Private water

wbranch

wbranch

I've been considering trying to get into a private trout club within 125 miles of York, PA. I have no idea where to look for a club and was wondering if any Forum members might know of any and what the membership requirements are. I'd prefer fishing over wild trout but stocked fish are okay. Driving up to my cabin on the Delaware is getting old after 23 years. Aging and my mobility limitations are hindering my ability to wade. Thanks in advance.

Since you are selling everything else, can I buy your cabin?? Jk jk

I don’t do the stocked trout thing or clubs but why not the Yellow creek trout club

Yes sir, getting old, not getting any easier. Let me ask this question? Private club ----- will it serve your purpose any better? Wbranch, I know you did it all. Our gang is getting old also! I might be the youngest at 63. Believe it or not, the "Gang", about 4 to 6, just likes fishing. We get together at 4 diff. camps. Kettle being the far camp.

Through my building friendships with others, these camps are open to the gang. Generally speaking we all throw in $25.00 bucks a piece for the rent of a week or $15.00 for a few days. Bring our own food, do some repairs if needed while there, burn their cut wood and sleep like baby's. Although we have been a close knit group, I have on occasion invited someone who I thought would mix right in.

I would say we go fishing for one thing, "to fish", generally all day, I guess about 12 hours. Take chairs, fireside burgers and dogs, make friends, and live large.

Now, if you think you can mix with regular guys, sleep on an old mattress, tell some tails, drink some rum and cokes and be happy without frills and drills, maybe, just maybe, you might want to come along! We are not "know it all's", loud, arrogant, disruptive, deviant or impulsive. We are fishermen!

We help each other and we have been helping each other for as long as I can remember!

You can club with good results or hang with lasting memories.

I guess Wbranch, an invitation is yours! I am the craziest but it takes crazy to keep it going over the decades.

Maxima12

Wbranch, your journey would start in Muncy Pa. I would open my home to you as a base camp. From Muncy we will then travel to destinations. Generally we stop for breakfast along the way at favorite hotspot, pick up a case of beer or so. It is a lot of fun, go to the butcher shop for some fresh sausage. A caravan of excitement and enthusiasm. Stop for some good cheese!

Out of all you have done, "this might be the best".

Give me a call, if interested in a great trip! Search the forum, # is here.

You can also call Jenny, 8675309! She knows me!

HopBack wrote:

I don’t do the stocked trout thing or clubs but why not the Yellow creek trout club

I've got seconds on the cabin. :-D

As for the Yellow Creek Trout Club...

I've fished there as few times as a "guest" of a member (I paid for my guest pass).

I wouldn't recommend it, especially at the full yearly membership rate.

Many years ago my father was a member of the Laurel Fish and Game Association just north of Gettysburg. I never fished there with him and don't know anything about the membership requirements.

I fished at a R&G club near Gettysburg with a friend years ago. It may have been the same place for all I know. That would be much less than 125 miles from York.

You may want to check to see if the Rambo Run Club in York Co still exists.

I mean no offense with this question so please take none. Why a trout club? Why not just fish public water near where you reside? Is it because of easier access and maintained grounds and whatnot?

There are some trout clubs in upper Adams County, roughly an hour drive from vicinity York.

Please check your PM...

Jifigz,

Why a trout club? Why not just fish public water near where you reside? Is it because of easier access and maintained grounds and
whatnot?

Why a trout club? Far fewer anglers. No one encroaching too close to where I have chosen to fish. Far too many trout under 12" to give me any pleasure on public water. (Not that smaller trout don't give guys pleasure - it's just they don't give me much pleasure) Probably more fish per hour of angling. Yes, I like the thought of maintained grounds and access. I was invited to private water on the upper Brodhead. Lovely water, beautiful forested surroundings, steps down to the river, and lots of mayflies. I caught fish too. It is just too far of a drive. Another half hour and I'm in my own private cabin with 1/4 mile of not heavily fished water and far bigger trout.

I don't like the Letort. I never liked it very much even before 2017 when I had my injury. Not enough insects and hardly ever any rising trout. Muddy Creek is close but some of the open water is just too hard for me to get to and the other water that I have fished doesn't seem to have very much in the way of mayflies or other aquatic insects.

Spring Creek is nice but it seems like it is getting more and more crowded every year. Too many really small brown trout with most being less than 11". Probably what I would like just doesn't exist. My ideal water for an older, over 75, fly fisher would be a gently flowing spring creek about 25' wide and 1' - 3' deep. Very plentiful mayfly and caddis flies, large wild browns and rainbows, and no one fishing within 150' of me.

