• Thread starter sight_nymph_17109
  • Start date
Thanks Jay. I appreciate the info. I am going to rent a kayak most likely. Sounds like a ton of fun!

Nick,

Jay has given some good info. Unless we get a ton of rain, the flows shouldn't be too high. Late September gets close to the time when they are dumping the lakes out for the winter and you can never predict what's going to come out of a tailwater. Don't worry about being able to provide a truck or having a boat. Plenty of places to wade fish. Some guys may have extra kayaks, canoes or pontoons available for you to borrow. If you rent a kayak or split a canoe with one of the other guys, that will work too. You'd have access to 20+ miles of water with just a PA license. If flows make one or more river unfishable, you may be forced to get a 1-2 day NY license so that we can run to one of the other rivers. I think they are around $15.

If you check the USGS website for flows, here's a good measuring stick for you to use:

West Branch flows between 200 - 800 cfs offer great to good wading conditions. Main Delaware River flows between 900 - 2000 cfs will offer great to good wading levels. Last year it was around 1500 cfs in Lordville and we could walk all over the river without much worry. Helpful tip: If you are over your wading belt and it looks really deep right in front of you... it is. The main stem and WB have some deep holes but the EB has some REALLY deep water. The main river and WB flow at an easy gradient without a lot of heavy water. In some areas the bottom is small cobbles or river rock and silt. Some places have bigger rocks or rip/rap that makes getting around a little trickier. In general, pretty easy wading. The EB is 2 very different rivers. The upper section is almost like a spring creek with many access points. Gentle grade and only 1 or 2 riffs to nymph. The lower section is riffs, runs and long deep flats. Much faster / deeper water. Wading access on the lower section is limited and floating is a far better option.

**IMPORTANT** In NY, the landower owns the stream bottom. Wading or parking your boat where there isn't an easment would constitue trespassing. I found this out this spring when an irate landowner yelled at me. This is really only an issue on the lower EB. There are 2 sections on the upper EB that you can't wade unless you sign waivers from the landowners. To the best of my knowledge, the main river and WB will use the PA law of wading inside the high water mark. I will have access maps for the EB to let you know where you can and can not wade or park your boat.

Alright! That is some great info! Again count me as a yes. Thank you.

As things stand now, I have the following guys that said "IN":

jdaddy
JayL + 1 or 2 buddies
Alpabuck
AFISHN
Nickyboy
Flyswatter
me + buddy Josh
4 - 6 guys from NY fly fishing forum

Feel free to contact each other if you'd like to organize carpooling or to pair up for sharing a room. We should have a pretty wide range of ages in the group.

"MAYBES" on the list:
afishinado
LRSA
Trowpa
JerseyGeorge
mcwillja
Paul G

Things are shaping up and we could have a pretty good sized group going if everything pans out. So far, the majority of responders have said "Screw the museum, I want to fish" so I'll scrap that idea for now. We still can have a little seminar with a local shop owner / guide which I think would be very helpful for first timers.

jdaddy and I have discussed a "poker night" at this as well. For those of you that are willing to sacrifice an early morning, feel free to bring a few bucks ($10-20) and your best game. None of us are current or former 2+2 members, I promise. :-D

I was going to suggest that everyone put $5-$10 in a pot for the biggest fish of the trip. Photo or photo & witness would be needed to validate.

Jersey George is in. I have been staying at the Capra recently. There are two convenience stores within walking distance for late night beer runs. While I prefer the circle E for breakfast, McDonalds is right across from the Capra. For many years I have stayed at Smiths Colonial. Good people, and a nice view of the river up towards Bard Parker.

And in the evening, it is pretty much Blue Stone Cafe and of course the world famous Lydia's!

I will be floating.

Welcome on board. I'm Circle E all the way too. It looks like there may be a grill involved so we'll see what happens for dinner.... other than beer. LOL. I called Gene and my room is booked already. I stayed at Smiths before they sold it. They really jumped the price and that's how I ended up at the Capra.

Lydia's one night for sure!

If there is a grill involved then I might have to bring my smoker. Darn this could get involved. But if we get a grill going, we can make sure that no driving is involved, once the evening gets underway!!!

I did not know that NY had 'grilling and driving' laws. I'll spread the word. I don't want to get caught blowing "medium well".
LMAO.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
I did not know that NY had 'grilling and driving' laws. I'll spread the word. I don't want to get caught blowing "medium well".
LMAO.

Where there's grilling....there's sure to be swilling :pint: :pint: :pint:

I've always heard that the secret to good grilling is a little burbon in the sauce... And a even more in the cook.

I'll add that, I'm SERIOUSLY considering this trip. The grill and swill may, or may not sway me but if I can get few loose ends squared away, there's likely to be a vehicle headed from SW PA. and that's a fact.

Dave, I think there was another guy looking to come from that direction but was put off by the length of drive alone. Put out some feelers. You may find a partner to split the gas and driving time with. Hope you can make it.

I think I did just do that!

Anyway, what I need is someone to do some roofing, sofit, facia, gutters and down spouts. And if they can run a post hole digger, I'll not only drive, I'll pick them up at their front door AND pay for all the gas! LOL!

Between the searing heat and now the thunder storms I'm not getting anywhere. Might as well tie some flies.

Letssee... Isos, BWO's, Terresterials... OMG Flying Ants! those can be killer!

Caddis, caddis, caddis

Pellet flies if you plan on fishing behind West Branch Angler!

Dont worry I'll have extra's dont spend to much time at the vise!

Are you kidding me with the pellet fly thingy? They should be ashamed of themselves

I don't think they do that. They have some very good riffles out back there though. Their bar, downstairs from the restaurant is quite large, and they have good food at fair prices. A place to consider for one of our evenings.

Do they still have the trout in the fish tank at the bar?

Back