Toothy Critter Success Thread

Crawdad,

I've been using the Luhr Jensen Hook file that a lot of tackle shops have. I'm sure there are many file type sharpeners that will work for ya. Those seem to do the job for me rather well, so I make sure I always have a spare with me too. It definitely seems to help me out, especially when a fish hits close and I don't have much room for a good strip strike.

Also, on the flies that I have tied, I've been using the Gamakatsu Spinnerbait bait hooks. They are strong and hold a good edge.

They may not be pike or muskie, but they have tons of razor sharp teeth hidden beneath their gums! Mean fish. Had my best day ever fly fishing for them Saturday evening. Between my brother and I we must have hooked into 10 or so on the fly. Lots of fun.....even the smaller 17-18 inchers put up a great fight with the 8wt.

IMG_3108_zpsa34a6847.jpg

IMG_3126_zps3910d0ed.jpg

Also saw what appeared to be a bunch of small grass pickerel just hanging out in some shallow, flooded areas. They were pretty spooky as every time we'd walk near the bank they'd dart away. Tried everything from small streamers to tiny dries and couldn't get as much as a follow. Tough little buggers.

IMG_3080_zps1d12a94e.jpg

Nice Bowfin there sir. Yesterday evening I managed to raise two fish and a buddy raised 2, couldn't convert them though, even had one good fish follow around and around on the 8. Not a bad night

Anybody catching anything??????

I had a musky follow this afternoon but he didn't commit. Did get this guy though which had some serious teeth!!

c2a06014-f0fc-4082-9ebc-d157af8f2b68_zps044c793e.jpg

It's been a ruff summer for me. I've fished alotta new water and have switched tactics up. Alotta follows but the tuff times make the 5 min a chaos when ya hook 1 that much sweeter. I've got 1 more musky tourney to fish this year on my home water of Curwensville lake. It's sponsored by the Nittany Valley Musky Alliance chapter 64 of Musky inc.
2B6655B1-A9ED-4FEA-91B3-F8CB56456C0F_zpslf5u1jth.jpg

My brother and I landed 6 (5 on the fly) up in NY for their opening weekend in June. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get back out since. Its driving me crazy not being on the water. Hopefully back at em in the near future. Good luck to everyone who is lucky enough to be getting out.

Jay

The musky "Tiger Hunt" at Curwenville dam is Sept 20 & 21. I'll post up the details tomorrow after chapter meeting.

I've been out three times around this moonphase and didn't even get a single follow. WTF. I'm getting beat up this year. This was the first time(s) I've been out where I didn't raise fish. Anyone catching or raising fish?

Getting beat up is the name of the game. Just weathering the storm to the next fish is what it's about. Success is a follow, working a fish in the 8, figuring a out a tactic, Sh!t being motivated to just get out and do it knowing the reality of what your trying to pull off. If it's all about hooking up you missing the best part the journey getting there.

After two years of fishing for them I finally got one this morning around 6am. Hit like a freight train. Is this a purebred or tiger? Didn't get a measurement but i think it was close to 40.

Attachments

• 2014-08-025.jpg
    2014-08-025.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 2
Congrats Rob give us some more details here ?

Nice catch, would like to hear more about it also.

I located a couple nice muskies in a local river a few weeks ago while kayaking and fishing for bass/panfish. I wanted to wait for what in my amateur opinion were "good conditions" to go back and fish for them. With the rainy weather on saturday and it being within a few days of a new moon I figured I'd give it a shot. I was on the water before sun up saturday.

I had more action on saturday, but couldn't put one in the kayak. I had a fish boil on the fly and i pulled the hook away while attempting to set the hook and i had multiple follows from what i think was the same fish that hit the fly very lightly earlier in the morning. By about 8am some other boats were on the water, things seemed to have died off a little, and i was hungry for breakfast. With all the action i had on saturday i was motivated to try again on sunday. The sight of a large wake following behind your fly while you just keep stripping and hoping the fish strikes really gets you going.

I was at the same spot before sun up sunday morning. I felt more confidence in my strategy and approach on sunday from what i had learned the day before. I fished for about half an hour with no signs of musky and that's when it happened...I was stripping a large tandem bucktail rainbow trout pattern tied by jay348 near where i had some action the day before. Out of nowhere the fish hit, the water's surface boiled explosively, and this time there was no doubt that its intention was to kill and eat the fly. I felt the line go tight and I had the composure to remember to pump the rod several times hard to make sure the hook set well.

The fight felt like it took a long time but in reality it was probably around 1 minute. The fish pulled my kayak around for a little while and then surfaced on it's side from fatigue. I had always thought that tailing the fish would be the most practical method from a kayak, so i was trying to get a good shot at it's tail. Tailing it wasn't working and the fish was making short runs before surfacing again on it's side. This happened 3-4 times before the fish's head came towards the kayak upside down, giving me a perfect shot at the jaw grab. I was scared it would freak out when i touched it and break me off, but luckily it was very sedate through the whole process. I grabbed it by the lower jaw and slid it into the kayak over the side so it's body weight was always supported. I took a couple shots that didn't turn out well of it in the kayak. I was shaking from adrenaline and i think the lens was fogged. Luckily my friend was fishing with me and was able to get 2 photos of me holding it before release.

I was anxious to get it back in the water quick because i felt i played it a little harder than i should have with messing around trying to land it. i thought it's complete lack of struggling while unhooking it may be a sign it was exhausted. I put the fish in the water and almost as soon as i put it back, it took off powerfully. Finally after 2 years of fishing for them, albeit halfheartedly, I landed a musky and a nice one at that! I stopped fishing for musky after that, partly to give my friend a better shot at getting one and mostly because i was so content. It just couldn't get any better than that. I was happy to catch a few sunnies on a beetle pattern and head home for breakfast.

Awesome story there! Wish I could've witnessed it, and I'm glad that fly got to see some teeth.

That is FANTASTIC!! Congrats man, on a fine job all around. Hell of a nice fish to start out with too.

Jay

Thanks guys! It's definitely an experience i'll remember for a long time.

Congrats great looking fish you got there

Great fish buddy and outta a 'yak impressive!

Back