Sunglasses

Picked up a pair of magical sunglasses. It's amazing the difference they make. I no longer have to worry about drowning because I can't see where I'm wading. I figure these will last me a good 10 years or so at least so I feel good about the purchase. Thanks for all the input.

Or until they fall off yoru face into the drink.

Buy or manufacture a dork strap so if they drop, they stay on your neck. This is sage advise. I remember hte first time I watched $300 dollars of presciption eyewear fall into 4' of water I was rather dismayed. I got very cold, and very wet, getting them back out.

I bought a retainer that night.

I will get a dork strap eventually but for the time being I think I am okay. The glasses have rubber on the arms so they stick pretty well. Once I find a dork strap that is comfortable and doesn't cause damage to the glasses I will be good

Piece of string, knotted to each arm. Expect immiment failure when you least expect it.

String is a good temporary idea. Where do they even sell sunglasses straps?

I'd think you would be able to get them just about anywhere you can buy sunglasses. They are definetly a worthwhile investment. During my last trip to utah we were fishing out of float tubes on a deep alpine lake. Night was falling and the fish started rising, so my friend took his sunglasses off and put them on the brim on his baseball hat. A fish rose to his fly, he reared back, his $200 something dollar smiths flew off his head, and went to the bottom of the lake. He also missed the fish. Double whammy.

The 'dork strap' better known as a leash I use is made by a company called Crookies. They slide right on to the glasses an hold fast. They also come in a wide array of colors an styles.

skcuf wrote:
String is a good temporary idea. Where do they even sell sunglasses straps?

CVS will sell you simple cord with rubber cinchy things ont he end for $0.99. When you're done fishing, goto the library and hobnob with arty chicks who thnk your glasses retainer is awesome.

For sure get the straps. I lost a pair I owned for a day when I bent over to unhook a fish. 40 bucks thrown right in the creek. I"ll wear whatever though, grey or amber, really doesn't matter to me.

If I may concur:
Amber = overcast or cloudy days raining or not hands down
Copper= best lenses for sunny days hands down
grey= best lenses for saltwater
I prefer a photochromic lense[changes with the intensity or lack there of light] and fully polarized.
My favorite are always glass lenses and Action Optics/Smith are my favorite,however i do enjoy a pair of Costa Del Mar i own that have a vermillion lense jury is out on the vermillion lense,Amber and copper a pair of each are standard in all 4 chest packs i own .I also think if glass is way out there pricewise polycarbonate is good you just wont get polarchromic capabilities like you will with glass.i too also break a pair or two a year but Action Optics/Smith have always taken care of me and even for say 50 bucks a replacement repair fee i feel thats fair.also get a pair of Cums for your glasses its a cheap 5 dollar investment.
I cannot stress also that wearing sunglasses is a great way to keep your eyes safe. i seen a guy on the salmon river damn lucky he didn't lose an eye when a leader broke and the 50 cal.sized splitshot he was using came back and hit him in the left eye glass, hes lucky that saved his eye can you imagine if it had been a hook?
just my 2 cents.

Back