Steelhead flies

I've never used one. I tied a few dozen in a few colors, so we'll see. Green and light blue have both been hot up in NY lately from what I hear.

"How has everyone's success been with chrystal meth. I have had very little in the past. It may be one of those flies I just don't have that much confidence in. I've heard both sides of the fence that they are great, and that they stink. What's everyone's prospective on the drug fly?"

They are phenomenal. Pink crystal meth is probably my favorite fly up there. I use hareline's diamond crystal braid in fl. shrimp pink and fl. hot pink. You won't be disappointed!

How awesome is it that no one on here uses the same fly or method on here. Everyone manages to catch fish the way they catch fish.

You have BJ who uses a pink crystal meth and swears by it.
You have Jack who uses His impressonistic Emerald Shiners.
You have guys throwing Slumpbusters or Prince Nymphs.
I love sucker spawn.

This is awesome. I feel like I can't be skunked. HAHAHA. J/K.
Thanks for all of the input. I have learned a ton about Steelheads.

This year will be the first for me to try my shiners. Last year I used various eggs. I saw one too many spin-anglers walk up next to me and pull fish out with the emeralds when my eggs weren't getting a look.

My first steelhead ever was on an olive bugger. The bottom line is to have variety. If something is getting ignored, change flies. If a yellow egg worked yesterday or at 8:00 AM, a pink one might be necessary today or at 2:00 PM.

I did pick up last year in the early season that minnow imitations work best in the early runs because the steelies have been eating them in the lake for the past couple years. Eggs would be entirely "new" things to them when they first run. The logic of that strikes me as sound.

I have not caught many fish on streamers or buggers. Mostly its on nymphs and eggs. I'm headed up in 2 weeks, so I'm going to make sure my box has a good handfull of streamers to appease the new fish. I agree Jack, that theology just makes sence.

My box is almost all filled up now. I'm currently working on extra flies to sell/give away so I don't have to dip into my own stash. I've already had 1 advance order on flies, and know there's going to be more. I gotta go buy more hooks off of my guy on Ebay.

ry: I'm the same way -- never caught a steel on a streamer and definitely want to check that off the list this year -- hopefully in the first couple runs, I can get that done :)

The steel do not often "nibble" at a streamer. As much as I hate the expression: "Throw it in and hold on tight."

Ry-I don't know what you are paying...the Fly Shop in California bought their own hook maker or contracted with one...their prices were hard to beat...and the hooks seem to work well enough...
$2.88 per 25...

Boss_steb

anybody use and have pics of classic wets,such as big soft hackles,doc sprately's,carey specials,atlantic salmon style flies?

boss_steb wrote:
Ry-I don't know what you are paying...the Fly Shop in California bought their own hook maker or contracted with one...their prices were hard to beat...and the hooks seem to work well enough...
$2.88 per 25...

Boss_steb

Do they have a website?

Here ya go Ernie:

The Fly Shop

That's a pretty good price if you're only gonna buy hooks in quantities of 25. I see no discount for purchasing in larger quantities.

An even better deal if buying in larger quantities:

The Fish Guy

Here is where I get all my hooks at..... Fly Shack

$7 for 100

Usually have what you need. Be careful ordering ones that are on backorder. Usually its not too bad but last year there was a time when it was 2 months till they came in.

Tied up 60 or so crystal meths today while watchin football.

Thanks PennsCreek! Now that's a deal. There's some serious bargains on that site. Free shipping..............YES!!!!!!!

yeah I love that site, they do not have a huge selection, but what they do have is very competitively priced. I was looking for crystal meth materials and had to buy it somewhere else. And you cannot beat the free shipping. During the Spring of 08 you only needed to purchase $25 worth before they gave it to you.

The bulk of my steel/salmon tying is done, including about 300 estaz flies in multiple colors. I've gotten bored and started tying pretty stuff for show. I've come up with some pretty damn good looking stonefly patterns, and just put a strip of crystal braid over the wing case. I think it looks damn good.

It's gonna hurt to put all half dozen of them into rocks within a few hours...

I keep reminding myself of a derivation of the golfer's phrase..

"stones for show, estaz for dough" :lol:

I like it Jay!

I've hit a tying funk, but still crank out a few just about every day. I keep filling up this box to "sell or give away" but then I keep taking them out of there and filling my box more. "I just need a few more of those".

I'm headed up on Saturday and ready to rip some lip!

Let me know when you're headed up there Jay and I'll try to make it.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Here ya go Ernie:

The Fly Shop

That's a pretty good price if you're only gonna buy hooks in quantities of 25. I see no discount for purchasing in larger quantities.

An even better deal if buying in larger quantities:

The Fish Guy

Great stuff. I have bought a lot of stuff from The Fish Guy and have always found the service to be good. Only have had a couple hooks break on the vice - not too bad!

I don't think I've ever broken a hook on the vice... the only time I break them is when I'm trying to take the barb off, then I'll occasionally take the whole point off.

I just finished reading an article regarding salmon eggs in a NY publication. It was quite interesting to see the pics of different eggs. Some were translucent but some had a definate nuclei. I got to thinking about how to tie an egg pattern using a mustard colored bead to represent the nuclei and also to give it some weight. I have tried various ways but the end result is that the bead is completely visible on one side and if you try to tie on both sides, the egg is more of a football shape than an egg shape. Any thoughts?

That's interesting... I can see how you're getting the football shape with the bead in the middle intruding from having a central tie down point. I would say to use a little more yarn and some heavier thread and really yank down on it to add more tension and get a better spread on your yarn. You might have to play around with it by cutting the yarn a few different ways. Tough call.

I just started using 210 thread and my eggs are looking a bit better. Haven't found that the fish mind, but nice to know it pleases the fisherman!

Back