>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worms! :-o

Attachments

• k98.JPG
    k98.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 3
Those caddis pupa are da bomb. What other color combinations do you tie those in?

edhank wrote:
Those caddis pupa are da bomb. What other color combinations do you tie those in?

Dave is actually matching the hatch with his midge larvae.

I seined with DW in the winter, we tended to see a lot of red ones.

I've found a red zebra midge to be a great winter fly.

The pics below matches Dave's flies to a tee.

Attachments

• Red Midge Larva.jpeg
    Red Midge Larva.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Larvae.jpeg
    Larvae.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 2
Haven't been near the bench in a long time, so I thought I would sit down and try to match a pattern given to me by my friend, Dan.

Of course, I did not have the correct meterials, so I just went off on my own tangent. Maybe I'll head out to fish them today or tomorrow.

Dave

Attachments

• Experiments.JPG
    Experiments.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 3
Nice Dave! That'd be a nice on to see at the tying jam...Hint, Hint.
A wink is as good as a nod...Say no more....

djs12354 wrote:
Haven't been near the bench in a long time, so I thought I would sit down and try to match a pattern given to me by my friend, Dan.

Of course, I did not have the correct meterials, so I just went off on my own tangent. Maybe I'll head out to fish them today or tomorrow.

Dave

Volksnurse wrote:
Nice Dave! That'd be a nice on to see at the tying jam...Hint, Hint.
A wink is as good as a nod...Say no more....

Dave! nice job. I agree with JT. Would be nice to see at tying jam.
I think everyone will like them.

GenCon

Some of you know. I am teaching a beginner tying class at Main Street Outfitters. My good buddy Tyger is helping out as well. We started last Thurs. It was a good night. I think we had 11 show up.
Will have a couple more this week. Day one was just some basic instruction and intro to some basic materials/tools and such.
Thanks we all tied a couple of green weenies. Everyone seamed to have fun. Next week we will do woolly buggers. I had not tied a woolly bugger in ages. So I figured I should tie one.

GenCon

Attachments

• WB.jpg
    WB.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1
McSneek wrote:
dc410 wrote:
A really simple caddis pupa pattern.

I really like the looks of these dc410. Any chance you could post a recipe/materials? Looks like mostly brushed out dubbing including some ice dub or something similar for a hackle-like collar but hard to tell from the photo.

McSneek,

I used rabbit hair dubbing tied with split thread for the body. UV ice dub (something light like pearl or light gray) tied in very sparse as a veil back over body. Thorax is SLF spikey squirrel - dark olive tied in split thread and brushed or picked out. Thread was UTC 70 in olive. Any dubbing could be used for the body and thorax. I was just shooting for a very buggy look, UV component and that classic caddis contrast between body and thorax. It's a variation of a caddis pupa tied by Kelly Galloup using materials that I had on hand. Kelly uses a dubbing loop, I went with split thread.

san juan midges

black%20600-tile_zpsjgpnpplz.jpg

hook: whatever you want to tie them on; size 14-26
thread: black
wing: white antron or equivalent yarn
ribbing: gold, silver or whatever color wire
body: dubbing, pheasant tail, turkey tail, stripped peacock herl, stripped hackle stem, imitation wood duck fibers, teal fibers, condor/grey goose, spanflex, thread, biots, laces, vrib etc

dc410 wrote:
McSneek wrote:
dc410 wrote:
A really simple caddis pupa pattern.

I really like the looks of these dc410. Any chance you could post a recipe/materials? Looks like mostly brushed out dubbing including some ice dub or something similar for a hackle-like collar but hard to tell from the photo.

McSneek,

I used rabbit hair dubbing tied with split thread for the body. UV ice dub (something light like pearl or light gray) tied in very sparse as a veil back over body. Thorax is SLF spikey squirrel - dark olive tied in split thread and brushed or picked out. Thread was UTC 70 in olive. Any dubbing could be used for the body and thorax. I was just shooting for a very buggy look, UV component and that classic caddis contrast between body and thorax. It's a variation of a caddis pupa tied by Kelly Galloup using materials that I had on hand. Kelly uses a dubbing loop, I went with split thread.

Thanks - I've started to experiment with dubbing loops more but haven't been successful with split thread. I think my problem is most of my thread inventory is Uni which I don't believe can be uncorded to the point that it's flat enough to split.

