Steelhead flies

oh good,one thing i have plenty of is starling and purple.

thanks a lot you guys are a big help.

is the red soft hackle you mention like a uni-thread red and dark hen,or a pearsall's red and partridge?

if anybody has more pictures of steel head wets i would appreciate it.

The yellow and red soft hackles I use for steelhead are size 10
3906 wet fly hook . I use dmc floss body( from craft store) with a fine gold rib.
Brown partridge hackle , black thread head.

wet

sweeeeeeet,that's my kind of fly.thank you!

Well those who have been on the board for a while know I'm a steelhead nut. The last 2 years have been a bit disappointing but hopefully things will turn around this year.

Here's a good thread (going strong for 2 years now) that will get the fall chrome juices flowing. Good for a steelhead beginner or the avid chromer.

The days are already growing a bit cooler and steel will be here before you know it. Feel free to look through this whole post to get some good ideas for steelhead flies.

I'm tying up some estaz for salmon and steel. I've never used them before. Easy peasy...

What's your favorite colors?

I'm headed out today to get some more supplies.

I like blue, chartreuse, pink, amber, orange and red for Estaz eggs. There is a debate on how much color really matters - but when it is slow changing flies at least lets you feel like you are doing something. We all have our theories, but I don't think anyone really knows why a steelhead will swipe at a fly.

Nobody says you can't swing Estaz eggs - that works too.

I've got yellow, peach, root beer, chartreuse, and red. I also bought some hot beads to tie up egg sucking leaches. Do you guys like a bugger or a zonker strip for your leaches?

i have both ry but prefer a zonker strip i have also seen big black stones witha bright bead head on them like an egg sucking stone

Here's a massive refresh of a thread that's got a LOT of good info for steelhead flies (going 3 years strong now). Read through instead of it all getting repeated.

The topic has already come up so I'll just refresh this great thread from a few years ago.

Ryguyfi,

I had luck with a white estaz and white crystal bugger last year. Caught my first erie brown on the crystal bugger.

The best producing flies for hook ups were bead head pheasant tail, and beadhead copper john.

This is my go to fly for steelhead, salmon and browns. It was killer for me last fall and this spring and I have total faith in it. I am actually tying some up tonight. I call it a regurgitated minnow.

Attachments

• IMAG0205.jpg
    IMAG0205.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 4
You guys care to share your favorite emerald shiner pattern? I've tied a few but still working on one I love.

These are the emerald shiners I use.

Attachments

• IMAG0347.jpg
    IMAG0347.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 4
Great fly care to share the recipe. (GFEN please don't post that link lol). I saw a couple of flies with a trailing egg gonna tie some up

wow! that is a nice fly

Emerald Shiners

Attachments

• 11-17-09 erie shiner 004.jpg
    11-17-09 erie shiner 004.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2
I tied a few of these up this weekend and tweaked the recipe a bit.

http://ckoflytying.blogspot.com/2012/09/whitedeath.html

Everything's the same, but put some pearl krystal flash under the zonker, only tied the zonker in at the head, and put some olive bucktail overtop of the zonker. I think it needed some color contrast. We'll see how they work

Back