>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purist !
If they were really purist they would know that spinner fly's have been around for ever. fly fisherman would cast them on their Payne's and Lenard boo's using their hardy reels with spinner fly's. as for worm harness, they normally have 2 to 3 hooks and 1-3 spinner blades, popular with the walleye fisherman, slow trolled in reverse was the proper way to fish them. another way was to use a bait walker rig with a worm harness while drifting.

slades%20secret_zpsgxcxldpm.jpg

Slade's Secret

Tag: flat gold tinsel & gold floss
Tail: bronze mallard
Butt: peacock sword
Rib: gold oval tinsel
Body: rear half lime green wool, front half peacock herl
Wing: brown bear
Throat: teal flank, sparse

Reference: Charles DeFeo section of Forgotten Flies

In this pattern I made a couple of substitutions

1. I colored white floss with a gold marker to achieve the gold floss

2. I used peacock herl for the butt. I didnt feel the peacock sword herls I had were long enough.

3. I used moose body hair for the wing. I have no brown bear.

hope you like it

norm

Nice looking fly, I wonder why it was forgotten. Thanks for adding the recipe.

Nfrechet, nice looking fly. I'm with you. I like tying and fishing flys that have a history.

Nice job,

GenCon

The (parachute) Addams family...

Attachments

• 20150801_172729-640x360.jpg
    20150801_172729-640x360.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2
Not recent ties by any means, but better late than never...

So I got hitched back in June. And while I can't take much credit for the evening's décor, I was able to add a little touch.

Attachments

• cj0740.jpg
    cj0740.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 6
jay348 wrote:

So I got hitched back in June. .

Wait. What?
Congrats Joe!!!!!

Congratulations Joe! I'm not thinking that I could have pulled that one off. Somehow I'm figuring those deer hair creations on top of the cake just wouldn't have gotten the nod. Hope all is going well for both of you.

Congrats Joe. The invite is still thee if you want to come tie with us some night.

GenCon

Thanks guys!

Dc, I was just as surprised! But actually she loved the idea, so I rolled with it.

GC, I'd love to get up now that I have some more free time. I'll be in touch for sure!

I've been catching large mouths on Humpys so I decided to try to tie one today. It's a bit messy but it is my first attempt at a Humpy.

Attachments

• IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 3
Hey Bob, the Humpy is not really an easy fly to tie. Mainly its about proportions. Do a few more. Tail a bit more full and a bit longer. But for your first one. It is pretty damn good.

GenCon

I like to tie the humpy with foam for both the yellow belly and tan foam pulled over the back. It makes it unsinkable

Been away from the bench for a time, but did a couple of Tim C's Prince Nymph on a jig hook.

Clouser Minnow on a sz 10 Orvis streamer hook.

Attachments

• IMG_0895.JPG
    IMG_0895.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 2
Green weenies and San Juan worms.

11821782_764925913617475_942237851_n.jpg

Not the prettiest or the fanciest, but theyve been working well on native brookies.

schoolies fly for lakes !

Attachments

• DSCF8746 (1024x768) (400x300).jpg
    DSCF8746 (1024x768) (400x300).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1
Nice flys Steveo and Sandfly.

This is called a Rough Water Caddis although Hans Weilenmann has a video on a similar fly and calls it a "Dyret." The tail on mine is a bit too long:

Attachments

• IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 3
I thought you might be interested in these flies by Davie Mc Phail. The flies can be tied with Rhea or Bucktail. Rhea will give your fly more movement in the water.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back