Private water

wbranch wrote:
Far too many trout under 12" to give me any pleasure on public water. (Not that smaller trout don't give guys pleasure - it's just they don't give me much pleasure) Probably more fish per hour of angling.

Be careful of what you wish for. I've fished a few pay-to-play places (mostly on Spruce) and once at each was enough. They all had large enough, numerous enough, and dumb enough fish that a full day of fishing was honestly not that enjoyable. An hour or two was enough really.

I turned down a free opportunity to fish the Yellow Creek Club last year because I knew that I wouldn't enjoy it based on what I had seen of it online and my experiences at other places.

If it's your thing and you think you'd enjoy it, by all means, go for it. Personally, the experience was devoid of almost everything I enjoy about fishing.

PennKev wrote:
wbranch wrote:
Far too many trout under 12" to give me any pleasure on public water. (Not that smaller trout don't give guys pleasure - it's just they don't give me much pleasure) Probably more fish per hour of angling.

Be careful of what you wish for. I've fished a few pay-to-play places (mostly on Spruce) and once at each was enough. They all had large enough, numerous enough, and dumb enough fish that a full day of fishing was honestly not that enjoyable. An hour or two was enough really.

I turned down a free opportunity to fish the Yellow Creek Club last year because I knew that I wouldn't enjoy it based on what I had seen of it online and my experiences at other places.

If it's your thing and you think you'd enjoy it, by all means, go for it. Personally, the experience was devoid of almost everything I enjoy about fishing.

Good advise ^.

I was gifted a two day trip to fish private water on Spruce Creek a while back. A lot of big fish caught but it was not an experience I enjoyed at all.

I can't recommend any specific club, but the best advice I can give is to fish the club water first as a guest, before joining.

With some due diligence, you may be able to find a private club that fits the bill for you for trout fishing.

Troutbert's post recommending finding a spot to moor a boat on the Susky is a really good one. Hopefully the River returns to normal flows to allow good fishing. Smallie fishing is loads of fun and the season is fairly long if conditions permit.

Good luck in your search.

So the conewago fly fishing club was brought up as a close option for you. Their site is down but I found an email you should try gene@flyfisher.com. Give that a shot, fits your bill, all catch and release fly fishing on a nice stretch of water.

As far as the Delaware, look me up in the summer, I would row for you or help shuttle a few times with some advanced notice. Note I don’t have any experience with the D or much rowing for that matter but I am 35 and plenty of kayak experience and know how to read the water.

Also, there are a lot of places with good access around us like falling spring, and some freestones in York and surrounding counties. Md could be another option as well, Savage river, Casselman, patomic might be a stretch but options none the less.

PennKev wrote;

It's interesting that you mentioned that. Quite a few years ago, probably at least fifteen, my wife and I spent a long weekend via Trout & About fishing the lower Harpster water. It was insanely easy and after three days I had more than enough catching loads of 15" - 22" pellet heads. There were so many fish I didn't even count fish under 15". But it was fun for my wife and I enjoyed the guide spending time with her.

At the time and for may years after I said to myself that I'd never want to fish there again. But now my opinion is changing and since access to the water is very easy, even for people with mobility issues, I could easily get into going there a few days a week throughout the season. I've had decades of ultra technical dry fly fishing. Stupid and gullible is okay now and then.

Pictures from that trip.

Attachments

• Hidden valley rainbow.jpg
    Hidden valley rainbow.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Spruce Creek Rainbow.jpg
    Spruce Creek Rainbow.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Private Spring.jpg
    Private Spring.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Another big brown!.jpg
    Another big brown!.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 7
Here is a YouTube link for the conewago fly fishers. It has all the contact info at the end of the video as well. Never fished here and never will but it’s close and may be apealing to you.

I have a good friend who has access to private water on spruce creek.
And occasionally get invites to fish there with him.

Catching those large, pellet fed fish is a nice change of pace
But for the most part, I still prefer to head a few miles down the road to the little j - and "real" trout fishing.

That said, I can understand where WB is coming from.
My achy knees are making it increasingly difficult to wade large water

At Fishermans Paradise you can fish from the banks. You don't even need to "boot up." So it's kind of like Spruce Creek, but without having to shovel out money.

The trout there generally aren't very big, but they are wild browns. And the dry fly fishing is often good.

