>>>What are you tying today ? Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike you've gotta get to that vise! Thanks guys, Shane I'm glad I could be of some small service. :)

Experimental nymph JGxj9
#12 hook,1/8 tungsten bead, weighted with tungsten thread to a bit more than a 5/32 bead ( small & heavy)

greennymph_zps52181d0b.jpg

I know, I can't help it. ( I'm on a major tying binge)The main problem I have with uni-stretch is I have to wear vinyl disposable gloves or my hands shread it. #6, 3/16 tungsten bead

greyampwhitewoven_zpsa37e8db4.jpg

Tied a different pattern tonight for the carp arsenal. Can never have enough patterns in there. Darn big old carp seem to be tough to fool twice on the same old "go to" pattern, time to throw 'em a change up.

Attachments

• Damselfly.jpg
    Damselfly.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 4
Nice looking pattern John, that aught to get them moving.

Jack, nice ties. Is that a dynaking youre tying with?

Mike, stop it! Youve probably forgotten more than Ive yet to learn. My new favorite Gallagherism..."nymphasite" hahaha, so great.

DC, that blue collar bonefish candy is sweet looking.

Tyger LOL. DC that is a great looking fly. May have to steal your idea. Tied in different colors it would be a killer bonefish fly. Well done.

GenCon

I have an excursion coming up in Sept. that I need to tie for. On the list are: flesh flies, dolly llamas, egg sucking leeches.

J55tyger88 wrote:
Jack, nice ties. Is that a dynaking youre tying with?

You know your vises...

A bit of sparkle with a strip of black holographic tinsel.

wovenoliveblackstripe_zps4dbef3c2.jpg

Tied up my first Gamer tied using only three articulated shanks probably could trimmed allot more but I'm going to see how it swims first before I put the razor to it again.

34DB6078-E6EB-495D-A644-32A4AB225C94_zpsfxnnirhu.jpg

Very nice, has a great shape to it. I'd like an update if you do feel the need to trim anything.

Playing with the stonefly wing pad cutters from River road Creations. It's funny what light/pictures do to colors, the legs aren't brown and the tails aren't that green. It's just a phone camera.

wovenstone1_zps7bd8483d.jpg

wovenstone2_zps9eb3f8b4.jpg

I cranked out a few more of this pattern tonight for carp fishing. It is called a Silt Sifter and I found a youtube video showing how to tie it last year. I changed it up a bit to meet my available materials and colors that I wanted to represent. I'm sure it would also be very effective for smallmouth bass or trout for that matter.

For you brownliners out there, I had a great day on Saturday with this pattern. It seemed like the carp just couldn't resist it. I have attached a photo of a couple of the pattern that I tied tonight along with one that was demolished by five hook ups with carp this past Saturday morning. I would have kept fishing this fly because with carp flies sometimes the uglier they get the better they fish. But, in this case you can see that the materials were much more durable then the hook itself.

Silt Sifter

Hook: Mustad 9671, size 8
Thread: 6/0 brown or olive
Tail: Brown Pheasant Marabou
Flash: 4 strands of black pearl krystal flash per side by tail
Legs: 2 strands of med orange/black centipede legs per side by tail
Body: blend of hares ear and rusty brown dubbing
Hackle: brown speckled hen hackle tied in as a collar with some of the fuzzy fibers on the lower part of the feather included
Eyes: Med black bead chain eyes (Clouser style)
Head: fill in around eyes with Shrimp Pink UV Ice Dub (I don't know why I used this dubbing for the head but it works)

Trim the hackle on the bottom of fly so it rides flush in the silt where the carp like to hang out. Trim the flash a bit longer than the tail and trim the centipede legs a bit longer than the flash. Give this one a shot, it's a good one!

Attachments

• Silt Sifter Pattern.jpg
    Silt Sifter Pattern.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 6
Nice looking fly I think I will tie some of those up and give them a shot I'm always looking for some good carp patterns.

I'm really enjoying this thread! It's looking like it may stick around for a while. I wish the forum had a "like" button like on Facebook so I could "like" all the cool flies everyone's been tying.

World cup is ending .... back to tying during my free time

Lance Egan's Iron Lotus ...

20140613_190649_zps460674fb.jpg

Jack ... gonna tie some of those tungsten torpedos once I get some tungsten beads. Read on line they r very deadly ... what size do u recommend?

Stagger_Lee wrote:
.... once I get some tungsten beads.

Stags, are you ever near Bordentown, NJ? I mean are you familiar with the Sportmen's Center on 130? The have a nice inventory of tying supplies and material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back