>>>What are you tying today ? Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
SBecker wrote:
Try tying the cdc in a dubbing loop and wrapping the collar.

Shane, you'll have to show me that technique sometime. I have never tried a dubbing loop.

What are the advantages?

I can show you next weekend at the tying shindig. I think it traps air bubbles better. Gives it a buggier look. Just my opinion

It looks like Shane's going to hook you up With the dubbing loop Dave. Shane please show Dave how to incorporate some dubbing in the loop with the cdc as well. One thing I might critique about your ties there Dave is I'd like to see you wrap the collar just behind the bead to give a veiling over the front biots also. Take care how much cdc you use what you have there is not quite enough, but you don't need a whole lot more. Once you've tied it drop the fly in a shallow container of water and see how it looks to you, you'll then know for sure if you need more or less cdc. The body should be veiled by your collar but still allowed to shine through. Except for a few small touches I think your looking good Dave...

Dave, if you follow this link you will see my peeping caddis pattern. It facilitates cdc in a dubbing loop. It really gives a nice air bubble around the body when wet.

More clousers,This time with fresh buck tail(Respectable 7 point)

Congrats on harvesting the buck.

GenCon

Hope to fill out all the way around,Buck then smallie or trout,bluegill,perch,callico,bullhead,shark.moby dick,snagger standing in the middle of the run,ect,ect

Shane and Jack,

Thanks for the advice!

Looking at the flies after a while, I think I need to add a bit more dubbing to the body when using the wire wrap. It seems a little too compressed to me. Maybe if I hit it with the dubbing brush it will look a little better to me.

Jack - I think a bit of the problem with the collar is from not using slotted beads. These are tied on a jig hook and the bead sits a little cocked. Also, they are tied upside down, so I was struggling a bit working around the point of the hook with the biots.

I'll keep hacking away at this until you guys come and seize my vise and materials to save me from myself. :)

Dave

djs12354 wrote:
Looking at the flies after a while, I think I need to add a bit more dubbing to the body when using the wire wrap. It seems a little too compressed to me. Maybe if I hit it with the dubbing brush it will look a little better to me.

Dave

Dubbing never looks as good as herl IMHO. Are you wrapping the wire in the opposite direction so it doesn't sink into the dubbing? Using a dubbing loop on the body too might also help get you a fuller buggy look, but the wire will compress that even more. We can look at some herl tricks after Shane does his loop magic if interested.
Mike.

Gotcha, didn't notice that from the angle of the flies. But see it now, said the blind man. :-D

Tying sawyer pt nymphs in 14 + 16

Hook is a Mustad 3906, it is 3x heavy so she gets down and will rise in the water column if you let her...

IMG_3220.png

Did not wrap the wire in the opposite direction. Realized my brain-fart after I tied those couple up.

I gotta say I hate herl. Much prefer the ice peacock dubbing.

FrequentTyer wrote:
djs12354 wrote:

Dave

Dubbing never looks as good as herl IMHO. Are you wrapping the wire in the opposite direction so it doesn't sink into the dubbing? Using a dubbing loop on the body too might also help get you a fuller buggy look, but the wire will compress that even more. We can look at some herl tricks after Shane does his loop magic if interested.
Mike.

Nice looking tie, Mario

Don't give up on the herl, Dave. As you well know, it can be frustrating, very brittle and unforgiving at times but it gives a really good look that the fish sometimes can't resist. When counterwrapped with light wire it can be very durable. The possibility also exsists that you may have just purchased a bad batch of peacock herl. There is definitely differences in the quality herl that can be purchased. Keep at it!

I prefer tight bodies on almost all my nymphs, except those nymphs I am trying to imitate that have rear gills. Like an Iso.

Tying dry flies...Green Drakes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2
and some 18's for those baetis…

IMG_5156.png

DC

The herl I have came with the tying kit I was presented with at the jam. I'm sure it's not the best.

I do like the look that comes from the ice dub, but am willing to give the herl another shot,

Nice Rick

What's the materials list? (If you don't mind sharing)

djs12354 wrote:
DC

The herl I have came with the tying kit I was presented with at the jam. I'm sure it's not the best.

I do like the look that comes from the ice dub, but am willing to give the herl another shot,

The best herl IMO comes from a full peacock quill. The pre packaged stuff is rarely good for wrapping bodies. It is usually too flat and crushed from being in a package. So buy some whole quills. You'l be surprised at the difference.

GenCon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back