Steelhead flies

hey ed wheres his crystal buggers?

flipnfly wrote:
hey ed wheres his crystal buggers?

He's got a few of those already. And some slumpbusters, clousers, buggers, etc.

I was drafted to tie his egg flies (uhhhhh, thanks Becker, ol' buddy) - his TCO friend was going to tie his nymphs.

Over thirty years of tying experience, and what do I get to tie? Globugs. Sheeesh.

It'll all be worth it when I see him chasing his first steelie downstream, screaming like a little girl. :lol:

Don't be fooled I might be a newbie with catching steelies on the fly pole, but I have tangled with the Salmon on spinning gear. I am gonna ride that chrome down the river like a cowboy, hootin and hollerin!

LRSABecker wrote:
Don't be fooled I might be a newbie with catching steelies on the fly pole, but I have tangled with the Salmon on spinning gear. I am gonna ride that chrome down the river like a cowboy, hootin and hollerin!

No points for staying on for 8 seconds in this rodeo. :lol:

Ed,
I could use some orange fishhawks!
There are a step up from eggs
Ha Ha

wet

dont forget your chaps and spurs everyone that fishes erie wears chaps and spurs while fishin

flipnfly wrote:
dont forget your chaps and spurs everyone that fishes erie wears chaps and spurs while fishin

Hope you arn't talking about assless chaps, geez to cold for me! :lol:

HA- You got me, I hope I am not on only for 8 seconds. When I land one though I am gonna ride my pole like a horse though and thats a guarantee so someone better have a video camera! lol

my camera does 720 p video H.A

no to the assless ones no one wants to see your bare bottom plus fishing is a family sport.... now what goes on at the avonia tavern is a different story...

flipnfly wrote:
my camera does 720 p video H.A

I have no shame doing this, hell I had a collegiate golf match this year and I told my team that if I shot in the 80's ( I am really not that good) I would do the same thing with my driver. Well in front of a crowd of 30 people on the last hole after my put to give me an ending score of 89 the driver came out! Gave everybody lots of laughs.

i could use a married wing spey fly if your looking for a challenge
you know something like this but not a crappy version like this guy did LOL

flipnfly wrote:
i could use a married wing spey fly if your looking for a challenge
you know something like this but not a crappy version like this guy did LOL

Remember I am a newbie and I have no idea if thats a good fly or not. I do know it looks way to complicated and time consuming to tie. Such I am guessing you will be fishing with Ha and I, How about we put out a little wager. First one to land a Steelie gets to video tape the other ride the pole like a horse with Yips and other noises? This could be one funny *** trip.

i do not bet on my fishing skills how about we just watch you do it it would be funny to watch ed do it lol and i was meaning for ed to tie that fly actually after reading the tutorial it doesnt seem that tough

I am waiting for the MS Paint picture to pop up here lol

Homey don't tie no full dress salmon flies. Much too artsy fartsy for my tastes.

Wetflyguy could do it. That boy is one heck of a great tyer! Every year at the FAOL PA Fish-In, everyone gathers around the dining room table and watches him tie flies...

IMGP0134.jpg

how is the fly quality after that bottle of tullamore dew is gone?

Now those are nice wets for steelhead there!!

wet

shakey wrote:
anybody use and have pics of classic wets,such as big soft hackles,doc sprately's,carey specials,atlantic salmon style flies?

let me repeat my question from last year.i'm just not really into egg flies etc.

anybody use big classic wets and streamers?i might try my hand at steel this year,but i don't want to be way out in left field either.thanks

A lot of the regulars up there swing wets - only they are not all that big. When they open their box you see a lot of 14 to 8 wets. Also, most of the flies I have peeked at are sort of misc patterns. Sort of look like standard hairwing patterns like the Skunk, Green Butt Bear, Purple Peril etc but in random patterns with basic color schemes of red/pink, green/chartreuse/ or purple. Most guys I know aren't too anal about sticking to a pattern. Classic Atlantic salmon/Western steelhead patterns work, but guys that fish a lot like to churn out easier patterns since you loose lots of flies. Plenty of simple soft hackles too, generally a bright body with a white or natural hackle. Black hackle with a copper body has it's day. The big flies show up more in late March/April when the hungry drop-backs go on a feeding spree, but in the fall and winter a size 10 or so is a starting place. I have been told plenty of times that steelies are just big trout, so use flies and techniques that would appeal to rainbows where you are home. Maybe tie them in brighter colors, but then again maybe not. The flea in red or chartreuse is an oldy you don't see as much as you used to, but the regulars still have plenty in their boxes.

Basic technique is to rig a shot about 4 ft from the fly (maximum allowed is 4 ft - get near maximum) so the fly rises up to about the right height and has some action. Adjust the shot so that it ticks bottom, something like a #4 or #5 lead shot is about right (note: you can't buylead shot in NYS - bring it from home). Cast across and mend to sink to the bottom, then let swing down and across. Some days the fish are in the tailouts, some days in the deeper water near the head of the pool. Some days they are everywhere. However, they are always on the bottom so if you are not ticking the bottom you wouldn't be hooking up.

I see a lot of old-timers getting bored with bouncing egg patterns on the bottom and prefer to swing wets.

I use a lot of wets , but also fish eggs and such.
The wets are mostly size 8 and 10 .
Some of the trout patterns are great like
the professor , orange fish hawk , royal coachman
yellow,and red soft hackles.
A little size 14 purple /black hackle is great when you need
a small dark pattern

wet

Back