>>>What are you tying today ? Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW,

I've found that using a swing thread as body material can provide a really good looking, thin body and is durable. I used Coats and Clark swewing thread for many of my nymph bodies. The colors are endless.

You can tight wrap the thread for the body and over wrap with wire or other material. You can tie in two different colors to provide segmentation. You can also get thin segmentation by tight wrapping the sewing thread and use a darker or lighter colored tying thread as the base. The sewing thread even when tight wrapped will allow the base thread to show thru especially when wet.

Dale

Brian that's a fine bit of tying you've done there. Those nymphs are well shaped and very clean, which is no easy task given the fact you've used copper for thread. Very nice...
Sky, cool looking dry.

lv2nymph wrote:
Brian that's a fine bit of tying you've done there. Those nymphs are well shaped and very clean, which is no easy task given the fact you've used copper for thread. Very nice...
Sky, cool looking dry.

Had not noticed that until you pointed it out. I am not trying that any time soon.

Sucks to be newbie tier sometimes. :)

GenCon wrote:

The best herl IMO comes from a full peacock quill. The pre packaged stuff is rarely good for wrapping bodies. It is usually too flat and crushed from being in a package. So buy some whole quills. You'l be surprised at the difference.

GenCon

That's about the best herl advice you can get! Also, make sure you cut away about an inch from the tips as they are the most fragile part of the herl.

Those Sawyer nymphs are really nice! I think the thin profile is more realistic, and they sure work.
Mike.

Bergmans male March Brown. LV2nymph talked me into doing a contest he was aware of. The goal is tying a Bergmans Male March Brown wet. I have not tied a quill wing fly in over 20 years. Quill wing flys are my nemisis. Nevertheless it sounded like fun thing to do. So I am giving it a shot. This is my 4th attempt. I know the wings need to be well marked. But I am saving my best quills for when I get a bit of confidence in the tie. Critiques please?

GenGon

Attachments

• March Brown male.jpg
    March Brown male.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1
GenCon,

That is a really nice tie! I sure can't find any issues with it. Your quill wings look real nice.

Jack, Thank you. I'm glad you noticed that, and its high praise coming from you.

djs, don't let being a noob let you down, this forum is littered with my terrible beginning ties.

FrequentTyer, thank you. I find them devastating on the local limestoners, at least over the last year.

Gencon,

Nice looking tie. I realize I'm not qualified to judge, but it sure looks good to me.

Dave

RC,

Pretty nice looking fly. AS H.A. has said, "that dog will hunt".

Did you add a drop of head cement or Sally Hanson's to the wing case? Or are you thinking it needed more of the feather?

PS - I like your use of the cork to display the fly. May use that idea, if you don't mind. Now I'm off to empty the wine bottle! :)

Finished up this variation on the casual dress, The original is a go to for me and I wanted to try something lighter in color.
Hook #12 nymph (#12-16)
Tail: pheasant tail
Body: Beaver under fur
Under-collar: Coyote mask
Collar: natural rabbit
CasualDressVariation.JPG

Mike, I'd say you're doing a fine job with that tie. Looking real good.
Rc, get them puppies in the water and stick some trout. Well done.
Mike, I'm really liking your tie of the casual a lot.

PicketPinPopularFlyPatterns_zps4173cbfc.jpg

nfrechet, that is a nice looking picket pin. RCFetter, you have come a longway. FT great looking fly, nicely done.

GenCon

djs12354 wrote:
RC,

Or are you thinking it needed more of the feather?

PS - I like your use of the cork to display the fly. May use that idea, if you don't mind. Now I'm off to empty the wine bottle! :)

Wing case needed more feather. It's difficult to find the right type of cork requiring much wine consumption. However, wine does not go as well as beer with wooly buggers.

nfrechet,

I like that Picket Pin tie. The Picket Pin is an awesome old classic wet fly pattern. There are so many great variations of it and the fish pretty much pound them all. I don't think I ever saw one with a totally wire body before. Great for getting it down into the water column real quick. Nice!

The Picket Pin is a great fly but it is one of these odd beasts that defy definition. I've seen so many variations that I can't really be sure what a picket pin is, but I know it when I see it. Nicely tied Norm. I don't think I have seen the squirrel collar before.
Mike.

I don't have a fly to show today, but I'd like to add the cork from an empty bottle of Glenlivet is more preferable to me than a wine cork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back