Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

OK, time to put on your big boy pants and get over the spot burning bs!

joebamboo wrote:
OK, time to put on your big boy pants and get over the spot burning bs!

Who spot burned the Erie tribs? :pint:

Some pretty good fishing past 2 days

Hmmm. Somebody else who knows that area.

I actually had caught a lot of fish out of Pond Brook and not just carp.

Interesting. Small bodies of water like that can definitely surprise you. I've never fished Pond Brook(though I have driven over it), but I know of another similar creek(marshy, comes out of a lake) that is a surprisingly good fishery for different panfish, the occasional bass, and I even saw a nice sized walleye once. I've fished Tinkers once, and from what I remember it was creek chub capital of the world. Big ones too!lol

Back on topic, as long as we don't get too much rain the weekend looks real promising for the PA tribs...the east side Ohio tribs probably won't fish...

streamerguy wrote:
Hmmm. Somebody else who knows that area.

I actually had caught a lot of fish out of Pond Brook and not just carp.

Interesting. Small bodies of water like that can definitely surprise you. I've never fished Pond Brook(though I have driven over it), but I know of another similar creek(marshy, comes out of a lake) that is a surprisingly good fishery for different panfish, the occasional bass, and I even saw a nice sized walleye once. I've fished Tinkers once, and from what I remember it was creek chub capital of the world. Big ones too!lol

Back on topic, as long as we don't get too much rain the weekend looks real promising for the PA tribs...the east side Ohio tribs probably won't fish...

I only fished it at the spillway of Aurora Lake and then only when I got tired of catching fish in the lake. Loaded with small panfish. I used to live there. Go down stream much from there and I'd imagine the O2 content probably drops off quickly. It's a huge old swamp. And if one tried to walk down there, they might never be found (mud).

And likely things have chanced since I lived there over 10 years ago.

I might be up at one of the PA tribs this weekend but with Halloween coming up, I will be disguised as a very large old guy.

Streamerguy, the last thing we wanna do is hope for no more rain. Creeks aren't really as high as you think.

For what it's worth, I've been out on various streams every day since Saturday. It hasn't been great, just good enough.
Fish are way up but they are mostly old tired fish.
New chrome are trickling in daily.
With this localized rain, some creeks are getting more water than others. On the way home this afternoon I drove past 12 mile which was clear. 16 mile was rising fast and flushing leaves. 20 Mile was clear but may come up later due to snowmelt. Chautauqua was perfect green, 2ft visibility, temp 43F, fish were lethargic and holding in the deeper pools. That's where I was most of the day. Mix of old and new fish. I worked hard for 8.
I saw more fishermen than fish caught.
I think mid Elk is the best bet this weekend.
16-Mile is the new 20-Mile. It's been packed this week.

FarmerDave wrote:
I might be up at one of the PA tribs this weekend but with Halloween coming up, I will be disguised as a very large old guy.

He's usually a hot blonde chick :-D

Snow melt will slow things down as the area is under a Lake Effect snow Warning. +4" on the ground in souther Erie county now

I think the Ny tribs have been less crowed than PA so far this seas ion. Down low cant beat Chautauqua or fly only. CatT was very good 2 weeks ago with very few angles on the stream. Further off the beaten path the better.

Streamerguy, the last thing we wanna do is hope for no more rain. Creeks aren't really as high as you think.

You're right, I was meaning to say I hope we don't get tooooo much rain, as in chocolate milk and conditions more suited for white water rafting. The eastern OH tribs are currently blown out, but PA should be good for the weekend(hopefully).

No snow run off up there.
Creeks were dropping and clearing today....

Here is a little steelhead teaser. It is a bit late being caught last week on twenty mile, but I was pretty excited when he ate my little emerald shiner pattern that I tied up with bucktail on top and craft fur on bottom. I have never done much streamer fishing up there, but it certainly is effective.

Attachments

• twt1.jpg
    twt1.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 2
CRB wrote:
Snow melt will slow things down as the area is under a Lake Effect snow Warning. +4" on the ground in souther Erie county now

I think the Ny tribs have been less crowed than PA so far this seas ion. Down low cant beat Chautauqua or fly only. CatT was very good 2 weeks ago with very few angles on the stream. Further off the beaten path the better.

It's been less crowded because of the poor numbers of returning NY fish.
Per the latest DEC biology report, 20% of the fish caught in those creeks you mentioned are NY hatchery raised. Most are PA and some OH fish. What took me all day to catch on Chautauqua, I could have done in a couple hours on 20-Mile. The decline started with the change to a different hatchery and breed.
Cat was good all of Sept and most of Oct. The reason was that with the low 175 CFS flow, the fish were easy to find at the top end of the pools. Those where the only place with any hoding current.
Come back in November at 400-700 CFS and 12-20" visibility. That's when the real season kicks in.

bingsbaits wrote:
No snow run off up there.
Creeks were dropping and clearing today....

I noticed that. Suprisingly, 16 was rising and the leaves made it no fun to fish. That was around 3PM.

I drive over the Chagrin every day on my way home (322) and I was expecting it to be raging. Well, it was high, but not as high as I expected and the color didn't look bad. On the other hand, there was a lot of snow on the ground that has to go someplace.

I'm thinking maybe Conneaut might not be too bad because I don't think they got the snow. I know I didn't get any at my place, but I do live south of that watershed. My water flows south.

FarmerDave wrote:

I'm thinking maybe Conneaut might not be too bad because I don't think they got the snow. I know I didn't get any at my place, but I do live south of that watershed. My water flows south.

The Connie is blowing at about 940 cfs right now. You better be Treebeard if your gonna fish that ;-)

http://www.riverboss.com/

Nice fish, StarvinMarvin

Gage is going up again, hopefully it doesnt go up too much, and drops enough for the weekend.

You'll be fine. There is call for some rain, but not anything significant. It's going to keep the flows and stain very nice for the weekend.

Dano I would love to read that NY report. Is there a link to it?

Back