The Rumble on the River!

I still think all other species (including largemouths) should be minimal for points.

The most likely non-SMB catches will be fallfish and channel cats. A musky would be possible, but unlikely. Let's drop fallfish completely.

Lets keep the 12 inch minumum for other species and go with this:

~ All other species 12+" will be 1 POINT
~ A muskellunge over 12" will be 5 POINTS

I don't think we've boated 2 chubs in the last 3 years so they aren't many in the section I suggested. Mostly bass with a 5% chance of Mr. Whiskers, 1% chance of walleye and 1% chance of musky.

I have an official measuring board from FUDR one bug. Think it goes to 24". We catch as bass bigger than that, we row out. Lol.

krayfish2 wrote:

As for a 3rd row observer, where are we finding that [d]fool[/d] volunteer? My nephew would go but he'll snatch every fish he can with his spin gear and that would only hurt our teams numbers. On top of that, I'm old and lazy. Don't want to cart around an extra 200 pounds in the dingy.

I'd do it for free beer, as long as it didn't come from SurfCowboys list, and I didn't have to wear skinny jeans or sport a man bun.

Unfortunately I live a long ways away, and weigh just a tad more than 200.;-)

Lets go with the kiss system and lets just count bass over 15" if not everyone in my boat will be to busy counting my catches :lol:

Tom G do you even fish bro ?

Just ordered a 15'8" spey rod and 20 different scandi/Skagit/mow tips so that I'll be able to snap T my wiggle nymph over 400'. If I hook one that far away, any chance you'll net it for me? LMAO.

I'll have a crappy rod loaded with a crappy sink tip as well as a different crappy rod rigged with an even crappier floating line. All I need is a couple flies, a casting lesson and some luck. Doubt I'll boat more than 4-5 fish. I could just leave a 12 pack at the ramp for you and head home to cut the lawn.

Tom is kinda silent which would have me worried if I were you guys.

+1 on measuring only big fish. I'll vote for 17" and up for measuring.

I honestly don't see any reason to award points for catfish. The ability to take that sucker home and fry it up should be reward enough. I do like the simpler scoring idea, though. 1 point for bass under 15", 3 points for 15-17", etc... we can iron that out.

The fact that your nephew will snatch fish with spin gear really shouldn't be an issue--you'll probably be rowing, anyway, so if he's in the stern, it's not as if he's going to be costing you fish.

I think I can find at least one person who doesn't weigh too much to act as a third on our boat. Because you have Tom, you shouldn't be too worried about weight--anyone under 200 should be almost unnoticeable in your boat.

And FarmerDave-I'll drink Miller High Life too, but I'm not going to let these guys get off with buying cheap beer like that. I don't like all the IPA BS--those beers are hopped on a dare, I think, and are more for the skinny jeans and manbun crowd (I don't wear jeans ever, and my hair has been high and tight for nigh on 20 years). And I don't see any need for a heavy lager or ale for a summer day on the water. Hence the more refreshing brews.

We could just make it for a bottle of Blanton's bourbon (or Woodford, or something similarly tasty).

And FarmerDave-I'll drink Miller High Life too, but I'm not going to let these guys get off with buying cheap beer like that. I don't like all the IPA BS--those beers are hopped on a dare, I think, and are more for the skinny jeans and manbun crowd (I don't wear jeans ever, and my hair has been high and tight for nigh on 20 years). And I don't see any need for a heavy lager or ale for a summer day on the water. Hence the more refreshing brews.

We could just make it for a bottle of Blanton's bourbon (or Woodford, or something similarly tasty).

Good save!

Can't say I am a fan of Miller High Life, but I certainly wouldn't turn down a free one.

Come on Dave,you know your hand is permanently frozen in a cup shape the exactly hold a FREE BEER. GG

In all honesty, sitting in a drift boat drinking a beer on a nice day is a pretty nice way to be, whether you're fishing or not.

Very true, surf.

When I was about to graduate college, I told some of my classmates at Pitt that when they are sitting there in the civic arena waiting to stand up when their class is announce, that I would be sitting along some river with a fishing pole in one hand, and a beer in the other.

I did EXACTLY that, and my mother never forgave me.

BTW, it was a Miller High Life. "Champagne of beers.";-)

Regarding section to float, I tend to agree that a shorter section would be better and allow for more fishing and less rowing.

Perhaps the section from Halifax down to Clemson Isl(?). This is about three miles or so. I've not floated that section however, but it might make for a nice half-day trip.

Any thoughts Krayfish?

Any progress on dates? If the rains hold off, conditions should be perfect next weekend (19-20th).

Dave_W wrote:
Regarding section to float, I tend to agree that a shorter section would be better and allow for more fishing and less rowing.

Perhaps the section from Halifax down to Clemson Isl(?). This is about three miles or so. I've not floated that section however, but it might make for a nice half-day trip.

Any thoughts Krayfish?

Any progress on dates? If the rains hold off, conditions should be perfect next weekend (19-20th).

I'm for getting this beat-down over with quickly.

The River is finally down to a decent level and I'm on vacation next week and have a rare weekend off on both Saturday the 19th and Sunday the 20th.

The monsoon season may still not be over, so if those dates work...let's do it!

Kray and I have settled on a decent stretch of river near Duncannon (the precise location of the drift should be kept secret until after the Rumble).

Conditions may be perfect next weekend, but we may face 2 problems: first, Fred may not be able to make himself available; second, I may be unavailable (but this is unconfirmed).

Andy & Dave W,

Fred and Derek are both probable for Saturday the 19th. They will be able to confirm on Monday.

What say you?

Looks like I can do it.

If I attend, I'd likely just meet and greet at the put in and take out...but might tag along in my canoe.

Wouldn't want to get in the way of any beat-down yuh know. Gonna be rough. :cool:

Unless something crazy happens I'm in for Saturday rain or shine . I was hitting the rowing machine all last week at crossfit so I'm ready

Looks like the river will blow up over the next 3-5 days. Enough with the rain already!!

Heading in the right direction, but rain later in the week may blow it out. Just have to wait and see.

Attachments

• H-burg.jpg
    H-burg.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 5
If I go fishing Saturday, I believe the girlfriend will leave me. Here's hoping and I'm in pending decent conditions. At least 2' of visibility would be nice for a change.

Back