Toothy Critter Success Thread

JVenezia wrote:
Anyone having any toothy critter luck in Lancaster or York county?

Lake Marburg in York Co has really turned on as a muskie hot spot in recent years as stocking has been increased. This summer a 51" fish was caught and released. Keep in mind, that this is a deep, cold lake and FFing for toothies during the summer months is likely going to be a wasted effort. The big fish from that lake are traditionally targeted by anglers trolling conventional gear. However, during the springtime, mainly in April, fish are in shallow and a fly rod might get a strike. It's also a good pike lake too, although my efforts to get a pike or muskie there this spring did not produce. You really need to put in your time.

Anyone ever try Long Level dam on Pequea river?

JVenezia wrote:
Anyone having any toothy critter luck in Lancaster or York county?
I would love a good starter spot for this toothy critter newbie...

The Conewago Creek is worth checking out. Harmony Grove road to where it dumps in the Susquehanna contains musky. It does not see a whole lot of pressure.

Long Arm dam has a good pike population. Spring and Fall they turn on pretty good.

As Fishidiot said Marburg is pointless to fish shallow other than a small window in early spring. Those fish are deep 95% of their life. The two biggest fish from the lake this year were caught trolling deep. 51.5" in July and a girthy 48" came out 3 weeks ago. There was a nice one caught early spring by a bass fisherman casting in about 8' of water.

Got out on the boat the other day during that morning snow storm we had here in SEPA. We had one hookup, but just like they say, it happens when you least expect it. Checking the time on the cellphone and a big girl decides to take a swipe on my buddy's fly. Had it on for a few seconds but didnt get a good strip set in time...oh well theres always NEXT TIME....

Wondering where you guys buy your pike and musky flies? I will need a starter kit for this summer and not sure where to get them reasonably priced.

Great Lakes Fly
Mooser's Musky Flies

JVenezia I tie all my own flies

I'm with TD.. I've never purchased one. As ugly as mine are they catch fish. Musky flies are stupid expensive.

Is anyone near SEPA trying to meet up and do some musky fishing sometime between March 9-15? (next week). I will be home from school then, and am dying to get out somewhere. I live outside of West Chester, but I am willing to drive under 2 hours (unless you twist my arm haha). I can give you some $ or beer for taking me out on your boat too. I fish out of a 1980s bayliner bowrider with two trolling motors so I'm limited to lakes and it looks like everything is going to be iced up still. I've got all the gear, flies, and I can cast :lol:

Shoot me a PM!

TLoomis wrote:
I can give you some $ or beer for taking me out on your boat too.

Cmon didn't you learn anything from the rouge guide thread???

May have a small window this sunday. PM coming your way.

jay348 wrote:
TLoomis wrote:
I can give you some $ or beer for taking me out on your boat too.

Cmon didn't you learn anything from the rouge guide thread???

May have a small window this sunday. PM coming your way.

Sweet. Not familiar with the rouge guide thread haha. What was the lesson?

Forgot how good musky slime smells!
image_zps5f0de959.jpg

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Forgot how good musky slime smells!

Hurrray! Great start to the 2014 toothy season. Nice to see you found some open water....but I guess the rivers are starting to break up or you were in a tailrace(?). Hopefully, the ice will be off the local lakes soon although it may still take awhile considering how thick the ice is.

I was out east with some of my friends. No ice mild temps. Still not ideal conditions!

I'm a little late to this party but congrats. I'm like a crackhead right now without a fix. I'm itchin so bad to get out. Glad to see someone gettin into it.

Crawdad31 wrote:
I'm a little late to this party but congrats. I'm like a crackhead right now without a fix. I'm itchin so bad to get out. Glad to see someone gettin into it.

Couldn't agree more haha. I can't think about anything else

Back