Yeah, next to impossible to do split thread with Uni. I've been buying a lot more UTC thread because I love using the split thread technique. Creates a real buggy brush while keeping the bulk down. You can also use Veevus thread to tie split thread.

Well I have been doing some fishing and tying. Just havn't remembered to take some pictures.

Some soft hackle BHPT's. These are always good for a fish or two.

yWIdG_Vf-neYre9JozsHUWAWsEVTFLHqfl-GDO56HOm1r9aaz5JHr9Mjm3iYw_I2ysU7L9l8L4Y8SLh4cDCjs-u9ZIavMkxVLbgshwxfSv7CUFr_WYxJlfcmDesaLR7t1dwdJnFiBkD-Os2B_EGmy-dQk9VaGpViP5yjRFLW2NQz1ABVPCuxe6kctR-OhwccZsZsl_VOiY9-H4OrzNvoe3mkHTFNk9ybF6siKjX_WrD9Wm6Jrq3qdEwy2NMV2FVFMbqyn_jTYbggbdr27JFHJdSXjFLo6DxfkELecx3Mbl1YdEU8Ildxs2G1VwrArpLSpCZeSZ5QzoBXKLkiH-zBX89CZ_h5UWG6OBokx-lAm7Pati2i5vI_PCTdIcElqmdMJT0jQk7qBAefXVjlGgMdKSbS5Y6eyOhQJ4ESyOYyg02etL9K4aZ1S44XLzQJ_1fSdSiw-FSWueEwOkU737GT3QUuMIe2aN8YGkWwr4n21gnId1VmZFyZU1RWA0OCO8rRlPcYcUlP8FtRL7qJcDpKG3p6PfnZ1K6Pi5K6w1yOTFb3PAZMs5tA0kTxZ2EH9l84zc6GaFl3uZUXIFpND57as0qcXuZKnhdxU1_x2XpVNeA3zZeUDA4TCQHxdBwnf0b8o3DnzSIPkI6dfD9vsGIJbkOVCaPxSUo52sPH7ham3Q=w1372-h772-no

Then some Yong Specials. I havnt fished these yet but they look like the larva in the Quitty I fished at the beginning of the month. Using the coats and clark sewing thread for these sure had a different feel then my usual UTC thread.

Twk3yFRmSCbKIunaEuNQAGxlNow25xrsHCRwj2HbLCuxnAmfsCh3zCMAPLNMmDGymYedScN-VikNiskU0oew3TPQ9YNH1oBWK9YPn8drJ8ZzSZQypnHO77_FxKaPqoh62QOG7Q4nJhuzvCuKeHV99iIBh_R_YAHSsL3-ETPkYEpHR5f1UXpUbU5cs5iKLLNBURougWY-Kk1ggon4jKVROsHbLFiNLmL-57Re9iOTVoyUk2n-WWYrlsg80Z3drAhNbX6z9WPbYdu0L3T7JDgVy_hm49hhZgn_NEPpaeJKjbmtKaRSskpCU1d1q0BATWp7nCYXos84lg00HauDscuxS88AQ5hY9Ib4xWIXJUJjEecsl5zXxkj6mvICkga9m0H2gu__HbOHemoRoPckQRKZEjByMX4ExxxqB3amvO3f8kW-2JhGFdbbhCnrmTem8c9KVuJ8YuRIrMzJcaVXOMHqSAfwzCkpJd7XtfCrcIL5lVnpLAphFc_AsHETjPgbMjOSClzRdRCqdCLN_hldR4oCDy3BJ-IrGLbKdBXMAPGSVowUZsRi_ZlTflbe3k_9jWySGR9i881_Q5zLQ86hQyC4t64Nce7S2NIQLMtFBRdnpBP9kBWr-Uwfc1ZGYJXN1XfD_g_ZlGHPHyX1jhGMvtx_8HWGwVLWeefZpQZzVSY0Nw=w1372-h772-no

I played around with a some of the pearsalls silk and tied some north country spiders. Here is one but I have a few in several colors. I am just waiting until the right conditions to fish them if there is such a thing.

