Private water

Hopefully, this clears up any existing confusion as to what I might do.

Yep, got it.

wbranch wrote:

Puleeeasssse you can forget about me. I'm sorry I even posed the inquiry in the first place. Opinions are fine but to tell you the truth I wasn't interested in opinions judging the merits, and lack there of, pertaining to private clubs and private waters.

Some of you guys hate the thought of private water. Sure, your telling me if you a chance to fish private water, with wild trout, you are going to say "No thanks, I won't ever fish private water". Yea, right.

Fair enough. I reread your OP, and agree. You weren’t looking for opinions on the angling morality of pay to fish outfits. Just opinions on what outfits are out there, and what experiences they offer. Apologies for participating in the thread deviating somewhat from your original intent.

But since it has, and in response to the second paragraph above, I think it’s important to remember there’s a distinction between private water, and monetized pay to fish private water.

As I mentioned earlier, everyone should make up their own mind, and not judge others whose decision is different than their own. It’s been a good thread and discussion for me. I’ve appreciated it. I don’t like the idea of pay to fish clubs, but I have stayed at places like Harman’s or Rough Cut Lodge in PA and very much enjoyed myself. I’d like to think those places are different than a private fishing club with dues/fees, but are they really? I’m not so sure after thinking about it. Makes me think I’ve possibly been a bit hypocritical. I like staying at those places, and when I do I spend most of my time fishing off property on public land (I enjoy small stream wild Trout fishing), and the NFSB Potomac and Pine Creek aren’t exactly small wild Trout streams, but I do usually fish the evening rise to the stockers on the property. It’s got me thinking though whether I should even be partaking of the fishing at all? Or even supporting these outfits by just purchasing lodging there.

Like I said, I dunno. It’s not an easy answer. But I’m appreciative of the thread and that it’s got me thinking about it.

Swattie 87 wrote;

I think it’s important to remember there’s a distinction between private water, and monetized pay to fish private water.

Absolutely. Read my comment #53. All of the private water streams I have fished are pay by the day only. No clubs have existed on them for over fifty years. The trout are all wild and can come and go as they desire because they exit into much larger wild trout rivers.

I wonder what these private places that you pay by the day are doing that makes the fishing so good? I mean the Montana ones with wild fish.
Are there places in PA that are pay by the day and have good fishing for wild fish?

Water is water......streams are streams. I'm appreciative of being able to fish private or public waters. Each (public and private) have their merits and downsides.

Property ownership comes with rights and responsibilities which 99% of outdoorsmen understand.

I'm glad to be able to get out and fish\hunt when and where I can.

FWIW

It seems to me, in the Montana scenario wbranch outlined, the allure of pay by the day private waters is limiting crowding of the stream. I would be inclined to do that if/when I make a trip out there. I've had more days than I care to recall when I visualized a certain "experience" on, for example, the Upper Delaware only to find it was way too crowded for me to enjoy.

Having said that, I would only enjoy fishing private waters if the fish were wild.

Just a thought: Maybe the hate towards private waters is based on a forbidden fruit mindset.

Not that anyone asked for my opinion, but this an internet message board. ;)

larkmark wrote:
I wonder what these private places that you pay by the day are doing that makes the fishing so good? I mean the Montana ones with wild fish.
Are there places in PA that are pay by the day and have good fishing for wild fish?

Well it's Montana so there's fantastic fishing in abundance already. They are not really doing anything special. The commercialization of certain waters in MT is effect of quality fishing, not the cause. Also, keep in mind that most of the more popular pay to play streams are spring creeks so that factor also helps the fishing.

Due to the nature of MT access laws, the pay to play areas are pretty much limited to spring creeks which can be restricted if the spring source is on the property, artificial slough and irrigation channels, or remote sections of streams which do not have bridge crossings and are thus impracticable for the public to reach without paying an access fee.

wbranch,

If you are located where I think you are (close to Cumberland and Adams Counties), then I don' t think you really need to join any particular club. So much of the best water in your area is relatively easy to access, there are abundant large, wild fish to be caught, and fish can be caught at all levels of technical difficulty. Between the small streams in Adams County and the limestone streams in Cumberland (and Franklin) Counties, you could spend a lifetime chasing large, wild fish of all three species. A lifetime ago, when I used to guide there, I guided almost entirely public water, and there were plenty of easy access points with reasonably safe wading. Give that area a good, close look and you might see what I did.

