Private water

Private waters make me cringe! I understand if you own land with good fishing on it to maybe regulate the amount of people and what can be harvested but to keep the public completely away really bothers me. People who fish private waters are like these hunters who go to private ranches and kill big bucks. Anyone could do it as long as you have money...there's very little to be proud of!

wbranch wrote:
Thank you to everyone for your ideas, comments, and offers to fish with me and give me a hand with the Hyde and the bass boat.

Pursuing the boat at a marina idea a little further.

If you had a boat at Port Deposit, MD, you could boat and fish the lower Susquehanna River, and also cruise out into the Chesapeake Bay.

I fished with some friends on their boat at the very upper end of the bay, many years ago, probably about 1970. We had good fishing for largemouth bass, fishing along a forested shoreline.

I also went fishing with a neighbor in the Delaware Bay, in the 1980s, and we had good catches of sea trout and bluefish.

I haven't done much of that type of fishing at all, but really enjoyed it.

It would also be fun to find a place to go crabbing. Blue crabs are delicious.

RE Post 41 -- Perhaps you do cringe at the thought of private water. But, streams are being increasingly posted. One major reason is poor behavior by those who are permitted there who cause the water to become posted. Around here, places have been posted because of fishermen (probably) cutting fences, a fisherman who had his dog with him and permitted it to chase cows (value of more than $1000 apiece) around a meadow, littering (not as bad as it once was), overharvesting of trout a property owner was trying to allow to flourish, and disrespect toward a landowner by a fisherman. I feel fortunate that these property owners still permit me to fish on their properties. If they did not, I think I might be in the same situation WB finds himself in and might have to seek to join a private property.

Perhaps I have "little to be proud of" fishing these private sections of water that have been posted b/c of others' crass behavior, but I do not feel that way. I appreciate the trout I c/r in these places, esp. the wild ones, and I appreciate these landowners allowing me to continue to fish these spots after they were posted.

Big John: I would not be so sanctimonious as to lump all private waters into one pile. Perhaps anglers behave better around Williamsport than they often do around here, but the local guys who have posted have had good reasons to post -- and it's a wonder that even more properties haven't been posted.

Anyhow, back to WB. I hope you find a place or two that suits your needs.

Bigjohn wrote;

People who fish private waters are like these hunters who go to private ranches and kill big bucks. Anyone could do it as long as you have money...there's very little to be proud of!

Sir, you don't know me, you've never fished with me, and have no real knowledge of my fly fishing credentials and why I might want to fish private water. Why then would you feel you can make a sweeping comment about people, me included, who might want to fish private water?

What makes a private club, in this case, private fishing club work, is membership on a continued basis. Just going once or twice a year, actually hurts private clubs.

Wbranch, you are probably the person a private club would want. Someone who loves fishing and outdoors, someone who has the ability to captivate the members with stories and equiptment know how. Knowledge of flyfishing that would promote other members ability to catch, bigger and more trout.

You have the desire and the will. Go for it, give it a try. If it does not turn out, at least you tried. If it does work out, most likely you will be captain of the flyfishing crew.

now, that's a thought.

Maxima12

Wbranch on a lighter note, maybe a club with this in mind! Not what the club can do for you, what you can do for the club!

Let's face it some clubs have bad members that disrupt!
Some are hidden gems with brotherly members!

M12

I have fished a lot of privite clubs when younger, being older and losing the ability to run, i fish them less often!

maxima12 wrote:

I have fished a lot of privite clubs when younger, being older and losing the ability to run, i fish them less often!

:lol: Now that's funny!!!!

Maxima12 wrote;

If it does work out, most likely you will be captain of the flyfishing crew.

Hey, flattery will get you everywhere!

I have to question any club that wants me as a member.

maxima12 wrote:

LOL!!! Best post ever.

wbranch wrote:
Bigjohn wrote;

People who fish private waters are like these hunters who go to private ranches and kill big bucks. Anyone could do it as long as you have money...there's very little to be proud of!

Sir, you don't know me, you've never fished with me, and have no real knowledge of my fly fishing credentials and why I might want to fish private water. Why then would you feel you can make a sweeping comment about people, me included, who might want to fish private water?

I just don't like the idea of private waters. I understand having special regulations OR regulating the people who are allowed on your property eliminating those who will not follow the rules you permit. I just hate seeing people having to spend money just to participate in a sport. Heck a lot of people think you shouldn't even need a license to participate (not me however). Private waters makes it a rich man's game for the elite. I guess a lot of the hate goes back to Donny Beaver or whatever his name is. He just gave private waters a horrible look. I look though at where I live and there's lots of opportunity for all types of anglers in my area on the public streams. Spring Creek has all kinds of access even for handicap anglers along with several other streams. Maybe I'm just blessed for living in the area I live in with all the access we do have and not seeing the need for private waters.

In general, I think pay to fish water is not a good thing for anglers or the sport. Private, and posted water is a different deal…That’s the landowners choice, and that’s fine. Nothing wrong with that.

I’m not going to judge someone else for how they enjoy spending their money, or how much of it they have. And I have stayed at places like Harman's before, and to a degree, outfits like that fit this mold I guess.

