>>>What are you tying today ? Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
OctoberCaddis_zps71cbaa7d.jpg

olivechironomid_zps89145624.jpg

nestegg_zps462bc38c.jpg

nestegg2_zps447596eb.jpg

Nice ties Norm. Best Regards Norm

Nfrechet, nice ties. What are the little jelly looking balls? Is that a colored epoxy?

I'm tying some saltwater Flatwing Sandeel flies.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 4
J55tyger88 wrote:
Nfrechet, nice ties. What are the little jelly looking balls? Is that a colored epoxy?

Fringe bead

step2_zps9948917e.jpg

I tied up a few of an old Crayfish pattern that I always considered a decent Smallmouth or Carp pattern until Saturday evening. I was fishing a pond for the first time with some really good Largemouths and Bluegills in it. I was throwing a lot of stuff (gurglers, wooly buggers, clousers, deceivers) at the bass and getting all kinds of looks but no takes. As I was digging into the bottom of my WW box this old crayfish pattern surfaced (I had even forgot that it was in there). I tied one on and on the first cast a 16" LMB inhaled it. I caught seven Largemouths and about 15 "butt kicking" bluegills - some pushing 10" with the majority of the fish being caught on this pattern before nightfall. Well, obviously the fly that I was using was totally demolished by the time that darkness fell over the pond so I had to head back to the vise.

I spruced this pattern up a bit from my original by adding some mono eyes that I made by melting the ends of some 40 lb. test Maxima Chameleon in brown and coloring the ends with a black sharpie marker. I also reinforced my hackle with very fine copper wire because once my fly was abused and the hackle got pulled back over the claws (fox squirrell tail hair) it pulled the claws all together and the pattern became less productive, not to mention that the rubber legs used foe the antennae were totally gone.

Attachments

• Crayfish.jpg
    Crayfish.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1
John, really nice ties and obviously very effective. Sounds like that turned into a great evening of fishing congrats.

Nfrechet, thanks, now i see.

DC, those look nice. Apparently they are like fish crack too!

Trying out some new material & hooks hends body quill, hends bl 599 #16

ad983999010c03800cf7cb5da30e43ac_zpsab40588e.jpg

Nice jack. That bead looks all jacked up.

Thanks Jim I appreciate that. Here's a couple on hends bl 554 #16
9bbbbd83d5d57127c254ae20f0b04a85_zps38805696.jpg

Hey its a nymphasite orgy! The nymphasite centipede...

I fished a hopper with a deer hair head the other day. It had been in my fly box for a while, and as I was fishing it I was surprised by how long it floated! So now I'm on a deer hair tying kick.

Streaking Caddis on a #14 light wire curved hook:
20140820_072331.jpg

Goddard Caddis #14:
20140820_072558.jpg

Deer hair damsel:
20140820_072359.jpg

And, mostly because I just bought some wiggle eyes from a craft store, green bass bug:
20140820_072515.jpg

I'm still working on getting the hair packed a little tighter, especially on the bass bug. I may try using more hair at a time and heavier thread to really pack it and spin it around the hook.

^thats good work jeremy. Looking nice.

A little something to take for a swim. #8
b3ba54e0238ee7c3979995850fbe7b90_zpse486d09a.jpg

Thanks John, appreciate it...

some sulphur nymph floaters in sz 18/20

Attachments

• floatnymph.jpg
    floatnymph.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1
A humid August evening, a good ball game, a cold beer and mixing up some different bucktail and flash. Tying Clousers is a good stress release for me. They are so easy to tie and the combinations are endless. This one is chartruese and olive bucktail, 2 strands of green flashabou, 2 strands of green kystal flash and medium weight chartruese dumbell eyes tied on a big old #2 stainless steel hook. Making up the "very green" Clouser. I hope it doesn't spook 'em.

Attachments

• Very Green Clouser.jpg
    Very Green Clouser.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back