The Official Spring Jamboree May 16-18, 2014 Announcement

Dog, I see he failed to mention the half gallon of milk he used back at camp to put out the fire in his gut!

Lol.....yes he did and he was up multiple times that night trying to put the fire out. :lol:

All this talk makes it seem like it's gonna be a pretty boring time. I might have to come up early on Thursday or maybe even Wednesday just to be sure. Since it's my first time. LOL

I had a question being a newb. Is it worth it to schlep my mountain bike up. I mostly want to fish and am not looking at doing any real riding. But I am mobility impaired when it comes to walking long distances. I am not an invalid by any stretch of the imagination it's just hard for me to walk long distances. So if there are places with good even trails were I could ride that would be cool. But if all there are is rough, steep trails then it won't be worth the effort to pack the bike. And I always have fun and can do enough walking to get away from the crowds right by the cars. So it's all good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Haligator, the place a bike is most worthwhile is Penns at Poe Paddy. And for a while it was real nice to have a bike there. A hiking/biking trail goes through the tunnel at Poe Paddy and parallels the stream all the way down to Cherry Run. A bike made it easy in/easy out to the middle of that area.

But the tunnel is currently closed. So to access it from Poe Paddy, you have to go over a fairly steep mountain spur to get to the trail. I'd think the hassle of lugging a bike over would be more than the hassle you're saving once on the other side. And keep in mind you'd most likely have to lug it back over to the car side, at night.

A bike would still be nice if parking at the Cherry Run end, but that's a 1+ hour drive, vs. 25 minutes for the Poe Paddy end. Again, I'd question the usefulness of spending an extra 30+ minutes on the road to save a little walking.

Another spot is Spring Creek, in the canyon. A bike would be nice in there.

Other than that, I think it's probably more hassle than it's worth. Anywhere you could use the bike, you could also use a car. For instance, Spring Creek below Paradise. Nice road for biking. But you can also drive it.

Hi Haligator,

Spring Creek from Benner Springs down to the Paradise and below is PERFECT for getting around on a mountain bike.

Some parts of the Little Juniata are good for it as well. There's roads running alongside both of those sections, but they're gated off to cars. I often see bikes along both sections, but you'd need some sort of lock system - especially on the J, as the stream is sometimes out of sight of the path/road.

I think it'd be a good choice to bring the bike....

And Ed,

I LOVE wings. Seriously, I'm like a connoisseur.

One of my dissapointments in life is when I moved to eastern PA, how much worse the wings are over here. You definitely have better beer, and generally better food too, but the wings aren't close.

But wings are not something where hotter = better. The quality of the wing itself, the oil used to fry it, and cooking to the appropriate doneness are the most important part. Sauces and seasonings are secondary but still important. Has to add taste and a bit of bite, but cannot overpower the "fried" taste of the wing itself.

Most of the time I prefer dry seasonings to sauces on wings. A well balanced sauce can be good, though, so long as it's not totally drenched in it.

pcray1231 wrote:

One of my dissapointments in life is when I moved to eastern PA, how much worse the wings are over here. You definitely have better beer, and generally better food too, but the wings aren't close.

Not true about the beer. Victory and Troegs are on the eastern half of the state. Name a western brewery that is better than either of those two...

Annheiser-Busch.

Just looked at this, moved from Illinois a month ago and getting back into FF. This seems like a good opportunity to learn, watch, meet some of you scoundrels, and............drink. Id be in for Friday night to Sunday via tentin' it.

Not too many scoundrels-- mostly good folk, looking for a good time-- and that it is....

JackM wrote:
Not too many scoundrels-- mostly good folk, looking for a good time-- and that it is....

Sounds like its some sort of two dudes one cat tea room affair.

Millsertime wrote:
pcray1231 wrote:

Not true about the beer. Victory and Troegs are on the eastern half of the state. Name a western brewery that is better than either of those two...

I believe pcray is stating that beer and food, in general, are better in eastern PA, with the exception of wings. As an eastern transplant, he is not including himself in the "You". Victory and/or Troegs nudge out ICB by a hair ;-)

gfen wrote:
JackM wrote:

Sounds like its some sort of two dudes one cat tea room affair.

Is it Seven Mountains or Brokeback Mountain?!? :-o

Depends on who's minivan you wake up in, I guess.

Not true about the beer. Victory and Troegs are on the eastern half of the state. Name a western brewery that is better than either of those two..

Millers, you misinterpreted. I'm a western PA guy, LIVING in eastern PA. My observations were as follows:

Eastern PA: Better beer and generally better food.
Western PA: Better wings.

Though to be fair, I live a few minutes from Victory and aren't all that impressed by them. I wasn't so much just talking about local breweries, but taste and options. There's a lot of dive joints in western PA that have like 3 beers, and all of them start with Coors or Miller. In Eastern PA even the dive bars have a few decent options.

I am not an IPA guy, though. I like beers with taste, but they still gotta be balanced, not just beat you over the head with hops.

Got it. My bad. Try Troegs Hopback Amber. Not too hoppy and has great flavor.

I'll bring a supply of North Country for folks to try, brewed right here in slippery rock pa!

Thanks a lot pcray1231 & Heritage-Angler,
I might think about bringing it up for Spring Creek. But I don't know that about getting to the Little J. And since I'm coming from Cleveland it's kind of a bother so it will probably end up staying home. Thanks again for the great input. It helped a lot.
Hal

Back