I know where such water flows the problem is it is 2,185 miles from my home. Here is a nice brown from that water.

Attachments

• SW Montana (500x500).jpg
    SW Montana (500x500).jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 10
Hopback and Cold Bore,

I'll keep you guys in mind. When it does go up for sale it will be a package sale. Cabin and all the furnishings and a Bucks Bag Bronco pontoon boat. A few years ago a realtor came by and did a walk through and said she could sell it within one week. The price she said she could get was attractive. I'm just not ready yet. Even if I am totally unable to wade I still have the Hyde and I'll either have to pay for 2 - 3 shuttles a week or find some younger fellow who will give me a hand and be willing to spend a few days on the river with me.

Yellow Breeches Anglers & Conservation Association in Boiling Springs is another option. The beeches has many easy access areas. The club stocks 14,000 trout per year, many well over the 12" size. There is also a catch and release area that provides even more access.

Canoetripper wrote:
Many years ago my father was a member of the Laurel Fish and Game Association just north of Gettysburg. I never fished there with him and don't know anything about the membership requirements.

I fished at a R&G club near Gettysburg with a friend years ago. It may have been the same place for all I know. That would be much less than 125 miles from York.

This may have been on Conewago Creek, upstream from Arendstville. There is a club up there, but I don't know the name of it.

A totally different solution to the problem of having difficulty wading, but still wanting to fish, is to buy a boat and fish from that.

Living in York County, you'd have lots of opportunities nearby for boating and fishing on the Susquehahanna River and the Chesapeake Bay. And it's not that far to the Delaware Bay also.

Maybe you could find a place to permanently dock a boat on one of the pools of the Susquehanna. Then you could just make a short drive over there, get in the boat and cruise on out there. Rather than having to do the whole trailering thing each time.

My father did the same thing. A club was perfect for him in his latter years. It not only provided all of the things you mentioned but also gave him some new buddies to hang out with and a place to volunteer his time on various club events like club improvements, pancakes breakfasts and children derbies. It was not only about fishing but also filled a social need. Just can't remember the name of it. Doesn't matter there are plenty around. Good luck in your search.

Joe Bamboo wrote;

There is also a catch and release area that provides even more access.

Are you referring to the section from where the "Run" enters to down river from Allenberry? I have tried to cross that riffle where the Run enters and it was just too swift for me and I felt I wouldn't be able to get across. I did stay at the Allenberry resort with my wife back in September and learned anglers are allowed to park in a specific parking area and walk just a short distance to access the stream. I might be doing that in 2020.

Troutbert wrote;

Maybe you could find a place to permanently dock a boat on one of the pools of the Susquehanna. Then you could just make a short drive over there, get in the boat and cruise on out there. Rather than having to do the whole trailering thing each time.

Hey, I really like that idea a lot. Hooking up the boat at my home and getting it into the river and back on the trailer at the end of the day is a big nuisance for me. It is the biggest single reason why I have used the boat so much less than before September 2017. I will surely look into that option. After I get back from Montana in early July I only go up to the cabin every other week so I could be fishing the Susky more often. Thanks for the idea.

There used to be a club in the Conewago Narrows above Arendtsville. They advertised in the Mid-Atlantic Fly Fishing mag. I don't know if it's still there, but it's a beautiful place to fish.

Troutbert,

I already own two hard sided boats, a Hyde drift and a Lowe bass boat as well as two pontoon boats. I keep a frameless pontoon boat in MT all the time so I don't have to ship it every time I go out. Here is the Montana boat.

Attachments

• DSCF7329 (500x295).jpg
    DSCF7329 (500x295).jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 4
Hello Maxima,

Hey, thanks for that gracious invitation to hang out with a bunch elder fly fishers. I'll be looking for that phone number and giving you a call. Maybe you could give me a hand with the Hyde once in awhile.

Attachments

• DSCF7289 (500x281).jpg
    DSCF7289 (500x281).jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 3
wbranch wrote:
Troutbert wrote;

Hey, I really like that idea a lot. Hooking up the boat at my home and getting it into the river and back on the trailer at the end of the day is a big nuisance for me. It is the biggest single reason why I have used the boat so much less than before September 2017. I will surely look into that option. After I get back from Montana in early July I only go up to the cabin every other week so I could be fishing the Susky more often. Thanks for the idea.

If you Google "marina susquehanna river" you'll find some possibilities.

Back