>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is scud back? Thank you!

Scud back is a soft plastic material used to simulate the shell or back of a scud bug, fresh water shrimp. it comes in strips and different colors

You can of use strips of Zip-loc bags in place of scudback.

Since we may be fishing Blue Quills in Mid-May this year instead of March Browns, I decided to fill my BQ box...
Sorry for the crappy iPhone photos
IMG_6868_zpsw60mf44h.jpeg

Cripple
IMG_8756_zpsuyb5silb.jpeg

Sparkle Dun
IMG_0809_zpsuk7cbr9k.jpeg

Comparadun
IMG_4745_zpsuo8uwz72.jpeg

Paraspinner
IMG_0709_zpscvriemwr.jpeg

Hackle Spinner
IMG_7436_zpsxrp7tkbn.jpeg

CDC Spinner

Really nice ties everyone, thanks for the post on those Tony they look tight, they are right around the corner.

Double copper, inspired by Kevin Compton...
3f5241ddc0f1bae1aad5dd6e8effaa20_zpsfbb7aa7c.jpg

Interesting ties, Jack. What size are they?

Size 12 Dave

I was playing around with a Black Stonfly Nymph pattern tonight. The tail, shellback, wingcase and legs were all tied using Crow feathers. The only materials that weren't crow on this pattern were the dubbing, the black ultra wire rib and the beadhead. I designed this pattern to dredge the bottom as an anchor fly and with about 12 wraps of .020 lead wire flattened in the thorax and a 3/16 black tungsten bead it should sink like a rock. Keeping the crow theme on the forefront I have named it the "Black Cronefly".

Attachments

• Black Cronefly.jpg
    Black Cronefly.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 5
John, very nice tie. Now you have 99 more black tungsten beads to use for something. LOL. Good talking with you and Jack yesterday at the FF show.

Likewise Ed. It was great to see you again and get a chance to chat with you. 99 tungsten beads is a heck of a lot of beads so I will need to get creative. Hopefully I will use them up before I'm too old and decrepit to get through them. ;)

Nice tie John, you have to tie at least five more of those so really you're down to 94. And if it's effective you'll tie more, then you'll end up in a swap and there's 12-15 more. You'll be through those beads in no time... It was cool to see and bs with you as well, now give me your hat Ed... :-D

Nice ties guys. John you are doing some great stuff with that crow.

GenCon

Nice ties guys. John you are doing some great stuff with that crow.

GenCon

Getting my blue quills done early.
7450647_orig.jpg

I watched Matt Grobert tie this Sparkle Emerger at the Lancaster show. (Though his looked quite a bit better) I need to work on the proportions. New tie for me. Any other colors or thoughts. Size 12 Allen hook.

Attachments

• sparklecaddisweb.jpg
    sparklecaddisweb.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 3
Hare's Ear w/o bead.

Recently realized, after 11 months of tying, I never attempted Hare's Ear or Pheasant Tail without a bead.

Attachments

• IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 2
Practicing hair and thread control on the elk hair caddis. I picked up some cheap hooks at Walmart and trashed about 20 hooks. Did the same thing with the Mickey Finn.

Pic below shows progress on the Elk Hair (bottom flies are the best or most recent):

Attachments

• IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 4
Nice job Bob. I like how you showed your progression. I think you should bring those flys to the newbie jam. It would be good to show beginners.

GenCon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back