For those who support pay to fish outfits, something to think about though…An unintended side effect of this may be more and more pay to fish type access as landowners realize there may be money to be made from offering limited access to their properties. This creates a whole host of downstream (NPI) issues. Look at hunting lease properties, or how stream access works in parts of Europe for examples.

I’m certain we can agree that a system where you have to book and pay for a “beat time” on a stream (think tee time for golf) for access to a certain pre-determined section for a pre-determined amount of time is not a good thing. Publicly owned land in theory should be better insulated from this, but I’ll stop short of saying it's immune to it…Look at campsites in SP’s and some SF’s…You have to book and pay to reserve them. When there’s money to be made, poor decisions and behaviors sometimes follow.

Just some thoughts to consider in your decision making. Do what you think is right for you.

Bigjohn58 wrote;

Private waters makes it a rich man's game for the elite.

I need to make the distinction from private clubs and private waters.

Private clubs limit participation in the fishing and property access to a specific number of members. Typically they require a one time initiation fee and then an annual fee if the member wants to stay in the club. Many private fishing clubs have long waiting lists to become a member. Possibly many years wait.

Private water, as I know it, is water that someone owns via the property they own and there is either a lake or stream, or both, on said private property.

The owner may elect to offer pay by the day angling on that property and make whatever rules they wish to be implemented on that private water.

Probably many private clubs are very expensive to join and meet the required annual dues. Private water on the other hand is for someone who has $100 (could be more or it could be less depending on the popularity of the water and the season) and wants to spend a day, or several, fishing in an environment with lots of fish (they could be wild) with less anglers.

I know of three private water venues where you make a reservation and will be fishing over wild trout from 15" - 21" and you will see no more than half a dozen guys all day. Two wild trout from private water. At the time it cost me a whopping $30 a day.

Attachments

• Fat Rainbow at upper end.jpg
    Fat Rainbow at upper end.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Nelson's Brown.jpg
    Nelson's Brown.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 6
My buddy belongs to a private fish club. I fish there frequently with him. He owns a Business and takes customers there. Many of his customers really enjoy the day as it is different than a typical golf outing.

The club has a pavilion with a fireplace. Some of my fondest memories are sitting around that fireplace on a very cold morning talking fishing and solving the world's problems.

It terms of the fishing experience, it is typically great. The average fish is in the 14-15" range with some toads up to 30". It is a great off season fishery. Unfortunately, the water gets too warm in summer and many fish perish. But from March through early June and in the fall, fishing can be outstanding.

I greatly enjoy going to central Pa and doing my technical fishing year round too. I still love that. Interestingly, the trout club has lessened my desire to Steelhead fish. I still fish for Steelhead occasionally, but I get my big fish "fix" at the club versus competing with the masses on the tribs.

I have a different view of fishing clubs than most here.

Overall i feel like pay to fish clubs have little to no detrimental effect on the PA trout fishing experience.
Almost all of the best water has easements or access. And tons of B rated water, so much you cant fish it all in your lifetime.

Only a few good creeks come to mind when discussing fishing clubs.
Lackawaxen, warriors mark, spruce, spring run , Tulpehocken etc....

However, i can think a few lesser known waters with clubs where they have enhanced the publics fishing access with nicer fish that wonder into public areas.
In fact more than a few .

Its a double edge sword.

Wbranch,

I would join Creamton on the Lackawaxen. Its a good place to fish. Expensive but nice.

Wbranch,

You could just cancel out my above post and here is my advice.

Learn to love the Lackawanna River. Free to fish, tons of huge browns and loads of easy access.

Also tons of free loads of shopping carts , "browns" and shady characters but it hasent stopped me :lol:

Hey, wbranch, i fished the Lakawaxen in the town of Hawley! Back then stayed at a friends cabin! Friend and cabin gone! Good fishing and lots of it. A real tough wading stream, i thought! At this place, if the horn blew, get out of the water!

And another thing, I found private water can be fished if you are willing to be nice and respectful! I have some private water i can fish but never have! Well, maybe, someday i will. I have found Pa. gives me enough free water, I find it hard to find time to fish Private!

As they say the grass is always greener on the otherside. Never quite got there. Still looking at the dandlions and weeds. And a big rock to sit on!

Maxima12

Wallyfish wrote:

The club has a pavilion with a fireplace. Some of my fondest memories are sitting around that fireplace on a very cold morning talking fishing and solving the world's problems.

It terms of the fishing experience, it is typically great. The average fish is in the 14-15" range with some toads up to 30". It is a great off season fishery. Unfortunately, the water gets too warm in summer and many fish perish.

Yellow Creek?

Not a private water or club guy but looking 40 years from now I may look at things differently.

I will say I would never fish the dsr in a million years. If you are going to pay for private water the owner should at least put the fish there. I would never pay a dime for private access to catch fish the public paid for.

moon1284 wrote:
Not a private water or club guy but looking 40 years from now I may look at things differently.

I will say I would never fish the dsr in a million years. If you are going to pay for private water the owner should at least put the fish there. I would never pay a dime for private access to catch fish the public paid for.

Thats what I hate about a lot of private clubs. The DSR is different because those fish migrate but private clubs especially on wild streams SHOULD NOT be stocking fish. The state should still have some say on what can and cannot be done on these streams from an environmental stand point.

Back