>>>What are you tying today ? Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack, after i finished it up i sat back and looked and thought the same thing. Ill still fish it, but the oversized hackle and tail does bother me...

Thanks mike, ill be looking to grab some calf soon.

I prefer calf body for those

Attackone turned me on to this body quill on big fishing creek.

rustbodyquillnymph_zps3ab4a34a.jpg

Hook: #12 daiichi 1130
1/8 gold tungsten bead
Underbody: tungsten thread/ white thread/brown thread out of thorax
Body: Hends body quill bq-22 (rust)
Thorax: bronze peacock dubbing
pink hotspot: to denote that I've bumped the weight up from the 1/8" bead to 6.6 grains with tungsten thread

Size 14 Green Stimmie. I did real well on these in the yellow version on Sunday evening on trout just before the mini monsoon hit Lancaster County. I tied up a green version of it tonight. Actually, I can't wait to lay one of these in front of a surfacing carp ....... just to see what happens. :-D

Attachments

• Green Stimmie.jpg
    Green Stimmie.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 3
Very nice John.

Tyger it looks fine. Never take dry fly advice from a jig fisherman. :)

LongLake_zpsf9b615d8.jpg

DC, nice tie!
Maurice, when Jack talks, I listen. Thanks for the compliment too!
Nfrechet, nice tie. That body is like a little cylinder. What size hook, 4xl?

Maurice wrote:
Tyger it looks fine. Never take dry fly advice from a jig fisherman. :)
Maurice :hammer:

I've been meaning to try a damselfly imitation, so decided to try a foam one today. White congo hair for the wings, a thin strip of blue craft foam that I marked with a sharpie for the extended body, uv dun ice dub for the thorax.

20140730_115159.jpg

I liked Dc410's stimulator, so decided my box should have a few of them as well. #14

20140730_115110.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Jeremy,
You can't go wrong adding a few stimulators to your box. They are just flat out fish catchers. The yellow ones always have worked real well for me and my favorite size is a 14. Fish them as a searching pattern, bang the banks as a terrestrial or fish them as the dry in a dry/dropper rig. You may end up with some doubles on the dry/dropper. I'm not sure there is a wrong way to fish them. They just produce!

This should get to the bottom in fairly short order. #12, 1/8 tung.

orangetagnymph_zps98e11d48.jpg

@dc410: Yea it's a neat pattern. I have a couple that I had purchased back when I was still buying all of my flies, but they are kind of large and they also have some flash tied into the wing. I can't remember ever having fished them.

When you tie yours, do you do anything to protect the palmered hackle? I thought about using a piece of tying thread or possibly some small wire to counter wrap the hackle. I decided not to because I was worried that the counter wrap and the hackle would cover up too much of the dubbing and that the yellow wouldn't show through.

jeremymcon wrote:

When you tie yours, do you do anything to protect the palmered hackle? I thought about using a piece of tying thread or possiblew some small wire to counter wrap the hackle. I decided not to because I was worried that the counter wrap and the hackle would cover up too much of the dubbing and that the yellow wouldn't show through.

If you look real close at my photo you can see the counter wrapped wire on the first turn in front of the tail. I tie my brown hackle in by the butt at the front of the abdomen and palmer it back to the tail. I then counter wrap some XS copper ultra wire that was tied in under the dubbed body over the hackle back to the front of the abdomen. The wire totally ties down the palmered hackle I don't use any thread to secure it. If you are worried about covering up too much of your dubbing just make your palmered hackle wraps a little more sparse. Also, when you tie in your tail, don't cut off the butts at the back. Wrap back over the butts with your thread using the butts of the elk/deer hair to form a nice even abdomen for under your dubbing. If you don't do this you will end up with a hump right in front of the tail that is a pain to dub and palmer over. I'm serious Jeremy, fish this pattern! You will be glad you did.

Feeling hopperish...too ick to play outside..

Attachments

• IMG_20140803_163333_899-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20140803_163333_899-800x600.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 3
Tnx! Its worked for me. Smaller sizes in weird colors work for brookies..bigger sizes work for warm water fish as well...

Nice Volks, nice. I'm thinking we should see more of your ties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back