Steelhead flies

I have read all kinds of articles that say that the point is to have your fly stand out among the natural eggs. Since trib fish are so triggered by color and flash, I can see why it works.

It might be just different enough to do the trick.

Speaking of different egg patterns with beads, here's an interesting video by Charlie Meck. I had recalled the study done in BC which found that blue was the first color fish would take, but didn't recall the black and yellow findings.

Steeler Glow Bug

AmishOutlaw wrote:
I just finished reading an article regarding salmon eggs in a NY publication. It was quite interesting to see the pics of different eggs. Some were translucent but some had a definate nuclei. I got to thinking about how to tie an egg pattern using a mustard colored bead to represent the nuclei and also to give it some weight. I have tried various ways but the end result is that the bead is completely visible on one side and if you try to tie on both sides, the egg is more of a football shape than an egg shape. Any thoughts?

just use Blood Dots, great egg pattern. they have the nuclei.

jaybo41 wrote:
Speaking of different egg patterns with beads, here's an interesting video by Charlie Meck. I had recalled the study done in BC which found that blue was the first color fish would take, but didn't recall the black and yellow findings.

Steeler Glow Bug

I tried a blue egg last year on my last trip up to Erie and did quite well. I call it my cotton candy fly as it has a light pink blood dot on a blue egg. I hooked more fish than everyone else in my group. I remember that video from before... happen to have the article about the color of egg that the fish take? I've looked for it recently but couldn't find it.

Black and yellow are the most contrastable colors, atleast to the human eye... hence why road signs are in black and yellow.

Championship trophys must tremble in fear seeing the Steelers and Penguins coming from miles away!!!

Ryan, Where did you get the blue yarn??

I havent seen any around. Did you order it?

PS My eggs are looking awesome now. Thanks for the tips.

Do you guys have a tip for keeping the "blood dot" neat and tight??

There is a "bill skilton" brand egg yarn that looks seriously awesome. It's basically fluffy chenille. I use that for my blue eggs.

I just found blue egg yarn at I believe Gander Mountain.

Here's how I tie my eggs...

1 wrap of main color
take a piece of color for blood dot and divide into 4 pieces, use 1 piece.
2 wraps on top of blood dot color.... thats it.

besides blue my best combo is egg color for main, and salmon for blood dot. If I don't catch fish on that, it's not a good day for steelies.

Here's my favorite - this works well in small sizes for trout, too.

Fauceglia's Blood Dot

The trick is to compact the bases, kinda like packing deer hair on a hook.

happen to have the article about the color of egg that the fish take? I've looked for it recently but couldn't find it.
Ry-
Unfortunately I don't but I remember having read something about this before either in online reading or possibly in the Nagy book on Great Lakes Steelhead. If you don't have tt, I suggest you pick that up. I too would be interested in reading the study if anyone has the link.

The Meck video gets me thinking of a variation of a scrambled egg pattern that I should try. Yellow with a black line in the center. Hmmmm.

Millertime-
I *think* I got blue yarn from NC Fly Shop, but it was not recently. If he doesn't have it, I'm sure he'll get it for you. I'd also venture to say that you can find it at one of the shops in Erie. FishUSA.com didn't have blue, but they have plenty of other colors.

A few random observations I've noticed:

My Sucker Spawn material of choice is hands down Angora: baby pink, cream/yellow pale chartreuse and blue are my most successful colors. Pale tones do better in clear water, whereas hot colors are best for stained or colored water--chartruese, orange, red, purple, hot pink

The Glo Bug Micro Yarn works nice for sucker spawn too I've tied a variation of the tradtional pattern in blue with chartruese as the nuclei and have done well with it. Blue/pink is another good choice for this.

McFly foam works best for glo bugs IMHO, whereas the Glo Bug Yarn is my preference for scrambled egg patterns.

Don't forget Estaz Eggs, there are few patterns that are easier to tie than these. Chartreuse, Orange, Blue, Pink are all good color choices.

I like using the Glo Bugs micro yarn for my sucker spawns.

I seem to to do the best with plain white. I have tried a few different colors but they havent produced. I have a few pinks to try this year

I really want to tie some blue eggs though. I am going to have to get some while I am in erie.

J. Stockard has the blue glo bug yarn, but I didnt' see the Micro. These guys are good to deal with, I believe I saw their advertisement here at one point. Great customer service and nice selection of materials.

Fish USA is where I got my blue angora for Sucker Spawn. Give that a shot. It's easy to work with and lasts a while. Just cut your yarn, seperate the 3 pieces and you're good to go.

I've seen a new type of Glo Bug yarn but have yet to find anyone local with it, it's called bling. It's got some flash blended with the yarn. I think I'll be looking for that in Erie too.

My Gander mountain has a great selection of angora and bug yarn....

blue seems to work best during Winter and Spring.
blood dots sized 12-18 rule.
and of course, Micro Spawn http://www.lakeerieultimateangler.com/734847.html

TCO has blue McFly foam. As much as I don't like the Steelers I guess I will have to break down and tie the Steelers egg for the sake of increasing my odds of hooking up. And I am sure my Steeler fan fishing buddies will want some also.

One of my favorite WoolyBuggers I named the "AmishHustler" has done well with Steelies and Browns. Orange bead on an olive WoolyBugger.

I tied steeler bunny leeches. I hate all pittsburgh sports teams, but it's a nice color combo for a fly.

That's a cool link Dan. I never thought of using a coffee straw.

Probably nice for making scrambled eggs.

For those that can wait until you get there, Poor Richard's has more egg yarn than you can shake a stick at. It's astonishing, actually - I never knew there were so many different sizes, let alone colors. I've never been in Folly's shop, but I'll be sure to get what I can there first.

Hopefully, the pavillion at Folly's will be a good place to get some extra tying in, for those that bring their tying stuff.

I finally feel like am ready

Attachments

• 100_0714.JPG
    100_0714.JPG
    986 KB · Views: 2
Nice Bruno...looks like you are ready, too!!! That selection should get you into some fish.

Heres some pics of some streamers I've been tying for steelhead fishing. I can't wait to try them out!
I like to use barbell eyes on streamers. They get the fly down, and make sure it rides in the water the way I want.
DSCN1126.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1120.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

Back