rod counting.

steveo27 wrote:

I have 2 old 'glass rods that have no makings on them so I really havent figured out what to do with them

most likely ,they're 6wts.

i would try them with a 6. if they work with a six,they'll be fast with a five and slow with a seven.

but,i would start with a six.obviously,if they're are overlined you work down,and if they're underlined you work up.

you might end up getting rid of your graphite rods.... haha

a six weight glass rod is a great all-arounder. fights like a four,casts like a six.

a glass six is probably what i would use if i could only have one. or a bamboo five.

I have 5 functional graphite rods, one of which I'm trying to sell:
-orvis Clearwater 10' 4wt
-w&m 7'6" 4wt eBay special for small streaming
-white River 8' 4wt eBay special I have listed on Craigslist right now
-9' 5wt built by Laurel Ridge rods on a RX-6 blank
-9'6" 6wt orvis encounter

Then 2 Fenwick glass rods that were my grandfathers and a 5wt bamboo rod that someone gave me. I can't see myself buying anymore unless I break one. I use all of them and they each have a purpose but find myself using the 10' 4wt the most.

10 but it's a struggle to not buy more. I figure a rod is plane ticket these days so I make myself not buy anymore and just save the money for fishing trips.

I have a dozen rods from 3 weight to 9 weight. The rod I use 90% of the time is 10 foot 4 weight Helios, which is broken and been in the shop for two months. Lately I have been using my 8 1/2 foot 4 weight and 9 foot 5 weight, both zero gravity. Using the two shorter rods make me realize just how much ten feet helps my line control and drag free drifts, hopefully I get it back soon.

I updated from 37 to 39 this week...

I think I have 9 or 10 but I do know that I need one more. I want a nice 5wt switch rod and then that should complete my collection I think.

just got another reel today Bronson 360 to go with one of the glass rods.

Back