Weight forward or Double taper?

I only fish DT's on my trout rods because they do the job and I like the 2 for 1 aspect. Because I do flip them I have a few criteria in that respect: a single color on both ends and the same taper on both ends.

That eliminates Rio, Airflo, and I believe Orvis.

I also like lighter colors, line loops on both ends and short front tapers so for the quite awhile the only plastic DT's I buy are Sci Angler Mastery.

I also use real silk DT's on my bamboo rods.

Trying to cast nymph rig 30'...WF
With a 10' rod, plus the length of the leader, at 30' you'll only have 15 feet or so of line out -- not enough to for there to be any difference between DT and WF. You need to making casts of 45' or longer before there's any real difference between the two, at which point you lose the ability to mend a WF line.

For river fishing, there are very few times when a WF has any advantage over a DT line, and is at a disadvantage for fishing at longer distances. (The exception might be shooting heads for spey casting, and even there, you're not using actual WF lines per se.)

The real advantage of WF is in still water and salt water fishing where casting distance matters and the retrieve is going to be in a straight line.

With a three weight rod used for fishing moving waters, I would never even consider a WF.

Feathercraft offers all kinds of fly lines, fair # of DTs.

I only fish DT's on my trout rods because they do the job and I like the 2 for 1 aspect. Because I do flip them I have a few criteria in that respect: a single color on both ends and the same taper on both ends.

That eliminates Rio, Airflo, and I believe Orvis.

I also like lighter colors, line loops on both ends and short front tapers so for the quite awhile the only plastic DT's I buy are Sci Angler Mastery.

I also use real silk DT's on my bamboo rods.
I can find DT line in all three of these.

I don't use it much anymore, but I have a 10' 3w Recon that I use a 3DT Rio gold line on it and it casts very well.

Note that if you are using a small 3w line size reel a DT will likely be too thick to put much backing under it. I use a 5w size lamson liquid
I'm one of THOSE guys, that always oversize their reels. I have a 2 weight and a pair of three weights and all are married with 5/6 weight reels. The larger reels balance them for a better feel, imo. Plenty of room for a 2 or 3 weight line on a large arbor 5/6 reel. 😁

...Xactly...!!

And I don't know if they changed it or still make it but the ONE Airflo line DT I own, a Super-Dri Elite has a different taper on each end.
Oh, ok. Ill have to check that out. Do they show that on their illustrations?

Color would bother me. Help me remember if I'd flipped it yet. 🤣 but 6ft on each end and the rest all belly...

1710020046030.png

I'm one of THOSE guys, that always oversize their reels. I have a 2 weight and a pair of three weights and all are married with 5/6 weight reels. The larger reels balance them for a better feel, imo. Plenty of room for a 2 or 3 weight line on a large arbor 5/6 reel. 😁

I realize that a lot of folks are tight-lining with really long rods that throw really light line weights and in those situations I couldn't even imagine using some of the sub 3" reels I have spooled up with 3 wt lines.

However in my case, with the exception of one 8'6" rod I own that throws a 3wt, most of my 3wts rods are short and any reel heavier than about 2.5 oz feels like a brick on short rod.

I’ll be putting it on a Lamson 5 wt.

If putting a DT line on a 10’ 3wt, would it be better to overweight it by one line size to slow down the rod?

I have that exact rod. I use a weight forward 3wt line and it casts beautifully when the sulfurs are on the water. For the rest of the day, it’s perfect for tight line nymphing.

The action is slow, which is my preference.

If I were looking for the delicate presentation of a double tapered line, I’d probably use a 4 wt.

The rod was designed to be excellent for both casting and tight line nymphing, and I believe it lives up to the advertised abilities.

Initially, I bought the 4wt 10 foot echo, and I liked it so much (and spend so much of my fishing time in pursuit of little trout), I bought the 3wt to get a better fight out of the 9 inchers.

In a library of about 70 fly rods, the echo rods are in my casting hand probably 75 percent of the time.

Bottom line is I recommend first a wt forward 3, second a level 3 (any 3wt is going to give a fairly delicate presentation in the hands of a proficient caster), and distant third is a double taper 4wt line on a 3wt rod.

Also, the echo is a great rod for roll casting, and is the absolute best bow cast rod I’ve ever used.

Back