MEnNtWBPlQna3LeqjY13eQXz9IZBxrTD4oMwyeC_tB2GXW7-IKb_DX8DZ02OX3q4-KJPIZzAp2ScATUu-88zsdiD8yVK8UxBGWhaLBNxYoMDwkbG4uY9N6LgxU0cN8E0krQX8XjkydNprL0jH9KYjWQylNcjAALVGfzI8kUvYQWKjJZRoszeG7l2btQFLWrBbIN6XQGmktqL5qDryLXqbXsRnSgqbMze3H3GQuRXKeGBsUHVhcHRhp9c7Jrx55IByeYipNH9V1D1om_AjFq05HUnYkKxHJXBElW4_o6t6YM65FU3_mM1RkISfL7h6tqWFnw0UQrn-Sl-6MfuipSvo0ewUfkzLxdu8FOgnvXpCPY8lnm11bGH3TndjzT-n-q8fCDInqOJFtYfUPj5pr0gHfGKhDInBBhoEZGozBOJG3YNMtb8GwgDgZZzRemsXuYpv_bkGs6ysZ7STki0ADKnx86Ug4WESHA5SD8xUM2zQw_R9ImXX0DYU1XGgRzb4ayHKJxnMJU0xR2AdXB1BUUBxOiGkXD5CWo2sTDWvGzvoJsTGBfNjpo_KUb82NLSPYCRXkPW6IDC3DScRqF73HTpajlrBhqPeF3MDh-Xn7-o3Z2BfOcdPK4ewm9kMzJyZ2pvO901Iuv8vbPccXi9Ncd-7waupFb3abd_2KHcmNd5lQ=w1372-h772-no

Finally some tung beaded caddis look alikes inspired by some of Mike R's caddis tyes.

vjFVMZJkyUme-UmUSgpRu2OFivTLNlBN5bB47VdHzuefFHISL502eoU4ynTVeErQdEKfhUDKXGIv6yNLmTcLo0b_0tRrLFPfxfCcqJAyu3hzIEZJfasqs2D997nxOrozBspQH4jGb5wlpA_1jCowHuwtPRiCaRqdIg0SlAaUj-8uCh-xgxIPFavLTjgKbj6zX-vPtmkf-h3HJk--m0ANK2eANsGWCBHZjieKZGcSlAV_a6sAzW4u_vo9PIpe5162GaORYRfgvcUoIMypoKsBSo7UyLXayT-fBXQUB5m1qX-ML8dgFzI1TWj0P017yRkyvsZ-Ocp_uBq-SnjkcPjNWGdt4UQBB4BUCoPtt__D3eNXKZGaYJkM1l-5lQKs964QcY1tQpRM5TOQqO8gbTQaYGV8O7uuYgrr90yEFgVV_K0Q87Y8yTgusWTJt2hGIA-WFlAcL10ijcEBbk6VIlLL5sVWbIIdSsTm_JL89p1UqnhsY4EnwXwyX0ue-Hh8jiMVUXNabuMayh6IqENtI-V9PxXQSZm6LahfFNDTycRX0E6kfO8-4amXdx9-JRMiLmwh5Tn17B44zg-ylOxlDd7Sf_vFk4fLF9142xgtljM0DNjlljXox-oRAEMRKzseTKTiymYnrZIC7d6lQNIXIHWVbjQFm2g0VgXTT4kLgo_2Pw=w1372-h772-no

I have found that I really like the SLF & Squirrel, and SLF & Hare dubbing mixes. They just seem buggy with a hint of flash.

I have started doing some euro nymphing recently and really like it, so I am off to find some reasonably priced tungsten beads to tie up a few czech style heavy nymphs to explore that nymphing discipline a bit more.

Finally, I am still searching for a reliable way to take good pictures of these flies with my phone. It is really tough to get a good focus.

nomad_archer wrote:
Well I have been doing some fishing and tying. Just havn't remembered to take some pictures.

Some soft hackle BHPT's. These are always good for a fish or two.

