>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice Dave, that'll work.

Fritz and I were turning over rocks the other day and found quite a few orange caddis larvae. They were a bit more yellow thro.

Here was Fritz's imitation

Attachments

• IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 2
Chimarra
Maurice wrote:
Nice Dave, that'll work.

Fritz and I were turning over rocks the other day and found quite a few orange caddis larvae. They were a bit more yellow thro.

Here was Fritz's imitation

Very useful info ^

Pretty common in PA > Chimarra.

They morph into small black caddis in the spring.

Simple tie that really works

Link to pics here.

3-1/2" rabbit zonker streamer on sz 2 hook

Attachments

• DSC03832.JPG
    DSC03832.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 4
Some from same school tied last week

Attachments

• DSC03828.JPG
    DSC03828.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 3
Thanks, Maurice.

Can't resize the image enough to tell. What was used for the body of Friitz's fly?

Some cotton thread for the body. That is the closest color match that I could find in my materials. It was in with a bunch of materials that my brother gave me some years ago.

fritz wrote:
Some cotton thread for the body. That is the closest color match that I could find in my materials. It was in with a bunch of materials that my brother gave me some years ago.

Thank You!

I tied this up for the first time yesterday ... pretty happy with the result for a newbie tyer.

Attachments

• slumpbuster.JPG
    slumpbuster.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 2
Grape, looks good. I am sure trout will eat that. No doubt. But to me it looks like smallie candy.

GenCon

Looks good, Grape!

Grape, pm me your address and I will mail u a piece of kellered paper to put behind your fly. :-D :-D

You don't like my breakfast room? Haha!

GenCon wrote:
Grape, looks good. I am sure trout will eat that. No doubt. But to me it looks like smallie candy.

GenCon

I tie lots of those since they are quick and easy. Trout love them and so do the bass.

Nomad - do you tie them with rabbit or squirrel zonkers? I have rabbit but I wondered if one was better than the other for this fly. Thanks!

!
nomad_archer wrote:

I tie lots of those since they are quick and easy. Trout love them and so do the bass.

Grape wrote:
Nomad - do you tie them with rabbit or squirrel zonkers? I have rabbit but I wondered if one was better than the other for this fly. Thanks!

!
nomad_archer wrote:

I have both rabbit and pine squirrel. I have yet to tie any with the pine squirrel for whatever reason. Probably because the pine squirrel is more expensive than the rabbit. But my understanding is that the squirrel gives a different action then the bunny but both are highly effective. I guess I will need to tie a few up with the pine squirrel and go fish them. I dont really think you can go wrong. I watched the tighlines video to learn to tie this pattern and he uses pine squirrel.

I have fished a few store bought ones made with squirrel and they worked well for both bass and trout. The slumpbuster is one of my favorite streamers. Its usually the first one I start with.

Thanks Nomad. Yes, that's exactly where I learned to tie this as well.

Grape wrote:
Thanks Nomad. Yes, that's exactly where I learned to tie this as well.

I found if you lick your fingers and preen back the fibers as you wrap the collar it makes the fur a bit easier to manage.

Fish the heck out of those. The first one I tied caught probably 40-50 fish before all of the fur came out of the hide. The only thing that was left was a few fibers of the collar the hide with no hair and the diamond braid. I retired that fly and reused the conehead. Darn fly was still catching fish when I took it out of commission. I kind of wish I would have kept it together.

Been getting back to the vise here lately. Planning on getting out and fishing this weekend so I tied some big heavy stones in various colors for some anchor flies.

Attachments

• stone.jpg
    stone.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 2
Tied up a couple versions of a size 14 Little Black Stonefly. Hoping to hit a little stonefly action within the next few weeks if the opportunity presents itself.

Attachments

• Little Black Stoneflies.JPG
    Little Black Stoneflies.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 2
Nice looking ties, John!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back