The Rumble on the River!

A couple things, since Team Tweed wants to talk trash:

Team Tweed would only fish this one stretch of water, period. I offered up numerous stretches on different rivers that probably would have fished better (this stretch wasn't exactly loaded with fish over 15", as you can see in the scoring). Poor Dave only found 4 the whole day, and it's not as if he doesn't know what he's doing.

Of course, I had never fished this stretch before. It was OK, though, because the river is only a mile or more wide there, so it wasn't as if I had a lot of potential water to figure out in order to find fish (most of which was totally barren after the cold front passed). As it turns out, this section was selected because Team Tweed had "fished this stretch since the 80's", and had "a couple of good spots I want to hit, so I'm just going to row the first mile or so". If I'd had any sense, I'd have shadowed Team Tweed and low-holed them a few times. Instead, I thought it most sporting to row off and find my own way.

As it turned out, I spent 80% of my day rowing, because unless you know exactly what the Hell you're doing on that stretch in a hard boat, you aren't going to like what happens to your boat. In other words, there's no damn water there. We hit twice and dragged a half-dozen more times, and I was handling the boat well. It is water best suited to a kayak or canoe, which is why we mostly saw kayaks and canoes and the occasional jet boat stranded on a ledge.

Fred up and broke his popper rod about 2 hours in and was basically clusterf$%&d until about 3 pm, when he finally caught a fish >15". He fished effectively for maybe 2-2.5 hours total. So, for about 5 of the 7 hours we fished, I was rowing a boat with practically no partner. Before that, he had leader problems, fly problems, and just about every other handicap imaginable (including mental). Fred is not a fan of driftboat fishing, as it turns out. He probably could have been more effective from a kayak, as crazy as that might sound.

The two times we got to water deep enough for Fred to take the oars for a while, however, I caught a 17.75" and a 16.5". I probably was able to cast for a little over 90 minutes total. I felt like I had a Hell of a day, considering how little I actually got to fish relative to Tweed. Had I been able to cast as much as Tweed, I'm pretty sure this score would have looked somewhat different even accounting for the norovirus attack suffered by Team Tweed (Kray had to row as much as me--his boat drafts another couple inches more than does mine--he could only do so much with a fly rod in hand).

So, Team Tweed is really just bragging that they were able to outfish pretty much one guy having rowing a boat constantly on a stretch of water they've fished for 30+ years by 4 points, all of which amounted to 4 extra fish too small to use for striper bait. Congrats on a resounding victory.

But Team Tweed won on points, and that's really the only way you win. That said, I'd still rather have my day, with two fish over 16.5" than to have traded those two in on a half-dozen dinks to score points. I actually caught a few fish that were worth photographing. There is a reason I insisted upon a scoring system that gave extra points for bigger fish.

And I haven't welched on anything, so you can take your meme and chum with it on a stretch of water you have fished hundreds of times. Once you tell me the beer you'd like, I will place it in a location that I have known for 30 years and that you have yet to visit, and I will see how long it takes you to find it. Or I will bring it to you at the Tweed Shop, whichever you think is most fair to you.

There may be enough time left in the summer for a rematch. If not, we can take this beef to the Upper Delaware River in the Fall, where, although I may not have fished it nearly as much as Kray, I have at least been there before and floated a few of the stretches I know he likes. I like our chances better already.

Moral of the Story: Don't agree to a fishing competition on water that one of the competitors grew up fishing. Next year, we should do the New River.

Hey Derek, I've never fished that section of river before. Sorry we took up all the secret spots.

Funny, everywhere I looked there was a great cover > weeds, rocks, logs overhanging trees and bushes, as well as structure > boulders, shelfs, channels, slots, undercuts, current breaks.

Just about every cast was to a great looking holding area......sorry you guys couldn't find any decent spots to fish.

