Toothy Critter Success Thread

It sucks loosing a fly especially 1 that's "greasy" and has caught musky before. But it still better than trashing a fly line.

I was lucky enough to only loose a couple feet of the running line but I have seen people lose way more than just the first couple feet.

How do you guys store your bigger flies? I don't have a big enough fly box that will fit the longer flies

zfisher wrote:
How do you guys store your bigger flies? I don't have a big enough fly box that will fit the longer flies

I made a couple of these and love em so far.

I use a Artbin box with foam. The Box is larger than umpqua and cliff boxes but 25 dollars cheaper

I'll make an attempt at one of those. Shouldn't be to hard.

Save the time and money, go to walmart get a deep plano box. Thats what i carry it dont matter foam and flys staying still.
pDSP1-7239359p275w.jpg

I have a couple Walmart Plano boxes. I am not a fan. Two reasons 1. flies get clumped together. 2. Bulk if you have more than one box. All prefence

I got a bunch of Plano type boxes at basspro. You can use art in boxes and other cases. I think orvis makes a big box too. I've found either way as long as you can get them to the stream what's it matter. Ne'er had to worry about the flies tangling up on each other

I got out to the Susquehanna for the first time with my 10 weight today. I caught the skunk as I expected but did have some action.
The fly I was using was a maribou and bucktail base with flashabou. The third or fourth cast I threw it out to a break in the surface which I presume was a rock. Right as the fly went by the rock I saw a biggish splash were my fly would have been. I attempted setting the hook but it was too late. I had fun and learned alot even though I went fishless. Pumped for spring now though.

If ya don't strip set these things. Ya have hardly no chance of hooking em. Strip sets are manditory.

Yeah. Lesson learned for next time. The fly I was using only had one hook so maybe I'll tie up some more tandems.

Well I have officially taken my musky game to the next level. I have not received it yet but it is ordered and should be here in the next couple of weeks. I have taken the plunge and got a boat. It is a shallow water skiff made by a drift boat company called Hog Island. I will be able to cover much more water and much more efficiently. If I wasn't already a musky freak I pretty much have just gone to about an 11 on a scale of 10. I'm pretty stoked.

Very cool...congrats! You're definitely screwed now.

My gf's dad inherited an old boat that's been behind his shed for about a decade. I filed the paperwork last fall, but we never got to take it swimming. Hoping the local lake warms up sooner than later!

I'm pretty stoked too..... If I'm lucky I might be able to hitch a ride or two.

Congrats on the boat. I want to get on the oars of a hog island drift boat.

That boat looks perfect. I'll be very interested to hear more about this.

First time looking through these threads. WOW. I think i may have to ditch trout fishing for a while. The flies are amazing and the fish breath taking. I know a few spots that I think would hold musky. Are most of your flies top water?

WHen are you guys going to open up a guide business. I'd sign up. ;)

Mike 99% of our fish are caught underneath most of the flies are streamers. I have actually only had one hookup on a topwater and got bit off. Paco has landed a pike. We have more confidence in the underneath stuff but we have sorta made it a mission this year to give topwater a better chance this year.

Thanks Mike R. I have all hut givin up on other fly rod fish. Nothing can match the take, true violence.

I had a couple of musky chase topwater this past summer. And had 1 mid 30s crash a popper. But the hook sets are tuff. The fast twitch streamer hook set is your enemy.

Back