Recent Rain

IMHO, a lawn with forbs (including clover) is much better than a lawn that's just pure grass.

I think it looks better. And it supports a lot more life (bees, butterflies, beetles etc.) And bugs support birds. And rabbits also probably do better if there is clover and other plants, rather than just grass.

Common forbs in lawns, all good IMHO, include clovers, dandelions, plantain, oxalis (yellow sorrel), smartweed, and chicory. And I'm probably missing a bunch more.

Predicted 70% once again yielded 0 the other night. Fri I have an outside gig with my band and also handling the PA. Thunderstorms? You can bet on it.

Continued derailment (or maybe just a side track): Voluntarily ditching traditional grass lawns for lower maintenance, more eco-friendly options can keep your yard looking nice and reduce impacts on watersheds. This is, of course, assuming you all don't have to contend with HOAs or other authoritarian hindrances. Here is an interesting discussion: https://www.plna.com/page/AlternativesToLawns

The Delaware river levels in Bucks County have been normal for July/August. While the river has gotten low, the levels are very agreeable for fishing and the bottom of my boat. It’s just been to hot for me to want to go out. As for grass, a healthy lawn can easily handle the heat and lack of a soaking rain. My lawn is a little dormant but largely alive and well with few to no weeds. Just the way I like it. Now my Basil is doing poorly and I’m blaming that on a lack of rain and to much city water.

Today's heavy thunderstorms really helped out in a lot of places. I've been waiting for this to be able to fish a certain stream, now I just have to wait until the stream flow goes down some. It's the best scenario for this time of year.

I drag my kayak a short distance out the conoy creek to get to the river, the conoy is a small put and take trout creek with little current. I was out for about 3 hours and when I got back it was a raging brown mess

Authority is what keeps something resembling order in a world full of people who don't know how to act. Just sayn'.
I agree....in the right measure.

Authority is what keeps something resembling order in a world full of people who don't know how to act. Just sayn'.
Dear wildtrout2,

I'll agree 100% with this if you will agree that many HOA's are run by people with a Napolean complex. My parents live in a townhouse complex where the homeowner's have replaced HOA administrators several times.

Some people let power go to their heads, which to me is just as bad as people who don't care about others in the neighborhood.

I won't rain on your parade if you don't rain on mine, just to get this back to rain! 😉

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

P.S. Where I live north of Harrisburg, we got nothing over the last two days. A brief shower maybe, and that's all. Ten miles away people got bombed. We need 2 or 3 straight days of actual rain badly!

Continued derailment (or maybe just a side track): Voluntarily ditching traditional grass lawns for lower maintenance, more eco-friendly options can keep your yard looking nice and reduce impacts on watersheds. This is, of course, assuming you all don't have to contend with HOAs or other authoritarian hindrances. Here is an interesting discussion: https://www.plna.com/page/AlternativesToLawns
Concerning HOA’s -

When you have a lot of people living in a housing complex, you have to have some rules I guess
Goes with the territory.

And when you decide to live somewhere like that, you know what you’re getting in to
If you don’t want to live by their rules, don’t move there then

7 day rainfall forecast has some potentially juicy totals for eastern PA. I know this can and will change, but fingers crossed for streams that have needed a good soaking since June.
And this could be a multi day event, possibly recharging the ground water.

Should help support a good snowpack and runoff next Spring too!

4703C046-119E-43A1-8A06-5571E348ACD8.jpeg

Looking at the radar predictor, the north central part of the state and Northeast part of the state will get some much-needed rain. Everybody should get a little something. Early in the week of stalled front which will give us some showers and storms and then the tropical depression moving up the coast could give us a little bit more.

I think my lawn has surpassed dormant and going directly to dead. It appears that I'm going to need to put down topsoil and overseed for the 7th year in a row. It looks fabulous up until mid June and then just completely died. Same old same old

I hate being part of a derailment, but FWIW, as long as there are people in authority, there will be people who abuse authority. They need to be sorted out and replaced. This scenario beats the hell out of chaos though.
Way to hack a thread. Where did it go off the rails?

Back to the original topic. 3 separate rain events here in the SE yesterday; one light, one moderate, and one heavy. Had a band gig that got the venue switched; went from out to inside and ultimately turned out fine for us. Meanwhile the whole event (Coatesville's First Friday) got cancelled. Our lawn is finally mostly green and we seem to be back in a pattern where the rain actually gets to us. Has to be good for the streams and water table.

Back