The atmosphere is friendly and relaxed there. There are picnic tables. People hang out and talk fishing.

There are numerous other places on Spring Creek where you do have to boot up, but where the access is easy.

During a hatch, many people will just get into a good spot and stay there and fish to rising trout, without moving very far.

I hear Rambo Run in York Co. is multiple thousands a years. Mostly stocked fish. Waiting list of course. Private clubs although I hate the idea of it is maybe the future for some of us. I have considered the same thing from time to time. I really should consider moving instead because this area is changing in some very bad ways.

PennKev wrote:

wbranch wrote:

... I had more than enough catching loads of 15" - 22" pellet heads.

Yellow Creek is nothing BUT pellets.

Twice a day, every day. WHIIIIIRRR. Mad scramble of fish, and guys standing under the feeders just waiting for that two minute window of feeding frenzy.

I thought mop flies were bad, until I saw guys fishing "pellet flies" at Yellow Creek.

I'd rather get skunked than to watch that clown show again.

WB,

I am sorry you feel that you might have to look for posted waters. However, at my age (only a couple of years your junior), I can understand why you might have to do it. I have had more trouble wading this year than ever before, esp. on larger waters. I know I am going to have to spend even more of my time on smaller streams. I think I'm going to have to get a wading staff somewhere, too.

Anyhow, best of luck on your search for a club or two. I hope you can find one at a reasonable rate.

rrt wrote,

I am sorry you feel that you might have to look for posted waters.

I can still fish big water as long as the current isn't really swift. I waded 1' - 2.5' for twelve days on my 2019 Montana trip and had good fishing and landed many big fish on dries. I'm looking for private water so I have options and admittedly it will make it easier for mw to wade.

I fished Conewago in early April 2012. My father and his buddy were old friends with the Riverkeeper. Being more internet savvy than the two old timers, I wanted to organize a reunion of guys that hadn’t fished together in 40 years. Had no idea their friend had this connection to a club. The Conewago where I fished it was small, very much like a NCPA brook trout stream, maybe the size of Hammersley Fork. They also had some private ponds with large brook trout. The people I met there were great guys. I really enjoyed their company, their stories and their hospitality.

What about all of the clubs in the poconos? I know alot of them are class a, or close to it for wild brown trout. Some of the wild browns will turn to pellets if the stocked fish are fed. And they become huge. There are a plethora of clubs in the poconos

Wbranch, your the kind of guy, I would like to get my hands on! You remind me of my old pal- Eddy Holtz- from South Side. PA. South Williamsport Pa. Lowe St., right across from me! A football star, turkey hunter and fisherman! And may I add, a tough guy!

Boy, did we ever catch fish! Eddie is gone but :not gone quite yet".

Tough, yes getting older, Nightmare! Getting older and looking for "Easy". Well, if it was that easy, "I would be living on the French Riverara, Sipping champagne and talking to beautiful women".

Unfortunately, It wasn't easy for me! "Still walking the hard path".

Maxima12

fisherboy3 wrote:
There are a plethora of clubs in the poconos

That is true.

Plethora: overabundance, excess.

If money is no object by all means look at the Pocono clubs but most are scary expensive in the 5 figure range just to get in.

If money was no object for me, I'd join the Pohoqualine Fish Association along the upper McMichaels with access to Hypsie Creek, Fall Creek and Bowers Run.

Their water is absolutely gorgeous!!

If you live in the area, you can get a permit to fish there.

Fisherboy wrote;

What about all of the clubs in the poconos? I know alot of them are class a, or close to it for wild brown trout.

Too far away. Because the upper Brodhead is way off the beaten path it takes me as long to get there as it does to my own private cabin on the WB Delaware with more and even bigger wild trout. Besides at least there I can float the Hyde and not have to wade at all. All Delaware dry fly browns.

Attachments

• Biggest dry fly brown.jpg
    Biggest dry fly brown.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Mystery River (570x640).jpg
    Mystery River (570x640).jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Mainstem Brown (500x350).jpg
    Mainstem Brown (500x350).jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 5
Bamboozle wrote;

If money is no object by all means look at the Pocono clubs but most are scary expensive in the 5 figure range just to get in.

It's no object to me, but it is to my wife!! :) :) - Just kidding.

Thank you to everyone for your ideas, comments, and offers to fish with me and give me a hand with the Hyde and the bass boat.

Back