Next time we get out, I'll be sure to point out the places where the bass are likely to hold. If you can manage to get a decent cast into there, I'm sure you'll have some luck.

afishinado wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
I still think that we should of made a no chumming rule . I have accepted my L but I firmly believe that if not for my equipment issues it could of been a different out come . Love to make the rumble a best out of three for a full case of beer . And Dave can you post or txt my group photo with the ladies .

Hey Fred,

Just try to put your rod outfit back in it's bister pack as best you can, and bring it back here.

Tom was all tweeded up yesterday it would of made this guy jealous

a-man-goes-fly-fishing-in-traditional-tweed-c8hcpx.jpg

And Dave can you post or txt my group photo with the ladies .

Here yuh go...

Incidentally, as this pic shows, the local ladies were in reality intrigued about the snake and we explained that it was a common water snake, and that this species ate fish, etc. Actually very educational you see. :)

However, it's a good thing that Fredrick didn't manage to steal the girl's cheater stick...as he no doubt would have busted that too. :roll:

Attachments

• F89.jpg
    F89.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 6
Derek,
I spent most of the time rowing too as I didn't want Tom to be zig zagging and panic stricken about bumping a rock. If you would have stayed to the east side, you could have both fished while drifting. Not much to hit and deeper over there. I have fished it on foot for 30 years and only from where we took out to the statue. Only been floating tis section for a few years.

Fred,
Chumming would have only helped if we were after other junk species (like snakeheads) so no harm done. LOL

I owe Tom a big apology. I actually think I had massive dehydration that caused me to get really sick. The yak was self induced. Drank 4 bottles of water when I got home and didn't pee more than a cup of iced tea looking stuff this morning. Had 8 more bottles today and have returned to semi-normal which is normal for me.

FWIW, took the nephews on the same float this morning. They used their cheater rods and also struggled. I did manage a 17"+ bass on a fly rod / popper but it was slow again. Saw several yaks, a guide in a raft and a couple of bass boats. Never saw another fish hooked other that what we were catching. Strange couple of days out there. Did talk to 2 boats that had fished up above yesterday and came down river because the fishing was so poor. Go figure.

Stop trying to down play it Dave the ladies were very enchanted by my snakes . -at one point they were touching my snake and asking for photos with me and my snake

Andy you should learn to respect snakeheads as they will be in your backyard in three years . And I highly doubt they would consider your chum line as table fare .

" If you would have stayed to the east side, you could have both fished while drifting. Not much to hit and deeper over there. I have fished it on foot for 30 years and only from where we took out to the statue. Only been floating tis section for a few years."

See!! Now that's the kind of information that would have left some gelcoat on my hull! We were over on the East side for a couple hours, but further upstream from where you went. It began to get more and more dicey once we got about a mile or so below the one big creek. Once we got into all the islands, I figured to weave in between them in order to get the most shots at the most structure. But that required nearly constant rowing.

It wasn't terrible. I was being intentionally facetious in my post. Just trying to put Tweed in his spot. He's the only guy I know, who after catching the 4th biggest fish in a 4-man competition, would brag about the accomplishment. Had Fred used a better leader (and a better line, and a better rod), he probably wouldn't have lost the half-dozen fish he did (at least one, and maybe two, of which were >15". You guys were lucky that he was "snakebit". I didn't even know that had happened. If I had seen it, I'd have rooted for the snake.

All told, though, I would not recommend hard boats on that drift with any less water. I did meet a guy at a kid's birthday party yesterday who grew up in Marysville and is very familiar with that stretch. He described an area to me that he swore was very productive, and I'm guessing that's where you were talking about there actually being water. Even so, we'd have either had to fish behind you or low-hole you, and that's no fun.

And I'm lucky I didn't get dehydrated in retrospect. I had a bottle of coconut water and a bottle of Deer Park as soon as we started in order to hydrate as much as I could, but yesterday I could tell just how much it took out of us. I must have drank 2 gallons of water and an additional half-dozen beers and maybe peed twice.

