>>>What are you tying today ? Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
More fun with mono...simple fly for sime minded fish....

Attachments

• IMG_20141115_154810_665836489-768x1365.jpg
    IMG_20141115_154810_665836489-768x1365.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 3
Nice looking tie volks, although I have a bit of advise that I feel will serve you well. Stop the body above the middle of the bend, that way the hook can seat well into the bend of the hook while fighting a fish.

Thanks!

Had a day off yesterday, and decided it was too cold to go fishing, so I tied some flies!

Not sure what they called them, but at the Field and Stream store in Altoona they sell parachute dry flies with huge clumps of material as a parachute post. I'm not sure if it was egg yarn, or just really bushy poly yarn, but it looks like there's a small yarn strike indicator on top of the flies. I thought this might be handy as a dry to tie a dropper off of, so attempted to imitate it. My parachute post isn't quite as puffy as theirs were, but it's close. Indicator Adams, size 12:

20141116_180953.jpg

Sitting next to it is a #16 parachute BWO. The post on that one is light dun Hi-Float fibers from fly tyers dungeon.

Also tied up a few biot bodied BWO's in #18. I may have oversized the hackle a bit, but I'm still going to fish them when I get the opportunity:

20141116_180630.jpg

Some poly wing caddis:

20141116_181031.jpg

Some little black stone fly nymphs, size 16:

20141116_181056.jpg

These are tied with small black "bug legs" from FTD for the tails, antennae, and body, peacock black dubbing from FTD, and pheasant tail for the wing case. Based on a pattern I got from tightlinevideo on youtube.

May have had a bit of fly tyers' ADD yesterday. I only managed to tie a couple of each pattern.

Charlie Craven's PTA (Pheasant Tail Alternative). This is a 14 for the photo. I tie most in 16 and 18.

Sorry for the bad Ipad photo:

Attachments

• PTA.jpg
    PTA.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 3
Tiogadog wrote:
Charlie Craven's PTA (Pheasant Tail Alternative).

Interesting. I would never have thought to use copper wire for the thorax of a fly. It's kind of like reversed copper John.

Tiogadog wrote:
Charlie Craven's PTA (Pheasant Tail Alternative). This is a 14 for the photo. I tie most in 16 and 18.

Sorry for the bad Ipad photo:

Never saw that one, but I tie a nymph that I call my Anti-PT Nymph.
Doesn't look anything like the PTA.

I've been wanting to try a crayfish imitation beyond a wooly bugger and saw "Crawbody"s when at A&G Outfitters.

This one is tied on a size 12 1xl hook, weighted with .010 lead wire, built up the underbody with some light brown micro chenille and then dubbed with sprectra blend nymph dubbing in dark hare's ear and a brass bead for a little more weight and some flash.

Think I'll tie future ones on jig hooks.

Looking forward to trying this out on the Lackawanna this coming Friday.

Attachments

• crayfish1.jpg
    crayfish1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1
  • crayfish2.jpg
    crayfish2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1
GRHE and some pearl jams. If I get to them a few mickey finns.

[/quote]

Interesting. I would never have thought to use copper wire for the thorax of a fly. It's kind of like reversed copper John. [/quote]

Hook: 2x Nymph
Tail: Pheasant tail ...do not clip ends, cover with thread to the hook eye

Abdomen: Chestnut brown rod wrapping thread

Wing Case: Lagartun Braid..green

Thorax: Ultra wire...black or green

Legs: Leftover pheasant fibers folded back

My first flies tied with this legging material. Comments?

Attachments

• 20141119_094215 (800x600).jpg
    20141119_094215 (800x600).jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 1
Look pretty cool Bill, how do they look/feel in hand?

lv2nymph wrote:
Look pretty cool Bill, how do they look/feel in hand?

Thanks Jack. I colored them with a brown marker to give them a realistic look. Then I used a little soft tex to add stiffness to them so they wouldn't fold when I fish them.
I hope to take them swimming Monday and get some feedback from some trout.

Bill

You could also use flex cement on them too. I think the UV coating will make them too stiff. Just my cents.

Those nymph legs look really good, Bill. Let us know how they fish.

I tied up a couple of soft hackles tonight. A partridge and purple and a partridge and peacock. I really like the purple Pearsall's silk on the soft hackle flies and they have really produced well for me under a variety of conditions.

Attachments

• Partridge and Purple Soft Hackle.jpg
    Partridge and Purple Soft Hackle.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Partridge and Peacock Soft Hackle.jpg
    Partridge and Peacock Soft Hackle.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 3
Nice John, wets are fun to tie and a blast to fish. Pearsall's silk has been around for so long it gives you a nostalgic feeling fishing them, and it's such a great fish attracting material. Well done.

Some really good looking flies guys. DC410. Really nice softies. Hackle is perfect. Sparse and nicely distributed.

GenCon

Nice soft hackles John. I really like using Pearsall's silk for my soft hackles too. It makes really slim bodies for these flies. Are those Alec Jackson hooks?

Love those wets! Purple is the new black. Did you happen to catch the spider fly presentation at the Lancaster show last year?

Thanks for positive feedback on the soft hackles.

Bill, They are both tied on Daiichi 1550 hooks.

Stoneman - I was at the Lancaster Show last year most of the day on Saturday but I did not see the spider fly presentation.

I'm glad to see the resurgence in wet fly fishing. I've been fishing them since the 60's, and today I catch 50% of my fish on wets. You can really cover the water well, using the line and the rod tip during the swing and retrieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back