rod counting.

troutbert wrote:
lestrout wrote:
I agree with Gencon that I pretty much need every stick I have. There are rods for specific waters, in specific seasons. I'll admit to getting a new rod for a particular pool, and in one case, an individual fish which I chased for a couple of weeks. In several cases, I got dupes of especially favorite actions, in case the model got discontinued.

I keep my rods all over the house and in my ffishing/puffing car. A lot of the rods are in repurposed wine racks: the ones for a case of bottles will hold 48 to 60 rods, depending on the design.

The way I keep count is by 'puter. Everything is on a spreadsheet, not physically in one spot.

Just picture the warehouse scene at the end of Raiders of the Last Ark... :)

^ Yep! I've visited Lestrout's garage...:-o

Attachments

• Les's Garage.jpg
    Les's Garage.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 3
1 x 3wt
1 x 4wt - boo
2 x 5wt
1 x 7wt x 9'
1 x 7wt x 10.5'
1 x 7wt x 11'3'' - switch
2 x 9wt x 9'
1 x 9wt x 13' - spey
1 x 9/10wt x 14' - spey
1 x 11wt

12 - this is the bare minimum that I am forced to scrape by with.

all are fast action, i could do with a flex 3 & 5 wts.

6' 3pc 2wt Elkhorn;
6'6" 2pc 2wt Cabela PT;
6'6" 4pc 2wt Battson;
6'9" 4pc 1wt TFO finesse (plus a custom one);
7'3' 4pc 2wt Echo Carbon;
7'3" 2pc 2wt Mystic;
7'6" 2pc 2wt Cabela LST;
7'6" 4pc 2wt St. Croix Avid.

Nine. I fish some tiny streams and short fly rods like the 6', 6'6", 6'9" ones help. I fish all with 3wt lines. The 6'6" cabela PT 2wt was $90 on ebay and I like it as much as any of them, really.

Yipes.

I only have 3 that I use.

- 6'6" 3/4w
- 7'6" 3w
- 9' 5w

I have 2 old 'glass rods that have no makings on them so I really havent figured out what to do with them

I ain't tellin!!!! haha!!

I wait until my gear becomes almost completely non-functional before I buy new stuff. I have 3 rods. 8'6" 4wt, 7'6" 5 wt, and 9' 6 wt. Nothing too expensive as I tend to hit a lot of tree branches and rocks with them. The 5 wt is missing the second guide from the tip, I roll casted it straight into an overhead branch that I didn't see.

6'6" 3wt Orvis Superfine Touch
8'6" 5wt Orvis mid flex Access
8' 7-8wt Fenwick FF80 (yes this is my favorite rod)

Going through a major shift in my life a couple of years ago, I decided to make a few changes. One of which was to simplify things. As a typical Amercan mega-consumer, I realized I had too much frivolous stuff in my life, including too many fly rods. So I decided to sell off seven or eight rods. And I quickly discovered I never really needed all of them to begin with. I now have five: 4,5,6,7,9 wts. That's all I need.

Had to take off my shoes and socks to keep track, came up with 23 off the top of my head. 15 cane rods in 2 thru 6wts, half dozen graphites in 3 thru 7 and a couple of my dad's old glass rods, both 6wts. Plenty of options for plenty of moods...

"Had to take off my shoes and socks to keep track, came up with 23 off the top of my head. "

Which foot has 7 toes and which has only six?

When I ran out of digits I clipped clothes pins to my nose & ears..

too many (18 I think)

3 wt 703/3, 703/3
4 wt 904/2, 844/5
5 wt 805/3, 845/2, 905/2
6 wt 706/3, 846/5, 906/2, 906/4, 906/4
7 wt 867/5, 1007/4
8 wt 868/2, 1008/2, 968/2

2-hander 1287/3

For trout fishing, I use 6 weight rods 80% of the time (I have them in lengths that allow me to fish all sizes of streams and rivers). In 2015 I sold a 1007/4 and a 1008/4 and I bought (2) 906/4s.

10, half of which are almost never used, so I need to divest some rods.
Methinks some people have an obsession with rods.

Methinks some people have an obsession with rods.

Well, there are worse afflictions...

I have 14 fly rods, 3 that I mostly use but all are needed.

Way too many. Much more than I need.
I try make it a point to fish each rod at least once a year.
That way I can remember why the hell I bought it in the first place.

I have 5. 4 - 7 weight. Could use a 3 weight and a new 5 weight, but overall I have enough.

Each rod I have is used for specific purposes
My Reddington 8wt for steelhead/salmon
9' 5wt Orvis Hydros - Big water (Yough)
8'6" 4wt Orvis Helios 2 - All arounder for small to medium size streams.
Cabelas TQR 7'2wt and 7'6" 3wt for small spring creeks and brooks.
Echo Carbon 9' 5wt as a big water back-up.

I also have a few dust collectors like my Eagle Claw, and Shakespeare.
that have seen better days.

I have 9 rods ( not counting the ones for my grand children ) they all get used 2 wt to 11 wt. helios 10' 3wt gets used the most.

My wife says I have too many. I say I need a few more, so 19 and counting... Classic to broom sticks and perhaps a tomato stake or two, too..

Back