And I should've put on sunscreen. I didn't burn, but I tanned way too much. I look Samoan now. I'm surprised Fred didn't burst into flames.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
A couple things, since Team Tweed wants to talk trash:

Team Tweed would only fish this one stretch of water, period. I offered up numerous stretches on different rivers that probably would have fished better (this stretch wasn't exactly loaded with fish over 15", as you can see in the scoring). Poor Dave only found 4 the whole day, and it's not as if he doesn't know what he's doing.

Of course, I had never fished this stretch before. It was OK, though, because the river is only a mile or more wide there, so it wasn't as if I had a lot of potential water to figure out in order to find fish (most of which was totally barren after the cold front passed). As it turns out, this section was selected because Team Tweed had "fished this stretch since the 80's", and had "a couple of good spots I want to hit, so I'm just going to row the first mile or so". If I'd had any sense, I'd have shadowed Team Tweed and low-holed them a few times. Instead, I thought it most sporting to row off and find my own way.

As it turned out, I spent 80% of my day rowing, because unless you know exactly what the Hell you're doing on that stretch in a hard boat, you aren't going to like what happens to your boat. In other words, there's no damn water there. We hit twice and dragged a half-dozen more times, and I was handling the boat well. It is water best suited to a kayak or canoe, which is why we mostly saw kayaks and canoes and the occasional jet boat stranded on a ledge.

Fred up and broke his popper rod about 2 hours in and was basically clusterf$%&d until about 3 pm, when he finally caught a fish >15". He fished effectively for maybe 2-2.5 hours total. So, for about 5 of the 7 hours we fished, I was rowing a boat with practically no partner. Before that, he had leader problems, fly problems, and just about every other handicap imaginable (including mental). Fred is not a fan of driftboat fishing, as it turns out. He probably could have been more effective from a kayak, as crazy as that might sound.

The two times we got to water deep enough for Fred to take the oars for a while, however, I caught a 17.75" and a 16.5". I probably was able to cast for a little over 90 minutes total. I felt like I had a Hell of a day, considering how little I actually got to fish relative to Tweed. Had I been able to cast as much as Tweed, I'm pretty sure this score would have looked somewhat different even accounting for the norovirus attack suffered by Team Tweed (Kray had to row as much as me--his boat drafts another couple inches more than does mine--he could only do so much with a fly rod in hand).

So, Team Tweed is really just bragging that they were able to outfish pretty much one guy having rowing a boat constantly on a stretch of water they've fished for 30+ years by 4 points, all of which amounted to 4 extra fish too small to use for striper bait. Congrats on a resounding victory.

But Team Tweed won on points, and that's really the only way you win. That said, I'd still rather have my day, with two fish over 16.5" than to have traded those two in on a half-dozen dinks to score points. I actually caught a few fish that were worth photographing. There is a reason I insisted upon a scoring system that gave extra points for bigger fish.

And I haven't welched on anything, so you can take your meme and chum with it on a stretch of water you have fished hundreds of times. Once you tell me the beer you'd like, I will place it in a location that I have known for 30 years and that you have yet to visit, and I will see how long it takes you to find it. Or I will bring it to you at the Tweed Shop, whichever you think is most fair to you.

There may be enough time left in the summer for a rematch. If not, we can take this beef to the Upper Delaware River in the Fall, where, although I may not have fished it nearly as much as Kray, I have at least been there before and floated a few of the stretches I know he likes. I like our chances better already.

I THINK I FOUND PCRAY!

A good stretch of river, but only for a very experienced rower not afraid to bang around a little here and there.

The cover, structure and flow are all excellent, some of the greatest smallie habitat you'll ever see in that stretch of river.

It was fun. Maybe not so much for Andy for an hour or so, but I'm sure he back on Pottsville's Finest and none the worse for wear.

Hopefully the monsoon season is winding down and the river levels will creep down to normal levels for some good late summer/early fall smallie fishing.

"A good stretch of river, but only for a very experienced rower not afraid to bang around a little here and there."

