Finger lakes

laurelhighlander

Will be in Watkins Glen this weekend, not a fishing trip but will have fly rod. I will attempt fishing seneca lake from the bank I guess🙄, anyone who know anything about the area have any better ideas

Will be in Watkins Glen this weekend, not a fishing trip but will have fly rod. I will attempt fishing seneca lake from the bank I guess🙄, anyone who know anything about the area have any better ideas
I tried it once, in August, during bass season. Not much luck from the shore. I did fish a stream that connected two lakes with more success, the Keuka Outlet, which connects Penn Yam with Dresden. It was a stocked fishery, either delayed harvest of catch and release. The link below features ten fisheries in the region. Top Ten Finger Lakes Trout Streams.

I haven’t been there in many years but Catharine creek used to fish really well. Cayuga inlet should be getting hot as well.

I have fished the finger lakes from the shore and done quite well. I found pike and lake trout near the shore. This was many years ago and I was using a spinning rod. Either way, fish can be caught from shore. It was also summer when I was there.

Fish should be moving back in shallow on nice days in the autumn.

Not sure many trout will be close to shore, but bass and pike may hit. Shore fishing spots are at the salt pier on the west side and Smith Memorial Park on the East side. The salt pier (US Salt) is a known spot for landlocked salmon, but water should be too warm. You can fish off the dock right in town, but too many tourists around for a safe backcast - it's spinning gear with a slip bobber territory. The fish will be about 20 ft down in drop off just past the pier.

The tribs may have a few juvenile rainbows and maybe some early landlocked salmon, but usually takes a rise in water to draw them in. Low, clear water in the creeks will keep the trout in the lake.

Lake Cayuga tribs a little bigger and may draw more fish in. Cayuga Inlet or Fall Ck may have some fish cruising around - but a push of cool water would help bring them in. Low and clear doesn't bode well there either. The Cayuga tribs are in Ithaca about 45 minute drive away.

BTW, I really like the Riesling wines up at Hermann J Wiemer and the hike down Watkins Glen is great. Take the shuttle up and walk down.

Have a great trip.

Back