>>>What are you tying today ? Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice dude, nice. Those all look very cool.

Real nice ties Jeremy. If your out there playing the WW game some evening on the Juniata and see small baitfish skipping around and busting the surface tie one of those gurglers on quick and start stripping. Good chance that some smallies are chasing the baitfish and you might get some real exciting hits on top on the gurgler. I wish I would have more of a chance to fish the Juniata for smallies, it is a great river. Good luck.

Real nice looking ties Jeremy, real nice.

I posted Kevin's tungsten torpedo and didn't have any of the sulky sliver metallic in black when I've tied them. Tonight I was out on my perusal of craft stores and went into Joann's fabric and found it. Thought I'd let anyone who wanted some of it know about it. There's 250 yds on the spool and costs $4.99 not bad, there's several other colors & one called holoshimmer. It's much smaller than other ribbing I've found. So there ya go.

Low on pink SJWs so tied a few of them. Next up, Rainbow Warriors and Purple Haze Cripples.

Come on Gene, let's see some pics. :)

Purple haze sounds interesting. I'd like to see some pictures of the cripple version once you've tied some.

Get crippled on purple haze.....

I tied up some Black Beauties yesterday with a tiny glass bead. While browsing through a Fly Shop (Redding CA) catalog I realized that pattern already exists and is called a Mercury Black Beauty; a good general midge pupa pattern that should fish well during the Tricos. I used a slightly curved sz 20 hook that turned out to be the only size listed in the catalog.

Decided to tie a few tricos today. I've been hoping to make it out to a trout stream some morning after working night shift, so thought these would come in handy. I really like the looks of the "reverse hackle stacker" pattern. I saw it in the trico thread that was posted recently, and initially thought it was goofy to tie a fly backward. It's actually really smart though! The big problem I have with tying small flies is crowding the eye, but tying in the hackle and thorax at the back of the fly eliminates this problem! I'll probably tie more flies like this. Maybe some blue winged olives.

The reverse hackle stacker is a size 20, and the poly spinner is a 24.

20140719_201701.jpg

20140719_201746.jpg

StarvinMarvin wrote:
On a tying tear this weekend.

DDE411B7-2256-4661-8104-4A812773724C.jpg

Thanks to Jack for hooking me up with some fur! You will definately be recieving som eof these.

I like the bead that's tucked into the thorax of the fly. Adds some weight without really adding anything flashy or unnatural. I'll have to try that.

Experimentally and without looking at other patterns first i decided to try a para ant pattern, Heres what came out of it. I chuckled a little after because its certainly not too artsy or pretty. What do you guys think?
20140720_225446.jpg

20140720_225422.jpg

Ha ha that certainly isn't a pretty and fly. Might catch fish anyway though. It definitely has the general features of an ant. What is the front of it made of that it's so shiny? Usually it's just dubbing.

front i dripped a bit too much head cement on, the thread is a reddish brown. I wanted a red/brown ant look but didnt have that color dubbing so i dubbed and covered it with the thread. Just wanted to play around with things and see what comes of it. The more I tie the better they'll get .

Caterpillar2_zps1f87347a.jpg

AntRed_zps92caef0d.jpg

BalloonCaddisRomanMoser_zpsd438cb46.jpg

Brown rubber legged wooly boogers(Its smallie season)

First attempt at Charles Meck's Patriot. Used poly yarn for wings (dont have calf tail)

CAM00263_zps3ca8f1f3.jpg

Looks nice, not sure if its the angle or not but the hackle & tail looks to be a bit too large. That's a great searcher, you'll have fun with it.

lv2nymph wrote:
Looks nice, not sure if its the angle or not but the hackle & tail looks to be a bit too large. That's a great searcher, you'll have fun with it.

What Jack said. But for a first it's pretty damn good. Using the calf will add a new element.

GenCon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back