The Rumble on the River!

Its a win win for me if you guys tap out I'll just go after bigger nastier fish. AKA The Northern Snakehead :pint:

I didn't go through all the posts, but if it hasn't been advised, please use barbless hooks.

Since all size bass are being counted, keep in mind that small, young bass are susceptible to severe damage from barbed hooks. Please consider that those are the stock that will reach somewhat decent size three to four years' from now.

Also consider that the relentless heavy rains most likely have pretty well upset spawning this year, so I would expect a pretty good pop. slump several years from now.

I second that on the barbless hooks.

Drove over the river just a few minutes ago. Dropping and surprisingly clean looking in spite of the heavy rains. By late in the week, she might be clear which would be amazing.

A lot of ideas. How 'bout the KISS system since we're not accountants...measuring all fish and point system for each is a little crazy.

Smallies only...not interested in fishing for fallfish or catfish, and fly-fishing only (Andy and Surf have to surrender their spin equipment at the launch).

The category system below blend all the ideas in past posts, and no need to measure unless fish are 15" or greater, also no point system needed.

Most fish means something, as well as bigger fish, and the biggest fish.

Winner judged by winning two or more categories:

1. Most smallies any size - so numbers count

2. Most smallies 15" or greater - so bigger fish count

3. Biggest smallie - so hunting for a slammer is in play too

This way you won't just fish for numbers or only focus on big fish...both are equally important. It keeps everyone on their toes.

Should be fun.

Hopefully the River Gods see fit to hold off on unleashing another monsoon.

afishinado wrote:
A lot of ideas. How 'bout the KISS system since we're not accountants...measuring all fish and point system for each is a little crazy.

Smallies only...not interested in fishing for fallfish or catfish, and fly-fishing only (Andy and Surf have to surrender their spin equipment at the launch).

The category system below blend all the ideas in past posts, and no need to measure unless fish are 15" or greater, also no point system needed.

Most fish means something, as well as bigger fish, and the biggest fish.

Winner judged by winning two or more categories:

1. Most smallies any size - so numbers count

2. Most smallies 15" or greater - so bigger fish count

3. Biggest smallie - so hunting for a slammer is in play too

This way you won't just fish for numbers or only focus on big fish...both are equally important. It keeps everyone on their toes.

Should be fun.

Hopefully the River Gods see fit to hold off on unleashing another monsoon.

I like this scoring system . Anyone got something we can use as a scoring sheet

You're probably not going to be able to determine the biggest fish without measuring all of the big ones, you know. So, using 15" as the threshold for measuring fish makes sense, but you're going to wind up measuring all the ones larger than that anyway, really.

So, as a hybrid scoring system, 15" and under=1 point, 16-18"=2 points, and 18-20"=3 points. over 20" is 5 points.

They are getting a little rain out that way right now and are supposed to have around .3" of rain Thursday and Friday from scattered thunderstorms. If they only get the .3", we'll be fine.

bringing my measuring device

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0475/7681/products/yellow600x190ish_grande.jpeg?v=1405629235

Fredrick wrote:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0475/7681/products/yellow600x190ish_grande.jpeg?v=1405629235

Dave W will be there to make sure you use the top one!!! &#8595
:roll:

Attachments

• The top one...Fred!.jpg
    The top one...Fred!.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 5
The river is coming down pretty quick. Let's hope clarity improves too.

We'll soon settle on a scoring method - should keep it simple - if contestants can't agree, I'll make a final decision on scoring method. Can continue to discuss in the meantime.

Saturday could be time to rumble!

Location remains classified and rules in flux...but the stakes remain high and the teams are ready to get this thing settled once and for all. :cool:

Whatever scoring method you use should make sure to give preference to truly large fish. There is a world of difference between a 19" fish and a 16" fish and a 10" fish. There is also a corresponding difference in both how many of each are available and their sophistication. It would be pretty silly for one boat to catch a pair of 19" fish and be outscored by a boat that landed a dozen 10" fish. I wouldn't want to win with a boat full of hammer handles if the other boat caught a handful of bruisers.

