rod counting.

shakey

shakey

do any of you have an idea how many rods you have?

i was thinking of counting mine,but then you have to bring them all into the same room and everything.
then try to remember what is on loan.

is it worth knowing?

what if you find out more than two are ,shudder,graphite? agh!

last count was 37 rods

I think 19. 4 wt to 13 wt. And as I tell my Wife, I need every one of them. I also may need more as the need arrives.

GenCon

I only have 4 but I did not become serious about FF until 2012 when I sold my spin rods and reels.

I agree with Gencon that I pretty much need every stick I have. There are rods for specific waters, in specific seasons. I'll admit to getting a new rod for a particular pool, and in one case, an individual fish which I chased for a couple of weeks. In several cases, I got dupes of especially favorite actions, in case the model got discontinued.

I keep my rods all over the house and in my ffishing/puffing car. A lot of the rods are in repurposed wine racks: the ones for a case of bottles will hold 48 to 60 rods, depending on the design.

The way I keep count is by 'puter. Everything is on a spreadsheet, not physically in one spot.

20, but now I am into building and have four more to build this winter

6 Fly
5 UL Spin
1 Bass Baitcaster
4 Saltwater Spin

Could probably get by for all my fishing needs with half that if need be as there's some duplication and overlap of purpose in the fleet.

Swattie87 wrote:

6 Fly
5 UL Spin
1 Bass Baitcaster
4 Saltwater Spin

Could probably get by for all my fishing needs with half that if need be as there's some duplication and overlap of purpose in the fleet.

..........in other words, 6

24 fly rods:
2 wt to 13 wt

spinning and salt water and plugging another 22

16 fly rods ranging from 5'1" to 11' and 2 to 8 weight (5 bamboo, 9 graphite and 2 fiberglass). The only non-bamboo rod I've fished in the last five years is a Sage 9' 8 wt which was relegated to 2nd string when I purchased a restored 1975 Orvis Wes Jordon 8' 8 wt last month.

18 spin/bait cast rods ranging from ultra light to down rigger rods. These are mostly boat rods kept on board for use by guests and my nieces and nephews.

I had to count them.

24 graphite flyrods from 2 to 8 weight
7 fiberglass flyrods from 3 to 8 weight
1 tenkara rod
1 bamboo 7'6" 5 weight.

Total-33 Wow more than I thought :-o

3 - 4wt rods of various lengths
3 - 5wt rods
3 - 6wt rods
1 - 6wt switch rod
1 - 7wt rod
4 - 8wt rods
1 - 9wt rod
1 - 8/9wt switch rod
17 fly rods + 6 bait casting rods + 2 spinning rods

4- 3wt, 5wt, 7wt, 10 wt.....Purchasing two more over the winter though and possibly building another

I have at least 12 total including some old clunker bamboos. I'm trying to reduce my number of rods. Keeping a few spares for family and friends though. Main ones I fish are a Winston 9' 4wt.(soft tip, ideal for dry flies) Loomis 9' 5 wt ( gets a bit more distance for big water), Orvis Far and Fine 7' 9" 5 wt (may be my overall favorite rod to fish and really shoots line in tight quarters) and Bass Pro 6'6" 3 wt.(mostly used on tiny streams). IF I could only have one it would be the Far and Fine. I've fished everything from tiny streams to the Delaware with it. It is very versatile. I mainly fish for trout. Could imagine a heavier rod for throwing real big streamers and bass fishing but the Loomis works okay for that.

I know I have at least 24 fly rods:

5 bamboo

5 glass

14 graphite

One can never have enough fly rods, and I have 2 custom glass rods currently being built for me. 26 and rising.

Just about enough for every fish and method.
Tip.: take pictures of them and write down brand and when bought. Just in case of theft or other calamity. GG

11 which is probably 10 more than needed.

1-3wt
1-4wt
4-5wt
3-6wt
2-7wt

a ten wt.
an 8 wt.
a 7 wt.
a 5/6 wt
a 4 wt
a 3 wt
two turtle doves and a partrige in a pear tree.

lestrout wrote:
I agree with Gencon that I pretty much need every stick I have. There are rods for specific waters, in specific seasons. I'll admit to getting a new rod for a particular pool, and in one case, an individual fish which I chased for a couple of weeks. In several cases, I got dupes of especially favorite actions, in case the model got discontinued.

I keep my rods all over the house and in my ffishing/puffing car. A lot of the rods are in repurposed wine racks: the ones for a case of bottles will hold 48 to 60 rods, depending on the design.

The way I keep count is by 'puter. Everything is on a spreadsheet, not physically in one spot.

Just picture the warehouse scene at the end of Raiders of the Last Ark... :)

Back