yWIdG_Vf-neYre9JozsHUWAWsEVTFLHqfl-GDO56HOm1r9aaz5JHr9Mjm3iYw_I2ysU7L9l8L4Y8SLh4cDCjs-u9ZIavMkxVLbgshwxfSv7CUFr_WYxJlfcmDesaLR7t1dwdJnFiBkD-Os2B_EGmy-dQk9VaGpViP5yjRFLW2NQz1ABVPCuxe6kctR-OhwccZsZsl_VOiY9-H4OrzNvoe3mkHTFNk9ybF6siKjX_WrD9Wm6Jrq3qdEwy2NMV2FVFMbqyn_jTYbggbdr27JFHJdSXjFLo6DxfkELecx3Mbl1YdEU8Ildxs2G1VwrArpLSpCZeSZ5QzoBXKLkiH-zBX89CZ_h5UWG6OBokx-lAm7Pati2i5vI_PCTdIcElqmdMJT0jQk7qBAefXVjlGgMdKSbS5Y6eyOhQJ4ESyOYyg02etL9K4aZ1S44XLzQJ_1fSdSiw-FSWueEwOkU737GT3QUuMIe2aN8YGkWwr4n21gnId1VmZFyZU1RWA0OCO8rRlPcYcUlP8FtRL7qJcDpKG3p6PfnZ1K6Pi5K6w1yOTFb3PAZMs5tA0kTxZ2EH9l84zc6GaFl3uZUXIFpND57as0qcXuZKnhdxU1_x2XpVNeA3zZeUDA4TCQHxdBwnf0b8o3DnzSIPkI6dfD9vsGIJbkOVCaPxSUo52sPH7ham3Q=w1372-h772-no

Then some Yong Specials. I havnt fished these yet but they look like the larva in the Quitty I fished at the beginning of the month. Using the coats and clark sewing thread for these sure had a different feel then my usual UTC thread.

Twk3yFRmSCbKIunaEuNQAGxlNow25xrsHCRwj2HbLCuxnAmfsCh3zCMAPLNMmDGymYedScN-VikNiskU0oew3TPQ9YNH1oBWK9YPn8drJ8ZzSZQypnHO77_FxKaPqoh62QOG7Q4nJhuzvCuKeHV99iIBh_R_YAHSsL3-ETPkYEpHR5f1UXpUbU5cs5iKLLNBURougWY-Kk1ggon4jKVROsHbLFiNLmL-57Re9iOTVoyUk2n-WWYrlsg80Z3drAhNbX6z9WPbYdu0L3T7JDgVy_hm49hhZgn_NEPpaeJKjbmtKaRSskpCU1d1q0BATWp7nCYXos84lg00HauDscuxS88AQ5hY9Ib4xWIXJUJjEecsl5zXxkj6mvICkga9m0H2gu__HbOHemoRoPckQRKZEjByMX4ExxxqB3amvO3f8kW-2JhGFdbbhCnrmTem8c9KVuJ8YuRIrMzJcaVXOMHqSAfwzCkpJd7XtfCrcIL5lVnpLAphFc_AsHETjPgbMjOSClzRdRCqdCLN_hldR4oCDy3BJ-IrGLbKdBXMAPGSVowUZsRi_ZlTflbe3k_9jWySGR9i881_Q5zLQ86hQyC4t64Nce7S2NIQLMtFBRdnpBP9kBWr-Uwfc1ZGYJXN1XfD_g_ZlGHPHyX1jhGMvtx_8HWGwVLWeefZpQZzVSY0Nw=w1372-h772-no

I played around with a some of the pearsalls silk and tied some north country spiders. Here is one but I have a few in several colors. I am just waiting until the right conditions to fish them if there is such a thing.

MEnNtWBPlQna3LeqjY13eQXz9IZBxrTD4oMwyeC_tB2GXW7-IKb_DX8DZ02OX3q4-KJPIZzAp2ScATUu-88zsdiD8yVK8UxBGWhaLBNxYoMDwkbG4uY9N6LgxU0cN8E0krQX8XjkydNprL0jH9KYjWQylNcjAALVGfzI8kUvYQWKjJZRoszeG7l2btQFLWrBbIN6XQGmktqL5qDryLXqbXsRnSgqbMze3H3GQuRXKeGBsUHVhcHRhp9c7Jrx55IByeYipNH9V1D1om_AjFq05HUnYkKxHJXBElW4_o6t6YM65FU3_mM1RkISfL7h6tqWFnw0UQrn-Sl-6MfuipSvo0ewUfkzLxdu8FOgnvXpCPY8lnm11bGH3TndjzT-n-q8fCDInqOJFtYfUPj5pr0gHfGKhDInBBhoEZGozBOJG3YNMtb8GwgDgZZzRemsXuYpv_bkGs6ysZ7STki0ADKnx86Ug4WESHA5SD8xUM2zQw_R9ImXX0DYU1XGgRzb4ayHKJxnMJU0xR2AdXB1BUUBxOiGkXD5CWo2sTDWvGzvoJsTGBfNjpo_KUb82NLSPYCRXkPW6IDC3DScRqF73HTpajlrBhqPeF3MDh-Xn7-o3Z2BfOcdPK4ewm9kMzJyZ2pvO901Iuv8vbPccXi9Ncd-7waupFb3abd_2KHcmNd5lQ=w1372-h772-no