Kray banged twice and dragged a bunch as well, and he knows that water. Water levels and ledges don't care how experienced you are. If that water was 2" lower, we'd have had to walk a mile of that float. That section is best for a canoe or kayak. The flow is meh, not excellent. Almost decent in spots but lakish in others. Lots of frog water. The good thing about it was as Kray said, you're going to bang into a lot of stuff, but you're only barely moving, so you won't tear anything up or crack your hull. Nowhere is there significant moving water, and while the habitat looks good (it's textbook), I think by this time in the year the fish migrate a bit, and start taking up some places that don't look textbook. I caught both of my big fish from potholes, not from any obvious structure. It's a decent float, and probably a lot better from a boat that only drafts an inch or two. It's probably good water to wade, especially once the river gets to its normal level for this time of year.

Let's put it this way--I had always wanted to check that water out, because I had never fished it, and it looks textbook. Now that I have, I don't think I'll be doing that float again, even in a canoe. There is just a lot better water for big smallies than that stretch for me to fish. I'm not out there to catch 12" fish, when there are 18" fish to be caught. We didn't spook a big fish the entire float, which is rare, to say the least. We spooked one fish around 10" late in the day, and a fair number of carp. Usually, regardless of how many you catch, you usually run over dozens of fish and spook a few that make you curse a little.

It was fun to fish new water though, and it was fun to drink a bunch of beer in a boat on a sunny day. And it was fun to catch a couple big fish on topwater flies. We will do it again. What needs to happen, though, is for Kray to come with me in my boat, and we'll fish one of my sections. That way we can take turns

"I THINK I FOUND PCRAY!"--I think you're high. What does that even mean? Do you think there is only one educated and literate person on this forum? (thinks it over...) OK. I see your point. I'll dumb it down a hair: Tweed is short. And so is Fred. And it ain't like Kray's gonna play power forward for the Sixers this season... To bastardize a quote from Caddyshack:

Tweed: How many fish did you catch today, Surf?

Surf: Oh, I don't keep count, Tweed.

Tweed: Then how do you compare yourself against other fly-fishermen?

Surf: By height.

I've fished the Susky in many spots starting from Great Bend (PA/NY border) down to the Conowingo, just below the PA border in MD.

It's all great! Some areas have alotta big fish, some have lotsa fish, and the real special areas have both!

We are lucky to have such a river to fish in PA. Let's keep the pressure on the powers-that-be to take care of it.

Again, hopefully the weather has turned and the river will get down to a decent level for late summer / early fall fishing.

So, regardless of your height, weight, age, or intelligence (the smallies don't care)....just pick some water that looks good to you and have at it. You won't be disappointed!

Surf,

I think I did tap ledge once and hit a phantom rock another time. It is technical rowing. The flow was around 12k. I've done it at 6.5k, in a hard boat and it sucked majorly. I think your judgement on the quality of fish is premature thought. Fishwagen, DaveS, Mkerr and Stimey have done that float as well as floats of sections between Selinsgrove to Duncannon. They were shocked with the number of fish and the number of big fish. They were in there last summer in half the flow. I really think you picked the wrong line and wouldn't have gone down that side unless we had 18-20k in the river. You didn't ask for help and figured you'd just stay close for convo and razzing.

Fred was done once the Mennonite gal allowed him to peek under her headcover

6.5K is insane from a hard boat. I bet 6.5K is a b#$#h in a canoe. I might be wrong about the quality of the fish there (it's happened before), but I am particularly good at sighting fish, and I was dumbstruck by how few I saw. Even if I took the wrong line, I should have seen more fish. I mean, it wasn't AWFUL or anything. We caught better than 40 fish between boats on what was widely considered to be an abnormally slow day, so I can see twice as much going down under ideal circumstances. I'm thinking it may be a combination of circumstances including (1) cold front had passed through just hours prior to our fishing; (2) lower dissolved oxygen in that stretch may have caused fish to migrate a bit up or downstream; and (3) that stretch quite obviously sees a ton of pressure from both fly and conventional fishermen. I will give one of my stretches (more water, fewer fishermen) a heat check this coming weekend and see if I'm right.

Back