The Official Spring Jamboree May 16-18, 2014 Announcement

Well, yeah, school wide graduations are like that. Like I said, I skipped em too, both as an undergrad and grad student. The department graduations are a bit different, you kind of are expected to be there. For undergrad it was a little ceremony, for grad school, it's the reception after the thesis defense, where you individually are the guest of honor.

After grad school, I did screw up when I started working. I defended on December 15. Put off starting work till early January, just to have a little time off to enjoy the holidays and then move. But, low and behold, for vacation and such, seniority goes by how many New Year's you've been employed for. So if I had chose to start on December 31st, on Jan 2 I'd have been starting my 2nd year. Not only that, but we get an extra week vacation going from 0 to 1 years seniority. So I could have actually "officially" started on Dec 31, taken it as vacation, then taken the whole week after as vacation, and started when I started anyway. I'd have gotten the same amount of vacation the rest of that year, paid for an extra 6 days of "work", and every year through retirement I'd hit all those milestones a year earlier.

Oops. Best to figure out all those details BEFORE you start, lol. I was in the first wave of new hires for a long time, and we've had several waves since. I and the rest of the first group saw to it that new hires had this explained to them before choosing a start date. Not a good way to start, feeling like you got cheated out of something important because you weren't told. They just never thought of it.

Not to keep the subject changed, but I didn't go undergrad because I didn't care since I knew I was going to law school. But I did go for law school, a mere 185 or so of us and I was wearing colors and my Dad and some other family came down to celebrate, so I did it. They didn't let me speak at the ceremony however.

Back to the Jam:

My buddy Mark, "buonie," wants to go again, but I haven't made proper lodging arrangements. We may buy the pad next to the pavilion again and entertain you with the ritual of "setting up the tents."

And this year, I hope we will have a short period of "open mic." My thoughts are a joke-offf, music, and political diatribes, along with fly fishing philosophy and fly tying poetry.

I am the first in my family to graduate from college. I went to graduation because it was a big deal to my parents and grandparents. I couldn't have cared less, and was planning on not going until hearing their disappointment.

i didn't go. i went fishing instead.

if you go to my mum n dads house they have a wall with the grad pictures of my two older sisters and BiL (from Sandhurst) all lined up nice, and then a (later) pic of me about to punch a big D loop out on a spey rod on the river for Salmon.

as Red said " the choices we make define our whole lives".

I just passd my CTFA this week, i'm celebrating tonight with a couple of hours on White Clay Creek...nothing changed in 25 years i guess...

I went directly from the graduation ceremony to a small stream that helped me make it through some rough classes. Then I spent the evening tying flies.

Can't wait for the jam! Are we allowed to bring firewood or does the campground discourage that? Any other cigar enthusiasts out there?

We have not had a problem with the CG insisting we buy wood from them. Make sure it is good wood not from out-of-state or otherwise inappropriate. That said, the CG has been very fair and even generous in supplying what we need at a reasonable price, so there is no need to go through any serious inconvenience to haul wood up there. A couple bundles would be more than a fair share if you want to contribute, however.

I hope none of you guys mind if a guy that's to the site comes to tag along. I'm going to try and bring my cousin's 14 year old son with me. He just got a fly rod for his birthday last year and is loving it so far! Looking forward to a fun weekend with everyone and making some new friends.

Are you kidding? You & your cousins son are more than welcome. You'll get a chance to fish, have some really good discussions about fishing, places to fish, and everything in between with a lot of like minded people. It is a blast, and welcome aboard the forum. Look forward to hearing from ya.
Jack

Regarding the wood,

While you are welcome to make your own fire every night, realistically, you probably don't even need to build your own. From late week prior to early week after, there are enough jammers around that everyone seems to gather around 1 campfire. On Friday and Saturday evenings, there are enough people there that the 1 campfire takes place at the pavilion.

You'd be better off just ponying up for a bundle from the CG, use it if necessary and if not add it to the firewood kitty.

Thanks Jack. I won't arrive until Friday afternoon but, I'm looking foward to spending a fair amount of time on the Little J and Penns to get a chance to learn those streams some more. Can't wait for May to get here!

Good luck, I've been going to the jam for a few years and Penns has only been in decent shape once. I hope it is fishable though.

Oh lordy...don't tell me THATGUY is coming....sheesh!

Thats usually what I hear when I approach the pavillion.

:-D

Yes,that's him. GG :p :pint:

Welcome aboard, ThatGuy.

Maurice wrote:
Oh lordy...don't tell me THATGUY is coming....sheesh!

Thats usually what I hear when I approach the pavillion.

:-D

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. Glad I didn't post it though.;-)

Is it too late to start making plans to attend this?

Murph, not at all. You can still come. I would contact the campground asap though. Cabins are probably all booked at this point but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm sure they have tent sites still available. It's a pretty casual event. Just show up and you will run into someone that you can fish (or drink) with.

Murph wrote:

Delta Dog & I will be there Sunday to Sunday.

You have friends..... ;-)

Murph wrote:

Never too late, two years ago I just showed up Saturday night and started bs'n come on down, or over, up, whatever it is. Keep an eye out for openings in cabins sometimes people have to bail. Post up you need a bunk if you find you can't get one.

Back