When I was a young boy I vacationed at a dude ranch in northwestern Wyoming. I've been there a total of four times through my mid-twenties.

Sunlight Creek flowed through that private property.

This is where I learned to fly fish. The cutthroats were native and the brookies were stocked, and they are obviously not native west of the Appalachian Mountains.

I don't think that the ranch owner, who was one of my grandfather's college classmates, had anything to do with how those stocked ever got there. All that I remember is that I was a young boy learning how to fly fish and catching trout.

Humpy's were what brought those trout in Sunlight Creek to the surface. I was too young to know anything about hatches or care. I just had a great time as a very young boy catching trout.

Please keep up the holier than thou moral arguments regarding fishing or not fishing on private water and/or club water.

I find these types of discussions the most amusing aspect of the psyche and attitudes of fly fishermen and fly fishing in general.

...this $hit cracks me up!!

For Bamb --

Here's a holier than thou for you. Many years ago when I was young and had become more active in the local TU group, I somehow won a free fishing day to the Spruce Cr. Rod & Gun Club. I turned it down, believing that fishing should not be locked up behind posted signs for paid members. I still feel pretty much this way.

However, I have no qualms about fishing private, posted water where gracious landowners allow me to fish, despite problems they have had with other "fishermen." In fact, I am grateful that they continue to allow me to access their properties. In my mind, this is different from private club fishing.

This is in no way to suggest that WB should not try to find a private club or two. In fact, I admire his desire to continue to fish, esp. since he is a little older than I am (70). I hope he finds a place or two that he is comfortable with.

Well, Bamb, I hope this cracks you up.

Holy-er, than thou! This might be the problem! I am a servant of thou.

And for holiness, I have sinned! Lots!

But that's me!

Maxima12

Much can be learned from Wbranch. This gentleman shows it----point blank! This gentleman knows it! I envy the man! Does envy make me less holy?

let me rephrase! I respect the man. I do not know him but wish I did!

The life he has and the life I wish I had! Not a whole lot different but Wbranch did it and I only thought of it or wished it!

Here is a man to follow, ask questions, get facts, resources! Wbranch follies, I would bet, better than any book! And you don't have to read it! He will tell you! If you ask!

Respectfully yours, John Fave

Wow Maxi, the man crush runs deep.

Your fawning and adoration is only a "little bit" over the top, considering the topic here and that you've never met the man.

Bamboozle wrote:

Please keep up the holier than thou moral arguments regarding fishing or not fishing on private water and/or club water.

I find these types of discussions the most amusing aspect of the psyche and attitudes of fly fishermen and fly fishing in general.

The same "holier than thou" argument could be made against somebody who tries to police the thoughts of anybody who disagrees with them.

ColdBore wrote:

The same "holier than thou" argument could be made against somebody who tries to police the thoughts of anybody who disagrees with them.
Huh?

Bamboozle wrote:

Huh?

I always find it ironic when somebody pulls the holier than thou move, criticizing people for what they think, while ignoring that they are thinking things about the person they are accusing.

To those of you who say they will never fish private clubs or pay to fish water...wait till time and physical restrictions take over your abilities. I've been an amputee for close to 40 yrs and I've fly fished almost all those years.I waded big creeks and deep and fast water on crutches, but now im older and can no longer navigate those type of waters.I would be happy to find a few places that I could either join or pay for a day of good fishing. I can no longer walk long distances to get to prime spots and I won't take too many chances wading after my last mishap ....so I understand WB looking for a comfortable place to go enjoy a day of fishing. Rather than quit one of my greatest loves ill find a way to continue even if I have to pay. I say this with no disrespect to anyone who has a different opinion.

Back