Finally some tung beaded caddis look alikes inspired by some of Mike R's caddis tyes.

vjFVMZJkyUme-UmUSgpRu2OFivTLNlBN5bB47VdHzuefFHISL502eoU4ynTVeErQdEKfhUDKXGIv6yNLmTcLo0b_0tRrLFPfxfCcqJAyu3hzIEZJfasqs2D997nxOrozBspQH4jGb5wlpA_1jCowHuwtPRiCaRqdIg0SlAaUj-8uCh-xgxIPFavLTjgKbj6zX-vPtmkf-h3HJk--m0ANK2eANsGWCBHZjieKZGcSlAV_a6sAzW4u_vo9PIpe5162GaORYRfgvcUoIMypoKsBSo7UyLXayT-fBXQUB5m1qX-ML8dgFzI1TWj0P017yRkyvsZ-Ocp_uBq-SnjkcPjNWGdt4UQBB4BUCoPtt__D3eNXKZGaYJkM1l-5lQKs964QcY1tQpRM5TOQqO8gbTQaYGV8O7uuYgrr90yEFgVV_K0Q87Y8yTgusWTJt2hGIA-WFlAcL10ijcEBbk6VIlLL5sVWbIIdSsTm_JL89p1UqnhsY4EnwXwyX0ue-Hh8jiMVUXNabuMayh6IqENtI-V9PxXQSZm6LahfFNDTycRX0E6kfO8-4amXdx9-JRMiLmwh5Tn17B44zg-ylOxlDd7Sf_vFk4fLF9142xgtljM0DNjlljXox-oRAEMRKzseTKTiymYnrZIC7d6lQNIXIHWVbjQFm2g0VgXTT4kLgo_2Pw=w1372-h772-no

I have found that I really like the SLF & Squirrel, and SLF & Hare dubbing mixes. They just seem buggy with a hint of flash.

I have started doing some euro nymphing recently and really like it, so I am off to find some reasonably priced tungsten beads to tie up a few czech style heavy nymphs to explore that nymphing discipline a bit more.

Finally, I am still searching for a reliable way to take good pictures of these flies with my phone. It is really tough to get a good focus.

I love the soft hackle PT's, I tie a ton of variants of these in a variety of colors and sizes, very seldom will I nymph without one on the rig somewhere, they haven't left me down

Finishing up some four inch game changers ...

Attachments

• IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 1
Wow those game changers look great.

NewSal wrote:

I love the soft hackle PT's, I tie a ton of variants of these in a variety of colors and sizes, very seldom will I nymph without one on the rig somewhere, they haven't left me down

I agree! I always seem to start with one on the rig somewhere. It doesn't always stay but I usually tie one on in the parking lot. I like them they are quick and easy to tie and like you said so many variations. Color, dubbing, peacock, hackle. In the smaller sizes I really like starling as the hackle it is really easy to work with.

nomad_archer wrote:
NewSal wrote:

I agree! I always seem to start with one on the rig somewhere. It doesn't always stay but I usually tie one on in the parking lot. I like them they are quick and easy to tie and like you said so many variations. Color, dubbing, peacock, hackle. In the smaller sizes I really like starling as the hackle it is really easy to work with.

Most of mine are tied with a turn or two of whitings 4b hen hackle, super easy to use, and can get sizes down past 20. Maybe not as nice as the more traditional style soft hackles, but way easier to use and produce relatively the same result, if you've never experimented with them before try it out sometime.

NewSal wrote:

Most of mine are tied with a turn or two of whitings 4b hen hackle, super easy to use, and can get sizes down past 20. Maybe not as nice as the more traditional style soft hackles, but way easier to use and produce relatively the same result, if you've never experimented with them before try it out sometime.

Didn't even know whiting had those. Great price. I have a grizzly hen soft hackle patch and a brown speckled hen saddle from wapsi but I haven't been too impressed with them. Being saddles there are not many options for size. I didn't know any better when I purchased them. I am also kicking around getting a brahama hen eventually. I have most of the other soft hackle sources covered - two dyed partridge (i use a lot), grouse, starling and pheasant. Expanding to add some chicken wouldnt be a bad idea. What colors do you like?

Playing with some heavy orange thread and came up with this soft hackle.

Attachments

• soft orange'.JPG
    soft orange'.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back