys that do a lot of split thread dubbing what is the advantage over say a traditional dubbing loop? I just give ti a try and I really like the looks of it but what would be a normal application to use split thread? I do really like that it is gives a nice picked out dubbing with hardly any bulk.

nomad_archer wrote:
You guys that do a lot of split thread dubbing what is the advantage over say a traditional dubbing loop? I just give ti a try and I really like the looks of it but what would be a normal application to use split thread? I do really like that it is gives a nice picked out dubbing with hardly any bulk.

Nomad, you answered some of it right there. It does not add any bulk from thread to fly. I think it is faster and easier than doing a loop. As long as you don't need to add a lot of material. You don't need any special tools. Just your bobbin and a sharp bodkin. But you must use the right thread. Nothing braided or single strand will work. The hardest part in doing it for me is to see well enough to pierce the thread in order to split it in the first place.
Hans Weilenmann has a great video on split threads. Check it out.

GenCon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back