>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob, looks good. Anthony, those are some nice baitfish imitations.
Nice job.

GenCon

What else to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon except watch college football and restock the carp box? I have had a great carp fishing season and the inside of my carp box will attest to it. It is starting to look and smell like the remnants of a roadkill. :roll: Earlier this year I tied a version of Jack Gartside's Sparrow Nymph to be fished as a carp fly. Over the past few weeks I have finally started to fish this pattern mainly as a change up for some carp that I fished over multiple times over the past four months. The fish have really responded positively to this pattern. I have caught and hooked into some fairly heavy carp on these flies recently and most of them have effectively taken me into some of the heaviest debris and I have lost most of this pattern that I had in my box. The later in the season it gets - the smarter they seem to get. One actually took me under and through the metal framework of a mill race and I torched my entire leader (but did manage to save my fly line which was my main concern). So I decided to tie up a few more today to restock the box and try to nail a few more early autumn carp yet this season. Bowhunting will soon override carpin'. Time to restock on bucktails and deer body hair as well. :-D

Attachments

• Carp Sparrow Nymphs.JPG
    Carp Sparrow Nymphs.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 1
Nice ties John, I have barely time to do anything. I will be finishing my woolly bears for the swap this weekend.

GenCon

So I;ve never tied or fished Mouse flies. But recently I've been more and more interested. First try at Moorish Mouse (mice).

Still need some practice spinning deer hair obviously....

Attachments

• 20150913_192202.jpg
    20150913_192202.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2
JT, it looks like you are off to a very good start. I have never been any good at spinning deer hair. In my younger days I was very allergic to deer hair. Made it tough being a hunter. Not as bad now for what ever reason. What is the tail you are using on your mice?

GenCon

Mike,
I know rabbut or squirrel strips are more traditional but I don't have any. Just black chenille...can't hurt to try.

Volksnurse wrote:
Mike,
I know rabbut or squirrel strips are more traditional but I don't have any. Just black chenille...can't hurt to try.

JT if using chenille maybe you should put a dab of flex cement on the tip of tail. So it does not unravel.

GenCon

Sixth Man Fly...Combo crayfish/ Clouser. Works well for small mouth and trout

Attachments

• Sixth Man.JPG
    Sixth Man.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 3
Tioga, that's a nice looking fly. I like how you let the tips of rubber legs come out past the hook eye. I am not familiar with the pattern. Is it Original ? Nicely done.

GenCon

Gen Con:

Pattern is not original to me. It is an amalgam of two Chuck Kraft patterns (Clawdad and Kreelex). A shop in northern Virginia put the two together.

[Tying Video

Dragon Tails ! 4" long, weedless coneheads on size 1 hooks for bass and pickerel.

Attachments

• DSCF8861 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF8861 (400x300).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF8863 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF8863 (400x300).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF8864 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF8864 (400x300).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2
few gizzard and perch flies 1 1/2 in. long on a size 5 hook headed to same lake.

Attachments

• DSCF8867 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF8867 (400x300).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF8869 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF8869 (400x300).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2
Sinfoil's Fry

Sinfoils%20Fry_zpsnszikhfw.jpg

old school

step%2010%20body%20rib%20and%20finished%20fly_zpswn9b9vxe.jpg

nfrechet wrote:
Sinfoil's Fry

That is a cool fly. I am not familiar with the pattern. Is it a pattern for land locks?

Also it is very nicely tied.

GenCon

About the Sinfoil's Fry Trout Fly

The Sinfoil's Fry is a good imitation of fry. Fish the margins, it often where the big Trout come from out of the mysterious depths to feed on fry.

Expert Tip:

Ken Sinfoil, a reservoir water bailiff, was reputedly the first tyer known to use polythene in dressing of a fly's body

Creator of this trout fly: Ken Sinfoil

Country of origin for this trout fly: England

This trout fly is designed to be fished on Still Water fish

Worked on a few Mini-Wooly Buggers today.

Tied them in black with a some lead wire, and an orange or chartreuse bead head. Used a size 12 barb-less jig hook.

These have worked on the Lackawanna in cold weather. Fish them both nymph-style and swing and strip back.

djs12354 wrote:
Worked on a few Mini-Wooly Buggers today.

Tied them in black with a some lead wire, and an orange or chartreuse bead head. Used a size 12 barb-less jig hook.

These have worked on the Lackawanna in cold weather. Fish them both nymph-style and swing and strip back.

What no pics? I really have had no time in quite a while to tie. It helps seeing everyone else s flys.

GenCon

GenCon wrote:
What no pics? I really have had no time in quite a while to tie. It helps seeing everyone else s flys.

GenCon

GenCon

Did not think anyone would be interested my my ties. Here's a couple of pics of the buggers.

Tails are a little sparse but I have found them to work.

Has anyone tried using the fluff part from the bottom of the saddle hackle for tail material? Thinking I might tie a couple of the smaller sizes using some to see how it works.

Attachments

• Charteuse.JPG
    Charteuse.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Orange.JPG
    Orange.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 1
Okay, so I had some time after work and decided to go smaller.

Hook is Risen FLy's 3769 Nymph/Wet Fly in a 16
2.4 mm Brass Black Nickel bead
Fine Black Chenille
Grizzly Hackle
Tail is made from the fluff from bottom of saddle hackle used to tie larger buggers

You may commence laughter at will. But I'll still fish it. :)

Attachments

• Mini-Bugger.JPG
    Mini-Bugger.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back