So.... Tom and I boat 87 fish between 10" - 17". You and Fred catch 3 fish (11", 13" and 18"). You win?!?! That doesn't determine the best fishermen. It would indicate the guy that got lucky, didn't adapt or wasted 95% of his time chasing "the one". If the water clears up, I'd expect this particular section of river to give up 25 fish (or more) over 15" with valid chances at several 19" - 20" bass.

Tom, we'll take my boat. Don't want you to beat yours up out here in the rocks fields. You row early and I'll take on when it becomes 24/7 rowing. Wade fishing is also an opportunity in just over 1000 spots. I'll need a photo of Fred up to his neck just like the surf fishing pic. LOL

krayfish2 wrote:
So.... Tom and I boat 87 fish between 10" - 17". You and Fred catch 3 fish (11", 13" and 18"). You win?!?! That doesn't determine the best fishermen. It would indicate the guy that got lucky, didn't adapt or wasted 95% of his time chasing "the one". If the water clears up, I'd expect this particular section of river to give up 25 fish (or more) over 15" with valid chances at several 19" - 20" bass.

Tom, we'll take my boat. Don't want you to beat yours up out here in the rocks fields. You row early and I'll take on when it becomes 24/7 rowing. Wade fishing is also an opportunity in just over 1000 spots. I'll need a photo of Fred up to his neck just like the surf fishing pic. LOL

You'll just see my rod bent out of the water Andy I have a snorkel now . I kind of like the fact that I will be meeting you in person for the first time and you will be buying me beer .

afishinado wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

Dave W will be there to make sure you use the top one!!! &#8595
:roll:

Those aren't long enough Tom

A Friend of mine that lives on the river stated he seen a not very tall man dressed head to toe in orvis tweed placing something weird in several locations on the river last night . My friend stated after the not very tall man in a drift boat left the area he went to go investigate. After searching the area he found this two laundry baskets zipped tied together filled with bass . :-o

Attachments

• Tweeds Dirty Laundry.jpg
    Tweeds Dirty Laundry.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 3
Fred,

I think you are misreading your foolishness as confidence. A guy juggling running chainsaws did that.....once.

And..... height jokes from one of the shortest guys on the forum. Love it. LOL. 3 of the 4 involved have to raise an arm to reach 5'7". LMAO

krayfish2 wrote:
Fred,

I think you are misreading your foolishness as confidence. A guy juggling running chainsaws did that.....once.

And..... height jokes from one of the shortest guys on the forum. Love it. LOL. 3 of the 4 involved have to raise an arm to reach 5'7". LMAO

The Rumble of the Midgets (and Derek)... :oops:

"So.... Tom and I boat 87 fish between 10" - 17". You and Fred catch 3 fish (11", 13" and 18"). You win?!?! That doesn't determine the best fishermen. It would indicate the guy that got lucky, didn't adapt or wasted 95% of his time chasing "the one"."

Under my scoring system, you would defeat us 87+ to 5 were that the case.

Now, say you catch 40 around 10" (40pts) and 15 around 16" (45pts). That would be 85 points.

But, say we catch 20 around 10"(20pts), but 25 around 16" (75pts) and another two whoppers at 19-20" (10pts). That would be fewer fish overall, but 105 points, and I'd suggest the result would be correct--the team that caught the most good bass wins on points.

If you count every fish as the same, then a 10" fish is somehow equal to a 20" fish. That's just silly. Have three scoring points based on length (1,3, & 5 point scale), and make the lengths meaningful, like 10", 15", and 18". 10-15" = 1 point/15.1"-18" = 3 points/>18" = 5 points.

Gulliver's Travels down the Susquehanna...

krayfish2 wrote:
Fred,

I guess you will find out on Saturday which one it is

Attachments

• Sweat Victory.png
    Sweat Victory.png
    96 KB · Views: 4
Back