>>>What are you tying today ? Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice looking streamer there Mike. It is one that should be in the box. John, I'm liking those nymphs you have there. I shall tie & try those, thanks. I'm tying some little olives I'll be moving to 18's then 16's before turning to the 14's of cahills, sulfurs and the like. Look like I'll be spending a good deal of the winter tying dries. :-D

John and jack, thanks. And yes the micky finn is a classic. John like those nymphs.

GenCon

Some BH red fox squirrel nymphs and some SJWs.

Attachments

• flies6.jpg
    flies6.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2
Tied a totally different caddis pattern tonight. Could serve as either an egg laying or emerger caddis pattern.

Attachments

• Caddis Emerger 1.jpg
    Caddis Emerger 1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Caddis Emerger 2.jpg
    Caddis Emerger 2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 3
DC410, that is a great looking fly. May have to give that a try.

GenCon

Yes, i like that alot John. Can we get a recipe?

Fish, excellent choice with rfsn's but I believe you already know that. :) That's a cool looking bug you've tied there John, looks like it would work well...

I like the San Juan worm with the thickened section in it like actual worms have. Very clever.

J55tyger88 wrote:
Can we get a recipe?

Thanks guys.

Tyger,
I tied this pattern off of you tube video I found by Davie McPhail. I believe the pattern is originally a Davy Wotton fly with some variation put on it by McPhail. I even put a little more variation on it just due to the availability of materials. I really liked the style of the tie and that is why I wanted to try it.

If I wasn't so "computer stupid" I would put up a link. But..... I am, so just Google "tying a caddis emerger" and on the list you will find a you tube video by Davie McPhail that is called "Cinnamon & Brown Emerger Caddis". He is a really talented fly tyer. The quality of some of the you tube fly tying videos varies greatly but there is some really good stuff out there.

John,
I have seen his videos and he is very good. I havent seen this one yet. Thanks!

Black nosed dace, another old pattern. Of course it still works today.
Polar bear, black bear, brown bucktail, embossed silver metal tinsel,
red wool tag. A fairly easy pattern to tie. The tricky part is showing all 3 colors of the wing. Takes a little practice. Also using real metal tinsel is a little tricky. It is not easy to get it flat. You need a really smoothe foundation to get it to lay flat. Tie it in in the front, wrap to the back and back forward. Fun to tie.

GenCon

Attachments

• black nosed dace.jpg
    black nosed dace.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2
Really nice tie Mike. Always liked that one...

GenCon wrote:
Black nosed dace, another old pattern.

GenCon

That is nice. Maybe after the holidays you could demonstrate how you tie a streamer (hint, hint).

GenCon wrote:
A fairly easy pattern to tie. The tricky part is

...getting the polar bear hair in America.

RCFetter, yes we will tie hair wing streamers after the holidays.

gfen, I have had polar bear for maybe 38 yrs. It was fairly common to find back then.

GenCon

I have polar bear from my antiquing days, old moth eaten skins do turn up occasionally. I use arctic fox tail as a substitute, isn't hollow like deer but doesn't quite shine like polar bear.

GenCon wrote:
gfen, I have had polar bear for maybe 38 yrs. It was fairly common to find back then.

Not for those of us who aren't older than dirt or have friends in Canada, eh, who are willing to violate CITES treaties.

gfen wrote:
GenCon wrote:

Not for those of us who aren't older than dirt or have friends in Canada, eh, who are willing to violate CITES treaties.

It is legal to own and tie with polar bear in the US. It is also legal to purchase under certain circumstances. Substitutes abound, but it is like seal fur in that once you tie with it you realize that the substitutes are quite inferior.
Nicely tied Mike. The BND is one of the few bucktail patterns I carry.
Mike.

It is legal to own and tie with polar bear in the US. It is also legal to purchase under certain circumstances. Substitutes abound, but it is like seal fur in that once you tie with it you realize that the substitutes are quite inferior.
Nicely tied Mike. The BND is one of the few bucktail patterns I carry.
Mike.[/quote]

Thanks Mike, and I agree substitutes are inferior. Nothing else has that translucency and shine. It is a little more difficult than buck tail or fox. But that is ok. I like to tie the older patterns I grew up with. I also like to tie them with the original materials. This pattern has a special place in my heart. I caught my very first trout on fly with this pattern. That was a long time ago. As gfen says some of us are older than dirt. LOL

GenCon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back