Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

Calling for up to a half inch of rain Tuesday into Wednesday, it ain't much in the grand scheme of things, but it should be good to get the streams up a bit, and some fish moving in and up, yet leave the streams time to come down in time for the weekend, may not be a bad weekend to get up there.

On that note, I heard they got a bit of rain up there yesterday, didn't do much for the westside streams. But, I was wondering if anyone uses the USGS Gage at French Creek near Wattsburg, Pa, or anywhere else, to gage the East side streams? French Creek, is nearing flows of where it was during the last storm they had up there last week, so wasn't sure.

fishingood wrote:
Calling for up to a half inch of rain Tuesday into Wednesday, it ain't much in the grand scheme of things, but it should be good to get the streams up a bit, and some fish moving in and up, yet leave the streams time to come down in time for the weekend, may not be a bad weekend to get up there.

On that note, I heard they got a bit of rain up there yesterday, didn't do much for the westside streams. But, I was wondering if anyone uses the USGS Gage at French Creek near Wattsburg, Pa, or anywhere else, to gage the East side streams? French Creek, is nearing flows of where it was during the last storm they had up there last week, so wasn't sure.

I have been reading your posts the last two years and I just wanted to say thank you for always having helpful/honest posts about steelhead. I can tell you have the same addiction/love for fishing steelhead as me and you are one of the reasons that now fisherie is worth actually looking at. For some reason the moderators seem to be doing a better job over there so you can actually get something out of the forum.

anyone close to the area on here? supposly raining good up there today was gonna make the drive up friday if its actually gonna bring the water up

Make this site your homepage for the next few months.

http://www.unclejohnselkcreekcamp.com/webcam/

I'm about 45 min north of Pittsburgh and we got hit with a good amount of rain for several hours over the night. Looks like Elk isn't effected much by any rain they did get. Sometimes it can take a few hours after a rain for the streams to blow out, but doesn't look like that's the case right now.

Been teaching flytying at the Erie Vet Center. Had the guys and ladies tying up a bunch of yarn eggs. Some of the guys headed out with their flies to the Eastside streams.
The report: Eastside streams were not affected at all from this morning's rains. If anything, they seemed to have gone down a bit. The lake shore was a bit too crowded for my groups liking.
Another dry October.

Check the gauges and watch the forecast. Walnut is currently at 274 which is high and muddy. Brandy run on elk is 21 which is the same conditions. Walnut fishes good from 50-150 cfs usually. Tomorrow and Friday should fish good.

Tip: until the growing season is stopped by frost expect low and clear conditions very soon after a rain event. Leaves should be falling tonight and through the next week or so.

Lower Elk looks prime, hope you are there:

broadcamframe.jpg

Water looks fantastic today. Stupid work thing gets in the way far too often.

I'm on the stream right now but need to rest my arm. Sooooo... Creeks have been on fire the last two days. Mostly old darkish fish with some fresh chrome mixed in. I've had to move a few times as late arriving fishermen insist on fishing the same small cuts and runs as me. WHen I fish alone, I prefer to be by myself.
I'm heading farther up after lunch.

I heard the same from a buddy that fished tuesday-friday. Said it was a really good trip with good water later in the week. With those two spikes the last two days I am sure this is the first good run. I still think the best steelhead fishing is ahead of us!

Keep us posted Dano!

had over 2" yesturday and last night, looks like might have to go to the finger lakes for land locks if they start running.

bjkaledas wrote:
I still think the best steelhead fishing is ahead of us!

The peak of the run is not even until November and then it continues to fish well through April. There is plenty of time.

The forecast for the next 7+ days looks inticing. Right temps, and hopefully a fair amount of precip. Im considering driving up next saturday for the first trip this year. Thanks for the reports, guys.

Just got back...twenty mile was low, but had a lot of fish on Wednesday, and Elk was muddy, but cleared nicely throughout the day yesterday. Elk fished well enough to keep things interesting with some really fresh fish.

Just got back.
Elk was blown out, 20 mile was mud and leaves and high.
16 Mile was mud and leaves but clearing when we left at 2 PM...

Braved the circus on Walnut this morning, caught a few fish, then couldn't take it any more and headed to Elk. Didn't have any luck there. It was high and definitely off color, but some of the shallower runs/pools were fishable. Quit fishing around 2:00(had to be home early) so I'm sure Elk got better throughout the afternoon. Tomorrow should be awesome on all the streams....

I feel bad for you guys who are out of town that I get to land these beautiful fish everyday of my life. :)

Id have to say my arms and other arms are hurting after today

Back