>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grannoms will be here before you know it...
IMGP1729_zpsa31cd27f.jpg

IMGP1745_zps26eeece4.jpg

IMGP1785_zpsb56826cf.jpg

IMGP1781_zps702a75ff.jpg

IMGP1758_zps30578019.jpg

Gencon and Gutcutter

Those are some great looking ties.

Certainly not ready to try 22's until I get a magnifier. I don't think the cheaters will be enough!

I wear 3 power cheaters for tying that small. Gutcutter they are some killer grannoms.

GenCon

Real nice ties, guys.

Gutcutter, I like your creativity with the Grannom patterns. I wish I would have more of an opportunity to fish (or even witness a good grannom hatch). Good stuff!

The bivisible. Designed bi Hewitt. A very old pattern. His theory was fish could easily see the dark of the brown hackle. The fisherman could the easily see the white collar in front. This was one of the fist dry flys I learned to tie. Some people add a tail. The original had no tail.
This was one of my Dad's favorite patterns. He would sometimes do a gold flat tinsel body then palmer over that.

GenCon

Attachments

• bivisible.jpg
    bivisible.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 2
Caught my first dry fly trout on a brown bivisible I tied myself thirty some years ago. Great pattern that still works, especially when caddis are skittering on the surface.

#16 Sulphur Comparadun
Hook - Tiemco 100
Thread - Uni 8/0 Light Cahill
Wing - gray deer hair
Shuck - gray antron
abdomen - TCO Sulphur turkey biot
thorax - TCO East Coast Dubbing - Sulphur Yellow

Attachments

• Sulphur.JPG
    Sulphur.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 2
^ nice sulphur. Nicely tied.

GenCon

McSneek wrote:
#16 Sulphur Comparadun
Hook - Tiemco 100
Wing - gray deer hair
Shuck - gray antron

Very nice tie.
FYI: That pattern is called a Sparkledun because of the shuck. A Comparadun has splayed tails.

Here are some copper colored flies that work very well on tannic colored streams like the Tobyhanna

Attachments

• IMG_3727 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3727 (Small).JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3728 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3728 (Small).JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3729 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3729 (Small).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3730 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3730 (Small).JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3731 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3731 (Small).JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3732 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3732 (Small).JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3733 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3733 (Small).JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3735 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3735 (Small).JPG
    69 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3736 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3736 (Small).JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 2
gutcutter wrote:
McSneek wrote:
#16 Sulphur Comparadun
Hook - Tiemco 100
Wing - gray deer hair
Shuck - gray antron

Very nice tie.
FYI: That pattern is called a Sparkledun because of the shuck. A Comparadun has splayed tails.

I know that. Chalk it up to early onset of old age or something.

@ McSneek

May I ask what type of deer hair you are using on your sulfur? I have tried different types but it seems that the grey hair is always brittle and the wings come out sloppy. I think the bleaching process prior to dying makes the hair brittle. Thanks

@Beadhead2

I have found copper to be a good color for tannic streams also. Do you tie those with copper beads?

Tied up a few sulphur patterns this evening. A sulphur soft hackle and a sulphur emerger.

Attachments

• Sulphur Soft Hackle.JPG
    Sulphur Soft Hackle.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Sulphur Emerger.JPG
    Sulphur Emerger.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 3
Henry, real nice flys. John also nice tying. I do a sulphur soft hackle very similar.

GenCon

Tying up some Drakes.

Attachments

• Drake.jpg
    Drake.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 2
How does that cast, Nick. I like the image/profile of that fly, it looks very realistic.

Tigereye wrote:
@ McSneek

May I ask what type of deer hair you are using on your sulfur? I have tried different types but it seems that the grey hair is always brittle and the wings come out sloppy. I think the bleaching process prior to dying makes the hair brittle. Thanks

It's just a patch I bought at TCO. I wouldn't necessarily say it's brittle but it doesn't tie as well as plain old coastal deer hair. I suspect it has something to do with the dying process as well. I tie some with the regular deer hair and they work too. Also use cdc instead of deer hair. My fly tying as of late has been all over the place. See some materials in my supply and tie something.

Thanks Mike ,I haven't tied anything in quite awhile ,I am a little rusty

Here's another riff on Ken's Crazy Ant. No wing or hackle. Flashabou for legs. Plus a little weight on the hook to pull it under.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back