• Thread starter sight_nymph_17109
  • Start date
Will the water be too cold to skin wade that late in the year? (I've never been out that way).

Also, is anyone going to head up to Deposit and Hale Eddy? I know it's in NY state but it's suppose to be fantastic up there. I own both a NY and PA license, so it doesn't really matter to me, just curious.

That water is too cold to wet wade right now, much less September! You are talking high 50's right now.

There is no telling where we will end up. That is where most of us have been fishing the last couple months due to flows and temps in other streams and main stem. I think most guys have a NY and PA license so it opens up Beaver/Willow/EB/WB/MS/Esopus, etc, etc. Just depends on hatches, flows, etc as to where we will end up.

Andy you gotta sell dude.....

Ok. Since we are going to have a pretty good turnout, we need to begin to hash out how many will be floating and how many are strictly waders. If there's a wader only or wade most of the time guy going that's familiar with the waters, I'd appreciate you stepping up and leading the group. I think there's a fair amount of floaters going on this trip. Also, if someone wants to organize a brookie fishing party and is familiar w/ the native streams in the area, take charge of that group.

I think we'll have the following:

I have 2 pontoons
Josh has 2 pontoons and a canoe
jdaddy has pontoon
JerseyGeorge has pontoon
Brandon 2 kayaks and a pontoon
Frank pontoon
Jay pontoon
I know someone else mentioned bringing a canoe
Anyone else bringing a boat?

We can rotate using the spare boats so everyone gets a chance to float if they want to. We should be able to 2 in each canoe so we could have 15 guys or so floating each day. That's awesome. Flyswatter is familiar w/ the river, George, Jay, Jeff and Brandon are familiar enough with the WB to lead a group there. I'm good to lead a group on the EB, WB or main stem.

Example: 3 guys in at "barking dog" floating to Hale Eddy. 3 guys in at Hale Eddy floating to Balls Eddy. 3 guys floating from the 'jaws' to Fishes Eddy. Compare notes, beer and improve our numbers the following day.

I have a 15 foot canoe and I'm an experianced paddler. I would like to buddy up with someone who has experience fishing from a canoe (pref. in moving water) and can transport the canoe either at the beginning or end of the float.

You shold probable bring your own PFD. I have 2 paddles.

My truck has plenty of spae to haul gear.

Plesae let me know if anyone is interested.

thanks,
Mike

Hey I live in Philly area I would like to join you guys for this. I am new to fly fishing only been doing it for 1 1/2 years. I like it very much. Do I have to get NY licenses for fishing up there. I did read about what to bring. If you could help me with bit more detailed private msg I will be much obliged. I know you guys are experts on fly fishing will it be alright for me to come or it will hassle for you and other folks.
I thank you very much in advance.

Adil ( Troutmaster)
mohadil@msn.com

I think afish might be coming, and I know he has yaks.

Floating v. wading will be flow dependent as well, no? A 15 craft floatilla down the WB at 600 is likely to get us shot at by waders. Plus all you do is dodge waders all day. I mean if EB, WB and MS plus BK/WM/ESOP all have good levels then that spreads angling pressure out and floating would be fine. But if they are all holed up in the WB like last time we may be better off wading. Just an opinion.

I agree. I will not be floating if the flows are similar to what we saw last time.

I was not suggesting floating in a 15 man group. 2-4 boats on upper WB, 2-4 on main stem, 2-4 on EB and some waders in between. That gives us feedback on MILES of water. Hatches differ greatly up there. Sometimes, you fish all day and end up with nothing while the guys a mile away killed them. That night, we take our "data / fishing reports" from the group and look it over. It will give us a better idea of which river is producing more bugs and / or more fish. That's all I'm saying. We modify our approach for the next day. If wading works, we wade. If floating saves me a 1 1/2 walk down a bank that's sloped at 45 degrees, I float. My knees can't take that crap much longer.

Me and Joshy are heading up that Wed. I'm guessing that we'll hit the main stem or the lower EB for sure if we get a little rain to raise the levels. EB is my fav by far but I'm not sure it's deep enough to float a rubber ducky in right now.

Who wants to float this weekend?

I have no means or experience floating. Doesn't mean i won't try it if given the opportunity (room in a boat, etc).

However I'm also content wading if there is someone familiar with the waters to partner up with.

Long as I'm on the water and fishing, I'm pretty easy going and flexible!

I've never fished the D, so i'm just hoping to learn a few things from those that are more experienced up there!

You guys are killing me. I've got work to do at home but may get suckered into going. trowpa, you can wade the main at the current flows. I don't know if Jay's buddy has a canoe or kayak. I have a spare pontoon.... if I end up going. If I go, who's helping me build a shed next week so that I can get Squaretail moved in?

I don't think trowpa was talking about this weekend, but he'd be welcomed!

Nope - i was talking about for the Jam. Can't this weekend (but i'd be up for any other scouting trips :) )

Just wanted to let you know that I'll be wading.

For the raffle / FUDR donation, how does 2 tickets for $10 and 5 tickets for $20 sound? Next question... can you win more than one time or are you removed to give everyone a chance to win?

Would you rather see the get together at Coz's on Friday morning, Friday afternoon or Saturday morning?

Give me some feedback so I can organize w/ Border Waters.

Change of plans... for various reasons, I will most likely fish the savage this weekend.

OK this is starting to shape up now. I'm booked @ Capra Inn. I've got no problem wading. If flows are substancial, I'd be interested in floating. Is there much trouble renting a pontoon, if that's whats necessary?

I'm planning to somehow get sick or otherwise leave work early on Friday. Hopefully be in Hancock early evening. Anybody from SW PA interested in going please speak-up. Lottsa room in the truck!
AS far as the raffle goes, I'd certianly like to contribute something. Perhaps some flies at least.

I'm really looking forward to this. I haven't been this excited since the pigs ate my little brother.

Dave

Back