Toothy Critter Success Thread

Thanks guys. It was difficult taking video. I see why people like the go pro now. I took that with my cell phone laying on my backpack.

Edited....nevermind answered my question

On another note...hitting em hard this week since the moons and whatnot. Pretty stoked

Td, two other buddy's and I have two days of floating and camping this weekend. Over twenty miles of greasy musky water. Then the 7&8th got the musky tourney at Glendale. I fore see a great time and a sore casting arm and maybe a musky or two.

Finally made it in the toothy critter club.

Had to use a huge 7" jointed Rapala and and 17 lb. Berkeley line on my spin rod to do ot though.

I've been doin good with smallies at one of my new found spots and when it hit from about 30 some yards away I thought "Oh man that's huge" and then I was like that can't be a bass. Then the next second I switched back and forth between carp and musky and in the back of my head going it can't be a musky... please be a musky!!

And then it took off and thrashed and jumped out of the water. I thought I might lose my rod. I was like Hell Yeaaah! Musky Baby !!!

I would have tried to get a shameless selfie hero shot but I was more concerned with finding my pliers to get the fish released quickly. Hemos worked fine. Was not wearing waders and had to take my work boots off and get in to make sure such a beautiful fish was properly released to swim off on its own.

Attachments

• Awesome_1401277952604.jpg
    Awesome_1401277952604.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Awesome_1401277861093.jpg
    Awesome_1401277861093.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1
Awesome fish man! Look at those teeth!

Something incredible happened on our float tonight.....

43" Tiger took a baby bass gamechanger. Hands down coolest eat so far. Saw him come out of nowhere and just annihilate my fly. Sorry for the blur....you know how it is...

IMG_99501.jpg

Wow! Very nice tiger.
Seems like the toothies are hot right now. Maybe the warmer weather and stormy conditions? Whatever the case, the bite may be on. June is usually a prime month for chasing river muskies.

Thanks fishidiot. We have been keying in on two things...the moon and the barometric pressure. Today there was a downpour, then right after the rain ceased, bam...it happened. The first tiger I got was within 10 minutes of moonset (full moon), and this one a little over two hours before moonset (new moon). Something about that drop in pressure and the moon makes them crazy....or atleast I think. Who really knows with these things

T' great tiger. You are tearing it up!Seems to me keeping a eye on actual sunset and moon rise and the actual sunrise and moonset are the times. The fringes of the day. If ya combine that with a front (pressure swing) and a full or new moon ya got the super storm of primo conditions.

Thanks Paco. Yeah I couldnt agree more. I got two musky on a conventional rod last year so I went back and looked at the times the pictures were taken, and cross referenced it with the solunar tables from last year and it all started to make a pattern. Plus I read about it a few times. I think that's the key. I also changed up my fly patterns this Spring and it seems to make a difference. I caught that fish on a 5-6" gamechanger. Dark olive over white with a black stripe. All the fish I've landed, hooked, and had follows from so far have been from flies with two distinct colors on top of eachother. Black over white, olive over white, etc.

TLoomis wrote:

43" Tiger took a baby bass gamechanger. Hands down coolest eat so far. Saw him come out of nowhere and just annihilate my fly. Sorry for the blur....you know how it is...

280.gif

Thanks guys

Dude that is a great fish, big head on that beast. All this musky action is too much for me I need to get out ASAP! Lol. Congrats man.

I have a question for the musky tribe we have going in here. I'm looking at Tloomis' fish here and the tigers are striped up pretty distinctly. Do tigers go clear phase at all to a certain extent in creeks and rivers?

Or is that just a purebred thing (clear phase) and tigers stay heavily striped regardless

Crawdad31 wrote:
Or is that just a purebred thing (clear phase) and tigers stay heavily striped regardless

I've never seen a clear phase tiger. Tigers are usually pretty well marked.

Clear phase purebreds are actually pretty rare. Almost all of them have some markings if you look closely.

Ok kool that clears something up for me here concerning identifying them. Thanks

I've only caught 1 clear phase up on the Chip' in Wisco. One in pa that was close (faint stripes)two years ago. I was told that clear phase fish will only come from a river and usually only mature breading age fish.

Wow, now that is a fish. Way to go. Congrats.

GenCon

TLoomis wrote:
Awesome fish man! Look at those teeth!

IMG_99501.jpg
Nice fish Ty, Pop sent me the pic today. I know how it is and where it is. :)

I joined the club today as well. Looked like Jake's only smaller, maybe 25 inches. Got it on a relatively small rebel trackdown. We were canoeing the Swattie. Man did he put up a fight! Literally 5 minutes into the float.

Back