Recent Rain

Looking at the radar predictor, the north central part of the state and Northeast part of the state will get some much-needed rain. Everybody should get a little something. Early in the week of stalled front which will give us some showers and storms and then the tropical depression moving up the coast could give us a little bit more.
Near Lackawanna SP we had about 2" in the last 24 hours. The rain gauge at Tunckhannock Creek shows 2.6" in the last 36 hours. The next wave you mentioned should bring another 2"+. Before this week we were a bit dry, but not overly so. Things are getting pretty soggy. Can we turn the faucet off now?

I'm happy many areas are getting much needed rain, but when it comes heavily/fast, much of it runs off. We need all day steady soaking rain. We'll take what we can get at this point. Beggers can't be choosy.

We got a heavy downpour yesterday here in the Philly burbs, but it was short lived.

Would Kettle fish well after such a hot summer? I thought it was largely a stocked stream and it's been a very rough summer?

Would Kettle fish well after such a hot summer? I thought it was largely a stocked stream and it's been a very rough summer?
Dear JeffP,

I think what he means is if Kettle comes up it's a good sign that all the smaller brookie streams in the drainage got a good dose of rain too. They tend to fish well the weekend after a Thursday gully washer.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

We got a good soaking here in bucks co yesterday finally. A lot more is still needed but we havent had any slow steady soakers in 6 weeks easy prior to yesterday

JeffP,
The stocked portion of Kettle from the lake upstream to the upper stocked trout limit for the stream usually warms considerably and has lost substantial flow by the ends of the first or second wk in July. Water temps deteriorate downstream to upstream pretty quickly. Night fishing is still productive and one may still be able to have some daylight success, particularly in early morning and sometimes in specific isolated stretches at or just prior to dusk depending on water temp. June is good, but you take your chances in July regarding daylight fishing and the change in flow and water temps can happen quite quickly at that time of the year.

Dear JeffP,

I think what he means is if Kettle comes up it's a good sign that all the smaller brookie streams in the drainage got a good dose of rain too. They tend to fish well the weekend after a Thursday gully washer.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂
That's exactly what I meant. 👍
Since the gully washer was yesterday, and it was a gully washer, those streams will be in good shape this coming week. But, there's more rain predicted in the next few days, so it may be a little longer for them to get to good fishable levels.

As another forum member mentioned, it's better to have to wait for high water to come down, than have to hope for much needed rain.

Last edited:
Southwest Jersey got a mix of heavy and steady rain yesterday. .5 inches yesterday. My forecast shows about 6 of 7 days rain coming up. I hope that some of it hits NC Pennsylvania

If it's accurate..... forecast has rain every day for a week. That would be wonderful. Also, if I read the NOAA site correctly, has Susky in Sunbury going from 12,000 to over 120,000 in the next week.

We'll have to see what happens with the tropical storm. That could be a huge help

If it's accurate..... forecast has rain every day for a week. That would be wonderful. Also, if I read the NOAA site correctly, has Susky in Sunbury going from 12,000 to over 120,000 in the next week.

We'll have to see what happens with the tropical storm. That could be a huge help
Looking at the most recent weather forcast, it does look like we're in for several days of rain. Maybe a couple inches in some areas of Pa throughout the week. Great news.

Just saw an updated forcast for Pa, and we're in for a lot more rain than originally predicted this week. The USGS map is going to have a lot of dark blue and black dots covering most of the state. Gotta be careful what you wish for.

Back