Pflueger Reintroduces New Medalist Fly Reel

Well afish, I was really looking for an answer from Fred so I could understand his point of view.

Some fly fishereman would argue some of the points that you posted. I know a number of fly fisherman use fiberglass rods for big water/big fish, and they don't feel encumbered or handicapped. Check out some of the pictures on FiberglassFlyrodders, fishing heavy artillery for big stripers, etc. I cast heavy flies with relative ease for bass using an 8 ft. 6 weight Phillipson that was made in the 50's. Glass has come a long way since then.

Big game fishing is why Epic makes "fast glass". I don't particularly enjoy it, but I don't usually fish "big game".

outsider wrote:
Well afish, I was really looking for an answer from Fred so I could understand his point of view.

Some fly fishereman would argue some of the points that you posted. I know a number of fly fisherman use fiberglass rods for big water/big fish, and they don't feel encumbered or handicapped. Check out some of the pictures on FiberglassFlyrodders, fishing heavy artillery for big stripers, etc. I cast heavy flies with relative ease for bass using an 8 ft. 6 weight Phillipson that was made in the 50's. Glass has come a long way since then.

Just trying to point out the differences in rods for the guys. Different strokes....all good > Glass, Boo, Graphite...your choice.

outsider wrote:

Afish pretty much summed up the differences between the two . And I believe in using the better tool for the job when fly fishing. I think that if someone would want to argue the points given I would say that they probably have some financial interest in glass rods . Everyone has there own preference on how they fish some like to get all nostalgic and use vintage rods or vintage new age rods. But for me using a glass rod is just as effective as nymphing the D with a 6' 2 wt .

Back