Tying jam

GenCon

GenCon

Hello all fellow tyers. I have been in touch with Ed Mauer "Heritage angler" about doing a tying jam. Ed said that He and Mike Marino have been far too busy with work to set it up. Does anyone have interest in doing a tying jam maybe in mid to late Jan or even Feb 2016? If so chime in.
I know this should be in the events section. But I thought I would post it here first. I know not everyone checks the events page.
Lets hear from you.

GenCon

Good call! Been thinking about this recently as well. It's always a great time.

If by any chance this winds up on a sunday, I'm almost positive I can make it (work schedule gets a little crazy in the winter). Keep us posted!

Mike, I'm interested but due to work, there's 50% chance of my getting involved or attending. I'll send you an email.

Relative to last year's jam, I think that setting up a 1 hr intro presentation or class, for beginners or those interested in getting started, is a good idea.

I would definitely be interested and try to attend if my schedule allowed. If for nothing else, just an opportunity to get together with some of you guys in the off season and get into some tying. I've met a lot of great folks by participating in the tying jams over the past three years. Thanks, Mike and keep us posted if anything develops.

dc410 wrote:
I would definitely be interested and try to attend if my schedule allowed. If for nothing else, just an opportunity to get together with some of you guys in the off season and get into some tying. I've met a lot of great folks by participating in the tying jams over the past three years. Thanks, Mike and keep us posted if anything develops.

John, it would be great to have you. I would hope to get at least 15 tyers. John that sparrow nymph you tied for the last swap is a great tie. Hint.

GenCon

Thanks Mike. I actually did tie the Sparrow Nymph (I believe at the 2013 Tying Jam). However, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to tying it again. It's a fun one to tie as well as a good demonstration tie with the use of a dubbing loop concept and tying in a soft hackle. It's also a favorite of mine because it uses all natural materials. It fishes pretty darn good too. Stay in touch.

I would I like to see this happen as I've heard great things about this event in the past from GenCon and Tyger. As a new tier, this would be great event for new folks like myself, I've participated in the last two fly tie swaps and had a ton of fun with my new vice. I'd like to be able to show it off so you can count me in.

Probably be there as a spectator as I won't be tying (or fishing) until March or April due to some tendon/shoulder surgery. Happy to eat and drink at Riverwalk afterwards though....

I'm in as well. John I agree with Mike, that nymph is stellar! Let me know how I can help.

Mike

If schedule permits I will be happy to help with set up or whatever. It will be great to see everyone.

I do not think my tying skills warrant my being a demonstrator.

Dave

djs12354 wrote:

I do not think my tying skills warrant my being a demonstrator.

Dave

Yes they do.

Sounds like we have a good start. Dave I agree with JT. don't cut yourself short. There is something to learn from everyone.
Old Lefty
that would be great to have you there. Your experience and skills would be a great addition.
I will make some calls this week and see what type of dates we can have. I do think it should be on a Sat. Many folks have Sunday commitments. Family obligations, church and such.

GenCon

Where does this "jam" happen. I'm not exactly an expert tyer but I may have something to offer to a new tyer or someone looking to learn a new technique.
I've never been able to figure out how to post a pic on this site so I haven't participated in this particular board.

Another try at a photo.

Attachments

• mellyfly (600x800).jpg
    mellyfly (600x800).jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 2
This is a pattern I use as a searcher pattern. It works well!!
First pic i ever got on here but not sure exactly how I did it.

I am perplexed at how many people have difficulty posting photos. If you follow the intuitive guidance, particularly paying attention to the format and size of the file, it is very easy.

"Attach file," then select it from your hard drive. Please note:

"Maximum file size: 200K; Allowed extensions: zip gif jpg jpeg png"

Voila!

Attachments

• AV_TuxCig.jpg
    AV_TuxCig.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 3
Jack.

I think the file size is what gets most people. It's almost auto "magic" how pictures are saved/sent to a person's computer anymore and no thought goes into how you are saving them.

If anyone is having problem re-sizing a picture to be able to post it, shoot me a pm and I will help with re-sizing a photo to fit the size requirements.

Dave

Also, I like the imitation. You can go sparse with materials on this for calm Spring days.

Back